5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent book
Having seen this recommended as "the book" on selling in an ASTD Training Magazine, I read this book as a relative novice to selling strategies and found it really excellent - practical, focused and really readable. I particularly liked the section on how to implement sales management processes and strategies based on the strategies outined in the book...
Published on 17 July 2002 by Mr Andrew Ward

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!
After about page 20 I started to get extremely bored. The book is 240 pages long and in my opinion at least 100 pages TOO long. It takes you all round the houses, so to speak and waffles on about a load of nonsense, before EVENTUALLY getting to the point. In other words it is unneccesarily long winded and uses too many expletives without good reason.
My objective was...
Published on 7 April 2003 by Me@VIP

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent book, 17 July 2002
This review is from: Solution Selling: Creating Buyers in Difficult Selling Markets (Hardcover)
Despite the title, I also found it highly relevant to professional services selling - my area of interest.
I have since attended a selling skills course and, quite frankly, the book was better - richer, better explained and using excellent examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can read only one book on selling, this is the one., 12 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This is the absolute best work on selling complex products in difficult selling markets. It covers all the essential elements needed to take people "familiar with selling" up to the next level of "high-performing achievers." For high-tech companies, it explains a cornerstone philosophy, on par with "Crossing the Chasm."

5.0 out of 5 stars The only sales manual you need on your bookshelf, 22 Aug 2002
Mike Bosworth has written an extraordinarily good book in Solution Selling which gets to the heart of what sales excellence is all about. I read this book and was so taken by its message, I managed to get my wife excited about it, and she's an artist. And then I read it all over again.
Mike takes that most complex topic, building rapport, demonstrating competence and establishing trust with buyers and provides a common sense process that works. No matter how good or bad your product is, with Mike's process you will win over your competition. His practical experience shines through in the text and his writing style makes you feel you're right there in the seminar with him. I recognised many of the difficult sales situations he describes which have taxed me over the years and was amazed at how time and again he provides a common sense solution that appears obvious in hindsight.
If you are involved in selling complex products with long buying cycles in mature markets, you owe it to your career to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must for all successful sales teams!, 21 Aug 2001
Bosworth describes this as "Creating buyers in difficult selling markets". It is much more.
Solution selling provides a salesman with the practical tools to ensure they truly understand their customers needs, enable them to create a vision of a solution (biast towards their product) and then manage the sales process to deliver a successful sale.
An excellent text for all professional salesmen.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!, 7 April 2003
My objective was to refresh my selling skills and was looking for some innovative ideas so that I didn't become too complacent. I have enjoyed a very successful 12 years in sales, but I am always looking at ways to improve myself. There are a lot of better books around than this one. And did I learn anything from reading it? To be honest, I picked up TWO useful tips from the WHOLE book.
To summarise, if you've got nothing better to do and have loads of spare time, then buy and read this book. If you would rather learn some good tips and enjoy more of your spare time...FORGET IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great theory - harder in practice, 19 Oct 2009
I certainly agree with other reviewers that this is one book anyone in sales should read. It's an approach that works extremely well for people involved in selling complex, high value propositions. The breadth of its application is impressive - from selling anything from computers to professional services there is plenty of value here. I think the logic and the process are well thought through and effective. The challenge for the reader (and to be fair this is true of most instructional books!) is how to apply the theory in the real world. Because the process is quite robust, there is a danger that sales prospects can spot that they are on the receiving end of a 'sales methodology'. (For example the questioning techniques, in which prospects have to confirm back to you their requirements, can seem quite artificial compared to a 'normal' conversation). The good news that is an easy fix - just overlay your own personality onto the techniques in the book and I would be surprised if you didn't see an immediate benefit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, bought it for my whole sales team, 12 Mar 2013
I was recommended this book by my mentor, who said it'd be appropriate for the business I founded (we're a rapidly growing government funding advisor/facilitator).

I read it, and about halfway through, ordered a copy for my entire sales team and gave them a task for this month to read it. There is a lot of wisdom and experience packaged in this book, as well as a very sensible system for structuring the sales process. We're still using our own system at this point, but we will probably update our sales process to match (well, after the sales team finishes reading it, at the very least).

So, a very strong recommendation if you need to learn, or teach, sales to other people who are not necessarily naturals at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 4 Jan 2013
Recommended by my boss, so took the time to purchase and read. Good book, but only if you are interested in solution selling... Not a bedtime read, really!

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated ideas, 15 Aug 2012
Culture Enthusiast (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have bought this book as it was recommended by a sales "guru". After 35 pages I nearly fell asleep. I think that some of the concepts are of (the buyers' cycle) but most of the ideas are dated. If you sell services the key is on relationships and this method does not fit in. I find it very boring and struggling to finish it as I cannot find ideas that are relevant to 2012. I bought it second hand so just threw away a couple of pounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Solution Selling, 3 Mar 2011
This book was recommended by an IT consultant and did not disappoint. Having just moved into software sales from selling tangible products, reading this was like "turning on the light".
Although written in 1995 the basic structure of the sales process remains the same today and this is distilled wisdom.

Solution Selling: Creating Buyers in Difficult Selling Markets
Solution Selling: Creating Buyers in Difficult Selling Markets by Michael T. Bosworth (Hardcover - 1 Sep 1994)
14.27