on 9 February 2001
Surprisingly very few books are published about US television's longest continuously running cop series, 'Hawaii Five-0'. That is why 'Booking Hawaii Five-0' by Karen Rhodes, can be considered as something of a bible to fans. Every episode ever made, from the show's inception in 1968's pilot movie 'Cocoon', to its eventual demise in 1980 is covered.
What I particularly like about 'Booking Hawaii Five-0' is the fact that Ms Rhodes recognises that you can't review a TV show on the basis of just one episode or indeed just one season. Television, unlike film and theatre, cannot be judged on a one-off two hour performance, because a television series runs for longer and therefore experiences many more peaks and troughs.
The television series 'Hawaii Five-0' was hugely popular throughout the 1970s culminating with it being the number 1 US police drama and receiving an Emmy nomination in 1972. By the mid-seventies the show was gradually dropping down the ratings, primarily due to an increasing number of poor quality episodes. Ms Rhodes manages (to a certain degree) to write with objectivity and highlight the transition from the shows peak to its eventual demise.
However, the book does have its drawbacks.
Don't expect very many photos and those that are included aren't in colour. In fact the overall presentation isn't the greatest and is distinctly lacking in style. If you did fall into the trap of judging a book by its cover, than you really wouldn't rate this book at all. The detailed plot listings for each episode are very interesting to the devoted fan, but the more casual viewer of the series may soon lose interest. As it seems that this book is aimed towards the die-hard fan, there are many questions that are not covered in enough depth for my liking. For example, why did certain members of the cast leave the show without any explanation? The relationship between Five-0's star, Jack Lord, and the rest of the cast was interesting to say the least and I feel the publication would have benefited greatly from exploring this further then it does.
Overall a very good book, full of interesting information that will quench the thirst of any Five-0 fan.
on 3 February 2014
I have just read the sample and it has definitely whetted my appetite. I will be downloading it on kindle for my next read. As a devoted Five-0 fan, know I will love, particularly after spending hours on Karen Rhodes web page.
on 30 December 2014
There is not much on Hawaii five o and this book seems well done, I just received it but have gone through it quickly, just one regret there are not many photos.