4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting series to provoke thought and discussion
If you take this series (including this 1st book) as a Christian fiction series and don't then base your entire theology on it, it is an excellent series. The fact is, no-one knows exactly what the end will be like. We don't have all the details. This book presents one way that it could happen.

I like the characters. Throughout the series, I felt like I got to...
Published on 7 Jan 2012 by Nicki

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
Left Behind is a novel that I am reluctant to admit I could not put down. I read it in virtually one sitting and was both entertained and challenged by the content.
Published on 12 Dec 2002 by Benedick

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting series to provoke thought and discussion, 7 Jan 2012

I like the characters. Throughout the series, I felt like I got to know them and came to love them. It gets quite emotional in places and I like to feel drawn into a story and feel it with the characters.

I was particularly happy that I found this book as a free Kindle promo. I bought the later books in the series in hardback after borrowing the early ones as a poor student. I might now buy the whole series for Kindle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 12 Dec 2002
The storyline certainly gives a plausible interpretation of Revelation end times and to be confronted by the possibilities like this provided a great deal of food for thought with regard to my own actions and lifestyle.
But despite all this I was left with an overriding feeling of irritation. This was one of the most fascinating stories I have read to date and yet on completion of the book I hurled it onto the carpet in frustration. Though I haven't read any of Tim and Jerry's other work (and by all accounts they are prolific!) I have to hope that they demonstrate a higher level of intelligence in their other fields. Left Behind is a great story around which they have thrown together a narrative with obviously very little thought or skill, and quite frankly I find it almost cynical.
The huge success of Left Behind and the accompanying series of books is obviously hard to challenge and as a vehicle for communicating something of the gospel message it has to be regarded by any Christian in a positive light. This success is due, however, to it's lowest common denominator writing style. As a Christian who loves a good story I enjoyed the book; as a reader with at least half a brain I hated it.
Left Behind is a page-turner. It is a gripping story to challenge us all regarding our hearts and behaviours and our possible destinies. It is Revelation reconstructed in a riveting read.
Yet for me it didn't do enough. Tim and Jerry are evidently no C.S. Lewis and at a productivity rate of about a book a week (judging from their credits) it is little wonder. The writing is poor and two-dimensional and demands very little from the intellect. There's a big part of me that thinks that maybe this is all about getting the books out and the royalties in. But what do I know?
So if you want a holiday read then Left Behind and it's paperbound buddies are probably worthy selections. Be aware though that it is undeniably a literary McDonalds. If you don't expect too much, however, then you might just be satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books, can't wait for the next in the series, 28 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I have been reading these since they first came out and just yesterday the fourth in the series(Soul Harvest) was released. I'm already finished. I'm 16 and love to read. Besides this series I also enjoy Frank Peretti, another great christian author. The book of Revelation has always intrigued me and I think they did an excellent job of interpreting it. You can be a skeptic if you wish but I am not going to be here when it happens because I'll be with Jesus in the air. So remember be prepared because even if he doesn't come during your time you will still die. Oh and one more thing the greatest book ever that will explain all of this and more is always the bible. Steph Rev 1:3

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written and bad theology, 21 May 2009
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was a terrible read. I have enjoyed Tim LaHaye's non fiction works, so I feel I gave these books a fair go, but the characters seemed quite one dimensional to me, the plot pondering and long and the whole thing based on some very bad theology.

I do not entirely understand the fixation many American Christians have with the secret rapture. It seems that the doctrine was invented in the 19th century among a group known as the Irvingites, who disintegrated following the failure of their prophecies to come to pass, but one of whose leaders had influence in another group that then proceeded to produce the Darby study bible that became very widely used in the US. Because of the ubiquity of this Bible, the notes in it became widely assimilated as a dsitinctive American orthodoxy, and one of these doctrines was that of the secret rapture, that this book uses as its theme.

That being the case, no one should read the book with any idea that its events would actually unfold as described. Read it as a work of fiction.

But with this in mind, I read the book as a work of fiction and still I hated it. Perhaps I am too close to the errant orthodoxy that informs the storyline, because it then held no surprises for me - and the quality of writing did not save it.

My best recommendation is to non American readers - read this to get into the mind set of one popular strand of American Christianity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Must Reading for Serious Bible Students, 19 Jun 1997
Any serious student of the Bible, Old or New
Testament must read this book. It is a page-
turner. You will not be able to put it down. If
you know anything about the prophesies scattered
throughout the 66 books of the Bible you will be
amazed to see them come to life on the pages of
this book. There is incredible attention to detail
and fidelity to the scriptures in an up-to-date
saga of destruction and renewal. The only book
better for you this summer: The Tribulation Force.
Bad news, the third book will not be out until
Fall! I can't wait. . . guess I have no choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed!!!!!, 11 Oct 1997
By A Customer
This is a fast, thought-provoking read. If you're a Christian, it will send chills down your spine because you can imagine it to happen just this way. If you're a non-believer, or just sitting on the fence, it will really make you think and hopefully check out what the Bible has to say about the end times, after all, it really IS unfolding right before our eyes. Of course, some people have less scales over their eyes than others. :)) I was surprised to see the sequel, Tribulation Force, I definately need to pick that one up, and didn't know of the third, thanks guys!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly, shallow and plain bad., 7 Mar 1998
By A Customer
This books reads like a a kindergarten kid telling you: "see? I told you mom would come". Its supposedly Bible-based scenarios are such a stretch that they make the parting of the Red Sea look like something I might see during my commute every day. And I see far more wonderous things , believe me. It is a moral fable of very low quality. Its 'simplistic' (not simple) views are a drag . It's characters reactions and behaviour are so unrealistic they become symbols: greed, lust...just like in a medieval tableau. Last time someone though that the Messiah would come with BIG announcements, there was some disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars My analysis after three books in the set, 13 July 1999
By A Customer
I know a good many people enjoy these Lahaye/Jenkins novels because they are very biblically oriented, and that's all well and good, I don't knock it. But as literature goes, to be honest, these books are NOT very well written. The characters are thin, artificial, the writing forced and simplistic. A far deeper and more compelling Apocalyptic novel is Glenn Kleier's THE LAST DAY. Although NOT biblically accurate in many apsects, the story is hugely suspenseful and the spiritual nature far deeper than any of the three books of this series I've read so far, APOLLYON, TRIBULATION and LEFT BEHIND. Because of this, I found THE LAST DAY considerably more fulfilling, spiritually, and certainly more thrilling from a literary perspective. If your interest is a superior story, and less the scriptural application, THE LAST DAY is a more rewarding read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book horribly bad but also extremely funny in its own special way, 3 May 2007
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Here is a book that can be hysterically funny, if you don't try to take it seriously and rather consider it as an excellent example of how NOT to write books. I was laughing from the beginning to the end. Below, you will find some of the best jokes, but before that one important PRECISION: I actually am a Christian and I have no doubt that one day Jesus Christ WILL come a second time, to judge the living and dead. I am however certain that the real Last Days and Second Coming will be both terrible AND glorious events - not a mixture of a disaster B movie and a bad burlesque show...

And now let's see the jokes:

1. The Antichrist is a Romanian named Nicholae (!) Carpathia (!!). Not even at the end of the world the authors could find anything better, than to take Nicolae Ceauscescu, the late dictator of Romania, who was calling himself "The Genius of the Carpatian Mountains", and a certain vampire from Carpathian mountains and give him the leading role..)))

2. The catholics are of course doomed and destined to hell, but political correctness (or maybe some weakness of the faith from the authors?) asked that at least the pope be spared.

3. The tool of the Satan on Earth is ... the United Nations! That means probably the most powerless player in the world politics!!

4. The main hero is separated from his beloved family because he is a sinner. Rather than try to repent to join them in the Paradise once the tribulation is over (that is what I would do - but after all I am just a Papist destined to hell...) he quickly marries again! Guess there will be some conjugual argument once the Final Judgement is over - and maybe Jesus will have to settle a painful divorce after that! So maybe the Final Judgement is finally not so final? And how about the alimony payments for the kids? Heaven knows.

5. The Antichrist can control minds of most of the people, so they DON'T have any possibility to resist him - so they MUST follow him without any possibility to resist. So they will burn in hell, without any chance of salvation! God is Mercy? Well, according to the authors, no - actually, compared to the picture of God they describe, Stalin, Mao and Hitler were more merciful on their better days...

OK, that is only some of the great fun provided by "Left behind", so if you want to read the most ridiculous book of modern times, buy it. Lots of fun + small price = GREAT VALUE!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wake-up Call To Mankind!!!, 7 Jan 1998
By A Customer
I happened to read this book during the Christmas holidays. I have been fascinated by the book of Revelation ever since my salvation and hence it was treat to read a novel about it. The novel is gripping and a great supplement to the book of Revelation. Ever since I've been warning all fellow-believers I know about the Rapture. In fact I gifted an unbeliever colleague of mine a copy of this novel. Also in the process I'm preparing myself for the rendezvous with the Almighty coz I definitely don't want to be LEFT BEHIND!

Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Basic)
Left Behind: A Novel of the Earth's Last Days (Basic) by Jerry B. Jenkins (Hardcover - Sep 2000)
Used & New from: 2.69