Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 16 August 2009
This is a great book. There are 22 songs to learn, with each played with just a solo ukulele on the CD so you can hear exactly what it should sound like.
The sheet music is coupled with ukulele tab for those of us who don't read music fluently. It ranges from Hawaiian waltz with strums to more solo fingerstyle playing.
Songs:
Loke Lani, Haele, Hone A Ka Wai, Polka Mazurka, Ka Wehi, Funiculi-Funicola, Henem Ahi Wela, Spanish Fandango, The Blue Bells of Scotland, Leilani, Banjo Schottische, Lauia, Wailana, El recuerdo, Hawai'i Pono'i, Ei Nei, Aloha O'e, Serenade of the Ukuleles, Timothy at the Husking Bee, Aloha Quickstep and Petite Valse.
Not really a beginner book as it's fingerstyle-orientated, but great progression once you've mastered the basics.
on 15 August 2011
This is a great collection full of lovely pieces aimed at the intermediate player. Unfortunately, almost every single piece contains mistakes as the notation misses out pretty much every single accidental. This is highly frustrating for a musician but TAB readers will be unaffected as the tablature is correct. I've since corrected my copy and have enjoyed learning the majority of the music so would recommend it. Without the errors, I would have been torn rating the book between 4 and 5 stars.
on 22 February 2010
The late John King is my hero, so I can only write good things about this book.

This book has excellent arrangements for classical, traditional and hawaiian music, in the manner that has made Mr King famous as an ukulele player (if you don't know what I'm talking about check out Mr King playing his arrangements for Bach on YouTube). This is for advanced beginner onwards I would say. I don't know anybody who regrets having bought this book.

Tabs are for GCEA tuning and there is standard notation too.

John King's work is changing the aspirations of those of us who love the uke!
on 4 June 2011
I don't like to exaggerate but I dare say this is the greatest Ukulele book of all. It features a generous amount of pieces and the important point is that they are all of Hawaiian origin. Playing pop songs on the Uke is great fun but this is where the music comes alive. Prior to purchasing this, I didn't know any of the pieces but now I know them all by heart. John King has chosen a wonderful selection of pieces and each is arranged to perfection. My favourites include 'Hene', 'El Recuerdo' and every single other piece! There are many different strumming techniques to attempt, and although I think they could be explained more clearly, they still offer a great challenge. The included CD is very good but the pieces simply loop when they've finished. However, it's up to you to put your personal slant on them. It does have some flaws. The strums are not explained well enough and the musical notation features some mistakes. These don't detract from teh overall impact though.

It also includes a very interesting Ukulele history which you can memorise and bore your friends with for years.

Buy this book. Buy it.
on 14 August 2015
A great tune book packed full of great little pieces for the intermediate and advanced player.
This is one of my favourite books for short performance pieces. It even contains a couple of ukulele duets and guitar ukulele duets, all of which can be heard played on the accompanying CD.
9/10
on 2 February 2013
Quality shines throughout....obviously he plays himself...as a result he knows what works and just includes what he knows with his experiance works . A great result Reccomended all his books this is my third of his.
on 4 September 2013
Excellent book with some enchanting melodies. I am recommending it to all my ukulele students. Yes there are some errors in the music accidentals but they are obvious as the tablature in accurate.
on 25 July 2014
An absolute champion! Im not that much of a Uke player but I love what this guy did for the Uke playing world! Amazing! Get this book!
on 5 September 2014
i think this one good i just carnt remember,how bad am i?
on 24 July 2014
Not to difficult for an intermediate picker