5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging chronicle of the life and times of a jazz master., 2 July 1996
By A Customer
In his 49 year career Stan Getz was a master in all the major movements in jazz. Yet, in each
idiom he was able to sustain his distinct style and voice on the tenor saxaphone and remained
an important contributor to the evolution and vitality of Jazz throughout his career. Like many
of his contemporaries he also endured a troubled personal life including drug addiction, alcohol abuse, troubled
marriages and agonizing emotional pain. In "Stan Getz: A Life in Jazz" Donald L. Maggin not only
effectively chronicles Getz's personal and career developments, but he also takes time to establish the
context of Getz's musical development in the careers of the people he played with and the larger jazz
movements. This is a compelling story which celebrates Getz's triumphs and empathizes with
his pain without excusing his abuses. An excellent biography which offers a view of the jazz world since WW II.
Highly recommended reading of equal value to jazz enthusiasts and casual listeners.

Charlie Saxe

Chicago, Illinois

5.0 out of 5 stars Stan Getz:'THE Sound',the life-what contrasts!, 29 Dec 1996
By A Customer
Okay, I'm a fairly knowledgeable jazz buff, got lots of Stan Getz CDs. Thought I'd try a book about the man behind the incredible sounds of deep emotions. But whoa! This guy was as much a mess off the stage as Chet Baker, Charlie Parker, Art Pepper,et. al. I had NO idea!! Donald Maggin does a fine job of reporting the events as they occurred & lets us formulate our opinions about this incredible "Life In Jazz". The book badly needs a discography although to follow along w/ the story. Maybe next edition?! Otherwise a book hard to put down for jazzbos AND paparazzi/soap opera lovers! Dr.Mike Baughan Richmond,Va.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would like to translate it to Swedish, 19 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Being a recognized translator and a Stan Getz fan, I would like to translate the book to Swedish. At the same time I am aware of the fact that certain aspects concerns an important family in Sweden, i.e. Silfverskiold. Anyway, Maggins book is of too great importance to be ignored and Stan Getz is a legend...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - sad it is out of print, 20 April 2014
Dr. John P. Yardley "djpy" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Whether or not you rate Stan Getz, this book is required reading for anyone interested in contemporary jazz. Not only does it give a superb context of jazz during Stan's life, it is such a fascinating story. It also covers useful technical detail (e.g. modal, choral playing) in a way I would have thought most non-musicians could understand. I have always loved Stan's playing, but not until this book did I realise what a giant he was - quite possibly the best jazz saxophone player of all time - and what a live of extremes he led. The book has also been a great resource from which to discover recordings that illustrate Stan's abilities. The only thing I think this book lacked was some pictures. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ecellent purchase!, 9 Jan 2011
A great read for Getz fans!!! I have read this book before, although many years ago, and was disappointed to find that it was out of print. I am so pleased to have found this copy and it is in excellent condition. It took a little while to arrive but I was prepared for that and in no hurry - it did come from the US after all!!! All in all I am over the moon to have my own copy. I just need to learn to play like him now!

Stan Getz
Stan Getz by Donald L. Maggin (Audio Cassette - May 2000)
Used & New from: £61.72