4.0 out of 5 stars My first Review
Published on 4 April 2005 by Sammy

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets better as it goes along
Published on 8 Jun 2007 by Susan J. Sparks

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Review, 4 April 2005
This review is from: Sammy's Hill (Paperback)
I actually found this book at the tube station in Nottinghill. Why didn't i hand it in? Because my name is Sammy and i was technically on a hill, so all signs pointed that i should read the book. Which thankfully I did. The book is actually the first book written by Al Gore's daughter,Kristin, so i had no idea what to expect. If you want anything other than a relaxed read, remniscent of watching a chick flick, then do not read this book. However I found it to be addictive and hilarious. It chronicles the life and loves of Sammy, a health advisor to a US senator. Her life involves many things including preparing for random animal attacks, preparing for life with only one arm. I thought it was well written, highly amusing and although kind of Bridget Jones-esque, which is very common these days, it had something new about it. Well any book that makes me snort out loud with laughter on a packed bus has my vote. One of the funniest books of its genre, and i have read a lot of them!!
Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets better as it goes along, 8 Jun 2007
Susan J. Sparks (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sammy's Hill: A Novel (Paperback)
I bought this at an airport to stave off boredom on a long flight. At first I found the writing rather stilted and the main character a bit annoying, but I think the story improved and got funnier and more engaging as it went along. Looking at American official political life from an 'insider' perspective was interesting - I have no idea how accurate it is, but it made all the balloons and wild applause we see on TV slightly more comprehensible. The romantic storyline was very predictable, but still it was an enjoyable read. Certainly, if it was made into a film it would be much better than many a lame so-called 'wacky' rom-com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 2 Dec 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sammy's Hill: A Novel (Paperback)
SAMMY'S HILL throws young and idealistic Sammy Jones into the fiercely competitive, smooth-talking, back-stabbing world of D.C. politics. While at times it can be a struggle just to keep her head above water, Sammy never wavers in her commitment to serving the public good and bringing about honest change through the democratic system.

Working as a domestic policy advisor for a U.S. Senator is by no means easy, but Sammy adores her boss and works her butt off to make sure that he has the best information possible to make decisions about health care policy. Sammy is on a quest to make health care affordable for all Americans, and she will do whatever it takes to pass the necessary legislation. Pulling all-nighters fueled only by coffee and calling in weed-addled senior citizens to give testimony at Senate committee hearings are par for the course.

When she starts dating a staff member of a rival Senator, Sammy's professional and personal lives intertwine, with occasionally disastrous consequences. With her quirky and klutzy character, Sammy is lovable and easy to relate to. Who hasn't been conned into buying far-too-expensive Japanese fighting fish from a secret agent of the North Korean regime?

Kristin Gore is genius at crafting a witty storyline, too complex to be deemed merely chick-lit, but hilarious and with a proper dash of romance nonetheless. For anyone who adores romantic comedies but finds them often all too predictable, SAMMY'S HILL is a more intelligent alternative, with underlying messages about politics and life effortlessly woven into fast-paced entertainment.

Sammy's optimism and perseverance are inspiring and refreshing in a world that most associate with dirty money and personal agendas. If there were more Sammy Jones' in Washington, the world would be a better place.

Reviewed by: Amber Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut novel, 16 Nov 2008
After feverishly following the campaign trail and US elections on tv/online news, from Obama/Clinton to Obama/Mccain, I felt compelled to fill the void after the elections were over. I picked up "Sammy's house" with interest after reading the White House plotline sypnopsis and purchased "Sammy's Hill" soon after. (The link between Kristin Gore and Al Gore came to me somewhat belatedly as I only realised it after I seeing certain parallels between the characters in Sammy's House).

The heroine, Samantha "Sammy" Joyce is a young and idealistic healthcare advisor to the junior Senator, Robert Gary "RG" from Ohio on Capitol Hill. The books certainly did fill the void and in a highly entertaining manner. I found the idealistic (and hypocondriac) Sammy endearing. All the jams that she inadvertently got into, were hilarious and kept me wanting to find out what was going to happen next. The book describes the various incidents and mishaps in her life from falling in love with a "mr not so nice" senior speech writer, to keeping japanese fish and inadvertently sending out an inappropriate email after accidently "replying all". At times I found myself laughing out loud (which rarely hapens in novels).

Kristin Gore has drawn the content from her personal experiences living in Washington extremely well. The light hearted descriptions about Washington has changed my perspective about DC as a dull place. However, I am disappointed that this book is sold as a "chick lit" book. The book is lighthearted but does contain enough political gravitas to be taken seriously.

3.0 out of 5 stars Insider perspective interesting, 25 Jun 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sammy's Hill: A Novel (Paperback)
An interesting read but not enough to warrant 4 stars. The beginning was just too busy. Too much was happening and not enough was given to get to know Samantha Joyce. This eventually petered out and the reader was given the chance to become involved in her life. Like the other reviewer I've no idea how accurate it is politically but it was fun to read; making sense of the news we see on the television.

It has certain predictable elements to it - which romance novel doesn't? At times the politics takes the forefront at others it's her friendship and personal life. I'm not the balance was quite right though. This is worth a read when travelling somewhere or to take on holiday. It takes a mild amount of concentration if you want to really get to grips with the political sub-story.

Think 'Ugly Betty' style character and you've got the idea about Sammy. She doesn't fit in, she's a bit of a clutz but with her heart in the right place. Take a bit of 'Erin Brockovich' and you've got the right kind of insight into this leading lady. Completely driven on her choice of career she has a supportive network of friends and family. The novel is about her life rather than the grittiness of American politics.

Sometimes the Americanisms can be difficult if you don't know the culture but other than that it's a good read once you get passed the first 30 or so pages and become comfortable with the writing style. I don't if it is just a touch too long and could have been shorted at the beginning half but then I guess Sammy's relationships could not be explored in as much detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 3 Mar 2009
My sister-in-law gave me this for Christmas. Since she normally only buys the discounted books that no-one else wants, I wasn't holding out much hope but I took it on holiday anyway.

But I loved it! Funny, witty, offering dry insight into how "The Hill" works. Some of Sammy's escapades made me laugh out loud.

Kristin: Please write more, you definitely have a voice. I'd love to read a sequel on what Sammy does next.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new favourite, 19 April 2012
Picked this up at a second-hand book sale and what a nice surprise to find such a page turner of a book - couldn't put it down and in fact read it all in one day. Have just ordered the sequel, Sammy's House and I'm hoping that will be just as good. I really enjoyed reading about Sammy's adventures in love and work, there are so many laugh out loud moments in this book and she's a very likeable heroine. Would thoroughly recommend Sammy's Hill.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 19 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Sammy's Hill (Paperback)
just amazing...you have to read it!

Sammy's Hill: A Novel (Thorndike Basic)
Sammy's Hill: A Novel (Thorndike Basic) by Kristin Gore (Hardcover - Nov 2004)
Used & New from: £2.75