Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 July 2002
Having seen this recommended as "the book" on selling in an ASTD Training Magazine, I read this book as a relative novice to selling strategies and found it really excellent - practical, focused and really readable. I particularly liked the section on how to implement sales management processes and strategies based on the strategies outined in the book.
Despite the title, I also found it highly relevant to professional services selling - my area of interest.
I have since attended a selling skills course and, quite frankly, the book was better - richer, better explained and using excellent examples.
on 22 August 2002
Mike Bosworth has written an extraordinarily good book in Solution Selling which gets to the heart of what sales excellence is all about. I read this book and was so taken by its message, I managed to get my wife excited about it, and she's an artist. And then I read it all over again.
Mike takes that most complex topic, building rapport, demonstrating competence and establishing trust with buyers and provides a common sense process that works. No matter how good or bad your product is, with Mike's process you will win over your competition. His practical experience shines through in the text and his writing style makes you feel you're right there in the seminar with him. I recognised many of the difficult sales situations he describes which have taxed me over the years and was amazed at how time and again he provides a common sense solution that appears obvious in hindsight.
If you are involved in selling complex products with long buying cycles in mature markets, you owe it to your career to read this book.
on 21 August 2001
Bosworth describes this as "Creating buyers in difficult selling markets". It is much more.
Solution selling provides a salesman with the practical tools to ensure they truly understand their customers needs, enable them to create a vision of a solution (biast towards their product) and then manage the sales process to deliver a successful sale.
An excellent text for all professional salesmen.
on 7 July 2009
Instead of focusing on a prospective buyer, many salespeople spout lists of their product's or service's features and benefits. Does the buyer have a problem that these advantages solve? Maybe. The salesperson doesn't know or care. He or she "sprays and prays," hoping one of the product's bells and whistles will engage the buyer - who just wants the conversation to stop. Sales trainer Michael T. Bosworth suggests a different approach. He teaches salespeople to use an engaging question-and-answer process to learn potential customers' individual needs. With this diagnostic approach, the salesperson can specify the product or service that meets those needs. getAbstract recommends the author's clear explanation of his sales method. Bosworth shows you how to shed the high-pressure, "always-be-closing" mindset and align your sales approach with a buyer's real desires. This is the true nature of business-to-business selling.
on 12 March 2013
I was recommended this book by my mentor, who said it'd be appropriate for the business I founded (we're a rapidly growing government funding advisor/facilitator).

I read it, and about halfway through, ordered a copy for my entire sales team and gave them a task for this month to read it. There is a lot of wisdom and experience packaged in this book, as well as a very sensible system for structuring the sales process. We're still using our own system at this point, but we will probably update our sales process to match (well, after the sales team finishes reading it, at the very least).

So, a very strong recommendation if you need to learn, or teach, sales to other people who are not necessarily naturals at it.
on 1 July 2007
This book defines the process of the complex B2B sale. If you work for a major company that provides large scale solutions to businesses you will recognise some of the theory. If you've been selling succesfully but haven't followed any particular methodology then this book will highlight why you win some sales and why you don't others. For anyone involved in B2B sales it will without doubt improve their sales results. I was a little surprised by the readers who gave it only 1 or 2 stars. It's a very worthwhile and easy read that can be skimmed quickly to gain the major points. I think most of the major US IT companies must set their strategy by this book, they certainly seem to follow the overall principles of the process.
on 7 April 2003
After about page 20 I started to get extremely bored. The book is 240 pages long and in my opinion at least 100 pages TOO long. It takes you all round the houses, so to speak and waffles on about a load of nonsense, before EVENTUALLY getting to the point. In other words it is unneccesarily long winded and uses too many expletives without good reason.
My objective was to refresh my selling skills and was looking for some innovative ideas so that I didn't become too complacent. I have enjoyed a very successful 12 years in sales, but I am always looking at ways to improve myself. There are a lot of better books around than this one. And did I learn anything from reading it? To be honest, I picked up TWO useful tips from the WHOLE book.
To summarise, if you've got nothing better to do and have loads of spare time, then buy and read this book. If you would rather learn some good tips and enjoy more of your spare time...FORGET IT!!
on 12 December 1998
This is the absolute best work on selling complex products in difficult selling markets. It covers all the essential elements needed to take people "familiar with selling" up to the next level of "high-performing achievers." For high-tech companies, it explains a cornerstone philosophy, on par with "Crossing the Chasm."
on 16 February 2006
I observe that there are two extremes of selling - emotional selling and rational selling; and that the best sales people do both.
I am writing this review because in my mind, this book provides an excellent framework for rational solution selling and enabled a step change in my effectiveness selling software and professional services.
In my experience, this type of book is poorly received by people who are "naturals" at the emotional sell. Perhaps this explains the divergent reviews, but hopefully will allow you to assess whether the book will be valuable to you.
I have bought this book as it was recommended by a sales "guru". After 35 pages I nearly fell asleep. I think that some of the concepts are of (the buyers' cycle) but most of the ideas are dated. If you sell services the key is on relationships and this method does not fit in. I find it very boring and struggling to finish it as I cannot find ideas that are relevant to 2012. I bought it second hand so just threw away a couple of pounds