1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poor execution, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Disney Pricess: My Side of the Story #3: The Little Mermaid/Ursula (Disney Princess: My Side of the Story) (Hardcover)
This was bought as a gift for a friend who is into Disney films and I quickly read through it before giving it to her.
Now, bear in mind these are more than likely aimed at children, so my review being based on an adult perception, I may miss the point of these books.
It was not very thick- because it is a child's book no doubt! Ariels' tale is fine and familiar, abit skimmed over in parts- maybe it assumes you've watched the film, but is standard quick storytelling.
Now Ursula's version of events has a very flimsy plot, I don't want to spoil it for you by mentioning what happens but in short its pretty rubbish! And if you have watched the film the ending of the book is abit weird!
My friend didn't even mention to me about the book so I assume she thought it was pretty poor as well.

Don't get me wrong- I like the idea of these books, and trying to teach children that there are always two sides to a story is pretty responsible, but I suppose it doesn't really fit since the baddies in Disney films are usually fairly malevolent from the get go and giving them a clumsily devised plot where their misdeeds were in fact misinterpreted by everyone is abit confusing.
Perhaps I should read a few more of these "two sides to the story" Disney books to get more of an overview, but purely based on this one the story is kind of bad, however I might add there are nice illustrations accompanying both stories.
Adults who love Disney may find this book abit feeble but little girls who love Disney will probably like it.