1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening!, 16 May 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Genius (Hardcover)
This book should also be sold out of the inspirational section of bookstores. If read with an open mind (are you listening Kirkus?) one will find all sorts of tidbits that will motivate further study on the subjects being interviewed. As a result of my reading this book I have placed books by Albert Murray, Stanley Crouch and Alvin Ailley on my reading list As a 57 year old African-American I was embarrassed to be reading about people like Romare Bearden, Elma Lewis and Lois Jones for the first time. The Chairman of the Board, Frank Sinatra died last night. Frank was quoted as saying "he patterned his singing style after Bing Crosby." According to statements made in Black Genius, Bing Crosby patterned his singing style after Louis Armstrong. It's stuff like this that makes this book so interesting. Mr. Russell had a way of bringing out the characters that made them seem human and like folks we'd like to know better. . Reading about Paul Robeson, Jr who went to Technical High School in Springfield, Mass. with my aunts and uncles was quite interesting. I grew up hearing a lot about the Robesons, but Black Genius added to that knowledge. The Talmud says "we don't see things as they are, we see things as we are," therefore I'm happy that I felt good while reading this book. I plan to give it to my friends with a note saying, "you don't have to wait until Black History Month," " Keep the faith baby!" (You'll find the originator of that statement in the book also)

Black Genius
Black Genius by Dick Russell (Paperback - 17 Aug 1998)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available