4.0 out of 5 stars Depression and Humour!
I first picked up this book because I was struggling with depression myself and was curious how it would be portrayed in this young adult novel.
First of all I was really surprised at how many of the protagonist's feelings and situation mirrored my own. It seems that Ned Vizzini has accomplished the feat of putting emotions into words in this refreshing novel...
Published on 9 April 2012 by Rachel Holton

3.0 out of 5 stars Still reading it
An account of teen depression and suicidal thoughts through survival among similar sufferrers. Easy read, not depressing or gloomy, could be helpful to similar sufferrers.
Published 13 months ago by Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Depression and Humour!, 9 April 2012
Rachel Holton (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
In the story Craig has found his life becoming too much for him, feeling immense pressure from all angles such as his family, friends and teachers. He cannot cope to the point that he considers committing suicide. Instead however he admits himself into the psychiatric ward of his hospital. While there he meets a number of charming and troubled characters and tries to find his way back from the depths of depression. Never an easy task!
What I enjoyed most about this book was how the author not only dealt with the despair of mental illness in such a way that it isn't trivialised or melodramatic, but also managed to inject some humour into the story. Craig is such good representation of what it's like to be a teenager today and you may find some of his predicaments familiar and amusing. Craig's fellow patients in the hospital are also hilarious and will change you ideas of what people with mental illness are really like.
Finally I must point out that the story feels very authentic throughout, which is largely because the author himself has been there and experienced the highs and lows of life and depression. So I urge you to give this book a go. Especially if you are suffering from mental illness, read and know that you are not alone and it can get better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Oct 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ned Vizzini has a distinct advantage over other authors who write about teen depression, attempted suicide, and the ins and outs of psychiatry--as a teen he was clinically depressed and even spent time in a psychiatric hospital. That experience has allowed Mr. Vizzini to bring to life the kinds of situations that were once largely absent in teen fiction; that of the fact that not all teens are happy, spontaneous, happy-go-lucky youths.

For Craig Gilner, gaining acceptance into the elite Executive Pre-Professional High School in Manhattan is not the end of his problems, but only the beginning. All the studying, the cramming, the all-nighters he pulled to get high marks in his old high school and ace his entrance exam now seem mediocre, at best, at his new school. Craig realizes quite early on that he's not brilliant, he's not at the top of his class--he is, in fact, average. For a guy who worked as hard as Craig did, with such obsessive determination, this is a blow not just to his ego, but to his very soul.

Craig soon finds himself unable to eat, unable to sleep, unable to find joy in just about everything. As he realizes he's clinically depressed, he tells his shrink--excuse me, psychiatrist--that his only joy in life comes from peeing. Yes, peeing. You go in, you get it done, you accomplish what you set out to do, and you're finished. It's pretty sad that going to the bathroom seems to be the highlight of his day (he even manages to stretch each trip out to about five minutes), but it's also the truth.

Dr. Minerva, for $120/hour, is attempting to help Craig figure out exactly why he's depressed and how to overcome it. But Craig no longer thrives on a life of complexity; for him, life is a nightmare. And as his depression leads to thoughts of suicide, he's not even surprised to find that there's an 800 number he can call. And after taking the plunge and calling 1-800-SUICIDE Craig hikes over to the local emergency room at the hospital, where he meets Dr. Mahmoud (who is not a terrorist).

From there, Craig is checked into a psychiatric hospital, and he meets a motley crew of patients who, amazingly enough, become better friends to him than the ones he had before he went in ever were. For Craig, being in the hospital might just save not only his life, but his sanity and his will to keep on keeping on.

IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY is a great read. Filled with issues that plague a large number of teens today, the author has managed to take sensitive topics and deal with them in a humorous way that never seems disrespectful. A very enjoyable, thought-provoking read.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
I personally love a big book, and this defiantly was. but unlike some big books its doesn't drag on. already after a few chapters you feel like you know Craig. the story gives more details on the issue of depression and even if you don't have serious depression we all feel depressed at some point in our lives so its very relatable. it puts a humorous spin on a serious subject but not in a bad way, but a way that makes it more enjoyable to read. I have already read it 5 times and cant wait to read it for the 6th.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Insightful and utterly authentic...this is an important book" - The New York Times, 10 Oct 2011
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
The simplicity and straight-forwardness of this book is what drew me to it the most I think. I finished reading it in 3 days, and was sad it ended too soon. Such a deep and serious topic taken and conveyed in such simple thoughts and scenarios, it was absolutely wonderful to read.

Craig is real. He's real, and he exists in all of us either now or at one point in our lives. His worries compared to the other people at the hospital are silly to say the least - but it doesn't make them any less real. He worries about his email, about his principal calling the hospital, about school and homework, about friends, about very mundane everyday things that worry all of us on a daily basis. At one point I did think to myself that this is quite ridiculous, this kid has everything going for him and he's in a mental hospital? Seriously? But then I thought about my life, all the little things that get to me on a daily basis, the sleep deprivation, lack of appetite and so on, and I thought well...I get it...I really get it. And if it were up to us, if it were that easy, we would all check ourselves into a mental hospital when we face a total breakdown.

I loved the characters, and Craig's development in the book. His family is quite amazing as well, I mean, talk about support! And Craig is such a good guy, that it just amazed me how well he was raised. He's a kid that parents would be proud of.

This book reminded me so much of Veronika Decides to Die for Paulo Coelho, without the over-dramatization. It was more realistic, and more profound in its own way. It is also I believe a book that is a lot easier for people to connect with than Coelho's books. And I loved the ending and the overall "moral of the story" - go after what you love and believe in, not what is expected of you or what you think is expected of you. Such a simple thing as what you choose to study or what school you choose to go to can affect your entire outlook on life. It's pretty cool.

Ned Vizzini captured every individual's reality perfectly within a fifteen year old kid - I'm impressed. I look forward to reading his other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 July 2012
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
One of the best books I've read, totally gripping & I did not want to put it down. Definitely matches up to the film, would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
I think people discard the idea of teen depression quite easily, thinking 'You're 15, you can't be clinically depressed'. But in It's Kind of a Funny Story, it's easy to have that thought moved out of anyone's mind. Craig is a clinically depressed 15 year old boy, struggling with school and life. To him life is a nightmare and on a night of almost-suicide, he checks himself into a voluntary physch-hospital. Here, he learns to deal and cope with his depression.
Ned Vizzini is amazing with words - I was constantly highlighting his words of wisdom - and even better at keeping the tone light even within a serious topic. To be honest, this is my new favorite book and I will definetly be buying more of his books. I recommend it to everyone and anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, 28 May 2012
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
I saw the film first and adored it (with Keir Gilchrist, Zach galifianakis, and Emma Roberts), which prompted me to read the book. I'm 19, and it really hit home in terms of pressure and depression, and all that Craig - the main character - feels. It's expertly written, and would be very interesting to all ages I'm sure. I was completely engrossed in it and read it in a couple of days. Definitely recommend to anybody interested in this topic.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was good, 27 May 2014
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
I gave this book 4 stars as I felt it did well in coming from a 15 year olds point of view. I decided to read this book after hearing it was based on the author who sadly took his life last year.
The book had a bit of a slow start for me and I felt certain situations could have been more entertaining, but it did it's purpose and I thought the ending was nice. The book is so much better than the film also.
I'm interested in reading stories based on the subject of people having mental difficulty, and if anyone else is interested in the same thing, I would consider that you read 'The Locked Ward'. It is the same situation of being in an mental ward, only it's from a member of staffs perspective instead of this story based on a patients point of view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 29 April 2013
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
Honestly, after watching the film then going to read the book I wish I'd have done it the other way round. This captivating novel which I thoroughly enjoyed was both funny and relatable.

5.0 out of 5 stars So amazing!, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: It's Kind of a Funny Story (Paperback)
Sometimes, while reading this book, it felt like it was me he'd written. Many things the main character thought are things I think. Everyone should read this, it's an eye-opener for those who have had the luck to never deal with depression.

It's Kind of a Funny Story
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (Paperback - 3 April 2007)
5.23