4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise
Well this was an unexpected treat. I was expecting a sort of Disney type fairytale, about a family living in a treetop cabin, having fun and playing games all day.

Instead this book contains a very strict set of morals and character building exercise within the framework of the story.

A family of husband and wife and 4 boys are marooned on a desert...
Published on 8 April 2011 by T. Gardener

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful period piece!
A classic wholesome tale of adventure, survival and discovery; though quite dated, now, the style of the journal writing rewards the patient reader...but scorns the impatient ones, desperate for heightened exhilaration. It's is a good read for readings' sake.
Published 15 months ago by M-A+

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 8 April 2011
T. Gardener "red giraffe" (essex) - See all my reviews

A family of husband and wife and 4 boys are marooned on a desert island. There is a certain amount of poetic license as the island contains hundreds of animals and plants, not normally seen together.

At times their need to survive is quite bloody, and more than one animal and bird finds itself despatched to the cooking pot. They are rather free with their rifles.

It is an enjoyable book, made the more so by the language of the day, which if a little flowery gives a sense of the time, and isolation they were living in.

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE TO READ, 4 Jan 2011
M. McIntosh (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have watched the film many times but I have never read the book (I am 55).
I saw it was free on Kindle & thought 'Why Not?
I'm glad I did. Well written. Easy reading. Beats the film hands down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable classic novel, 19 Feb 2011
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is the original story, of a family that are shipwrecked, and have to survive on a deserted island. The plot is fairly simple and takes the reader through the various activities that the family undertakes. It's split into two parts; the first being the first four years of isolation until they are discovered by a passing ship. The second part covers the years after that.

I would suggest that many people have seen the Disney film based upon this story. The tree house, the variety of animals and the pioneering nature of the family will be familiar. However, the Disney scriptwriters did make some key alterations.

I agree that there are many sections where the author seems overly keen to elaborate just how many animals they kill in order to provide food, but that is probably just an example of the thinking of the day. However, it also highlights how with a little hard work and perseverance, people can build a satisfying lifestyle for themselves.

The book is fairly easy to read, and could be enjoyed by people of most ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love adventures, you'll love this book!, 19 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This book is my all time favourite it is packed full of discoveries and survival. It is about a family who get shipwrecked on an island which they build homes and grow; and hunt for their own food. In every chapter something happens from finding new and wonderful creatures, being chased by a poisonous snake and being attacked by savages. If I was you I'd give this book a whirl as it is full of imagination and adventure. I'm sure you'll enjoy this book as much as I do!

3.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful period piece!, 17 Mar 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Average..., 12 Feb 2011
A story many of us are familiar with, but can't say that the story was as gripping as I remember as a youngster.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 29 April 2008
`Swiss Family Robinson' is a Ladybird Children's Classic book, which is a series of books; the collection includes Around the World in Eighty Days, The Happy Prince and Other Stories and Tales from the Jungle Book. Obviously, this book is in it too. It is quite well known and loved. Here is a brief analysis of it.

Characters
The main characters are the family of course: the unnamed man, his wife, their children (Francis, Jack, Ernest and Fritz), and their dog Turk.

Settings
The first setting is at sea, a rough, stormy sea, and the second setting is on an island, full of birds and animals; it also had some wonderful, colourful, beautiful plants! How will they survive on this island with a limited amount of (salty) food?

Rating and recommendation
I would rate this book 9/10 and would recommend it to all children who like exciting stories!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, in my top 5 of books, 20 Nov 2003
Rich (Aberystwyth, Wales) - See all my reviews
I've read my brother's battered paperback copy X number of times, and thought it was about time I had my own, as it's one of my favourite books. I was surprised, though, that it seemed quite different! Having been translated probably more times than I've read it, it was unsurprising that this is a different version, and as each translator pretty much rewrote and 'improved' the book, you can see where this is going, you can't really get an accurate English version! That said, I still enjoyed it, it's an excellent read, for kids and big kids. More adventurous than Swallows and Amazons and easier reading than Robinson Crusoe. Buy it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Swiss family Robinson, 5 July 2014
This is a really good book. I do not know whether it is based on a true story but it is a good story all the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Free Kindle book not yet read, 22 Jun 2014
I haven't read this Kindle book yet but I'm assuming it will be really good. I downloaded it to my Kindle as it was a free book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Swiss Family Robinson
The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss (Audio CD - Dec 1998)
Used & New from: 76.12