The final year of the tribulation has begun. Chang is hoping to use the oppressive darkness that has fallen on New Babylon to set up remote surveillance and then escape to Petra. The contingent in San Diego finds itself in danger when Global Community forces start nosing around their compound, compromising Chloe. But that's just the beginning. Carpathia is planning the ultimate battle combining all the world's forces in one final push to finally destroy the Judah-ites and others who still oppose him. What can the Tribulation Force do?
Like the last book, this book starts out with lots of action that will keep you glued to your seat anxiously turning pages. There are several different storylines going, and the action jumps quickly from place to place. However, the last part really bothers me. While it was still interesting and action packed, almost all the characters starting doing things that made no logical sense given the previous few books. This led up to a final chapter that didn't need to happen. I guess the authors felt the pressure to have some action, and couldn't come up with anything else to do, but it left this long time fan disappointed. Also disappointing was the fact that several characters were given nothing to do. While the cast of characters has grown too huge to properly handle, several were only mentioned in passing, and I missed hearing from them. There's only a couple scenes with Carpathia and his henchmen (usually highlights of the books), but they are some of the best in the series. I especially liked the one where he announces his plans for the battle.
The writing style no longer really bothers me when I sit down for these books. As always, there is nothing here that will change anyone's mind about the series. And those of us committed to finding out what happens next will read it no matter what. I'm looking forward to watching everything brought to a conclusion in the final book. If done correctly, this could be a finale that blows the other books out of the water.
on 30 April 2003
Having read this book I felt compelled to write about it.
I found the book extremely good - building on the previous 10 books and developing the characters found there. I had wondered if, at this late stage in the series, things would be skimped.
I suppose I cannot honestly say whether it is a 'good' book in its own rights or whether it is just that I have enjoyed the series and therefore enjoyed this one.
How can I tell though?
I couldn't put the book down - as I have found with all the books so far.
I am amazed that the authors can write 11 books and still be able to produce such quality.
I am especially struck by the amount of research that goes into the writing - from the Biblical prophecies.
My only downside is that I really feel that this series is being stretched out. Having got so far into the 7 year timestretch it seems to me as though they could perfectly well have ended the series with this book.
It seems to be stretching things a lot to have another book following this and I have to say I wonder what can come next that will fill a whole book - I wait with baited breath to find out.
Again, I read this book from cover to cover without wanting to put it down and am upset that I'll have to wait a year for the next one.
I would not say this is a literary classic in its own right but, as part of the series, it is as good as ever.
What more can I say.
on 17 August 2004
Book 11 in the Left Behind series.
When I began reading this book, I was a little hazy on what had happened in the previous books. I still remembered the major events, but some minor events of importance I was lost on. I didn't remember a couple of the characters (ones that had been recently introduced). After 50 pages I remembered what I needed to and the context filled me in on the rest and the story started to really get going.
I've noticed complaints about the actions of some characters. The only one who I think acted out of character was Chloe. Her actions at the beginning of the book were both stupid, and I think a little out of character. It served the plot, though, so we can gloss over it. There were some surprises in character action near the end, but these were explained well enough that I don't feel as if they were misplaced.
The usual complaints about the series apply to this book. The quality of writing is not that great, I still have problems with naming one of the primary characters "Buck", and much of the books seem to be heavy handed. However, when I'm reading the book I forget all about that and I can't put it down. There is something incredibly compelling about the Left Behind series. Maybe it is seeing God take such a prominent role in a popular novel. Maybe it is just how quickly and easily the series reads, but there is something about it that makes me want to keep reading and gets me involved in the story. Maybe it is God working through these books, if such a thing is possible.
The story begins late in the Tribulation. A plague of darkness and pain is on the city of New Babylon, the capitol of the Anti-Christ, Nicolae Carpathia. There are questions of whether or not the Safe House is still safe and Chloe Steele-Williams gets captured by the GC (Global Community) troops. Believers must get out of New Babylon as God's further judgment is coming. As the book progresses, the story jumps several months and the final judgments from Revelation are unleashed. More than one major character is killed in this book, so there is some shakeup going on in the cast of characters. Which ones and in what way I will leave for the reader to find out.
I am not blind to the flaws and faults of this series, but as I read the books, the flaws and faults simply do not matter. I won't pretend that these should win awards for the craft of writing, though. I think that one reason why the Left Behind books are so compelling (this one included) is that we get to see one possible interpretation of how the Book of Revelation may play out. I am a Christian, so I do believe that Revelation is true, but I don't claim to have any interpretation of it myself nor do I believe that this is necessarily the correct interpretation. It does help in imagining the End Times, though. The next book is to be the last book, and I am curious as to how Jenkins will write the second coming of Christ (LaHaye is the theologian, Jenkins the author).
-Joe Sherry
on 22 April 2003
Again a brilliant book in the Left Behind series. Thim la Haye keeps very sound biblical quotations from Revelations and other books of the Bible. As they are approaching the coming of Christ the Tribulations Force are in even greater danger, but they still remain strong in their faith. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I would recommend it to all who have been reading the series. I have also found it a challenge to my own faith and have a desire to seek God more.
on 29 January 2014
As a non-religious person I knew very little about the Christian beliefs concerning the 'Rapture' and 'Christ's Second Coming'. I also felt a series based in religion would hold very little interest for me. How wrong I was!!! The books are fast paced, exciting and real page turners. The characters are believable and you find yourself immersed in their stories, wanting them to survive. I also learnt a huge amount and found myself considering what the Bible foretells, wondering if there actually is some truth to it. The 'Left Behind' series commanded my interest, fascinated me and changed my perspective on religion. I would recommend this series to believers and to those who may be sceptical (like I was) but who are willing to approach this with an open mind and a preparedness to be taught something as well as enjoying a fascinating read. Excellent series and extremely talented authors who know what they're talking about.
on 6 January 2004
I have enjoyed this book and the others in the series. They keep you entralled and on the edge of your seat. It has helped to have knowledge of the Holy Bible especially the book of Revelations. Unlike some reviews I am not tired of this series and look forward to the next book out in late 2004.
on 3 February 2010
Of the whole series this book probably is the best stand alone read. It also has the effect of desiring more. Coudn't wait to pick up the next one. Not for the squeemish though. Nor is it for those who hold a contrary theology. There is a limit as to how much a person can suspend their judgement. But this is truly about another's judgement. I would still rate this higher than some I have read, but general readers may need to read a bit of the Bible from the Book of Revelation if they want to see where this novel is coming from.
on 6 August 2014
I like the series & now have the full set 1-12 I'm currently half way through book 8 The Mark. From what I've read I hope it don't come true but you wonder sometimes with what is going on in the World. I was given by friends books 1,2,3,4,5,7 & 12 in the left behind series & purchased books 6 & 8 & now 9,10 & 11 as I wanted to read all the series & it is a real good novel story.
on 23 April 2013
Ethics is an excellent series and an excellent book as part of that. Yes, it's a bit americanised and yes it is a story, but is based intrinsically on the Bible. This is the second time I have read through the series of 12 books and it never gets boring!
on 18 September 2013
Considering there are so many books in this series, I am still gripped by the story line. Can't wait for the next book but also don't want them to stop :-(