5.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me realize how important my daughter is
Published on 7 Nov. 2001 by sue.deme@virgin.net

3.0 out of 5 stars Rose by any other name
mmm - not convinced that I like this - much of what comes quite naturally to loving parents is
relabelled here as mindful parenting - I felt a bit like an interloper .......
Published 18 months ago by Cassandra

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me realize how important my daughter is, 7 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting (Paperback)
Parenting is such a shock, plus there is no rule book! Mindful parenting has helped me realize how important it is to understand your child and make them feel loved, understood, safe, and worth listening too. As a mother I am continously being tested by my daughter, particularly when she is angry, fed up and generally being a monster! The book has helped me appreciate that when our children are at their most difficult, that is the time we must be the most understanding, tolerant and calming! If I feel I am going off track i.e shouting and not thinking or listening to my daughter, I just pick up the book and it centers me; I once again find my compassion and tolerance. Wonderful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zen parenting. Wherever you go, your kids are there too., 17 Sept. 1997
By A Customer
The Kabat-Zinns bring a fresh perspective to parenting, one that allows you and your children to be who you are, without preconceptions or restrictive expectations. It applies basic Zen precepts to child-rearing, such as living fully in the moment and acceptance. The Kabat-Zinns emphasize the need to respect the child's "sovereignty" (their word) which might be loosely translated as power or independence. I personally had a little difficulty with this concept as it seems to imply letting the little buggers get away with all sorts of infractions and deemphasizes the need to foster their consideration of others and behavioral limits. Overall, the authors can be vague and one wishes for a concrete directive for dealing with, for example, temper tantrums engendered by requests to eat broccoli. But the true test of a book on parenting is whether one can practice it and achieve results. In the brief time since I read it, I have noticed that I am more patient with, more attentive to, and more respectful of my 5 year old. Now, if I can just get him to eat his broccoli.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration, 31 Mar. 2007
Never ceases to help me to focus on the moment and see conflict as productive. What could be better!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift..., 3 Feb. 2014
K. Gordon (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a gift - as it was for my sister she didn't mind that I read it myself to check it was okay before wrapping it up for her! I found the book very insightful and the balance between the two perspectives of this husband/wife writing team was fascinating. In common with all of us who have older children, there was a slight element of "rose tinted spectacles" about the baby / toddler years but I quite liked this - it's important for those who are surviving the early years of parenting to know that, once survived, we remember those years fondly and nothing is really as important as it seemed it was then.

As a result of reading this book, my sister has rekindled an old interest in meditation and is sharing her own wisdom more knowingly with her boys. If you're inclined towards living in the moment then this book encourages you to enjoy your parenting years while you're surviving them instead of waiting til the rose tinted spectacles are awarded after 20 years or so. I was encouraged to discover that I implemented many of the Kabat-zinn's philosophies instinctively over the years. It is common sense if you're inclined towards Buddhist ways of thinking and being.

I also bought Mr KZ's book "The mindful way through depression" so that I might better understand a friend who's suffering - it comes with a fab cd which is suitable for everyone, depressed or not, and I'd highly recommend that too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rose by any other name, 7 Oct. 2013
relabelled here as mindful parenting - I felt a bit like an interloper .......

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Book on Parenting, May Be More Helpful for Parents of Older Children, 22 Dec. 2008
For a parenting book, this is a solid book. There is alot of quality content. The essence of the book is to care for your children, in a mindful way. To listen to them, and to let them be. I didn't agree with all the stories and parenting tips, but overall, this is a very caring and compassionate way to raise children. It's not a practical guide to raising children, but rather, a guide to seeing your relationship with your children as a blessing meant to raise your awareness. There are only a few books on the market like this, I think many parents will gain value from the advice in this book. This book might be more help to parents who have children who are say ages 8 and older than those with infants. It's a good book with meaningful lessons worth considering.

Review is by Ramiel Nagel author of Healing Our Children: Because Your New Baby Matters! Sacred Wisdom for Preconception, Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting (ages 0-6) & Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition (First Edition).

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK FOR EVERY PARENT, 10 Mar. 2014
Whilst I was looking for a more concise and smaller book, this one met all my expectations and more. If only every parent would read this when the child is very young we would not have so many children turning up for school basically unparented. What a difference that would be to the education system in our country.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book full of touching stories, 16 Jan. 2013
Cecilia Collins "CiCi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn and have read many of his books. This one too is touching and thought provoking for some challenging situations with children. Both Kabat-Zinn's, husband and wife, are deeply touching in their approach to parenting and their love and wisdom is evident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning and emotional counter-balance, 1 Dec. 2012
This book is great for when you feeling frazzled as well as being a really good guide to the benefits of being present. The tone is gentle, acknowedges that parenting is difficult and written by two clearly intelligent and aware people

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Dec. 2014