4.0 out of 5 stars Lowell Cauffiel pulls off an epic challenge
We think that in this age of communication we can no longer be surprised by the depravity of human nature. However, this horror story of "the most dysfunctional family in America" had me asking myself if what I was reading could possibly have happened in reality.
Published on 18 July 2003 by Mary Cullinane

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the squeamish!
This story is really one of the most horrible accounts of a true crime family. It's enough to make your blood boil to have a family like that exist in the first place. I do recommend it for reading but it's not for the easily disturbed by disgusting images. The story of the House of Secrets is very similar to the West family in England.
Published on 6 April 2006 by Sylviastel

4.0 out of 5 stars Lowell Cauffiel pulls off an epic challenge, 18 July 2003
Lowell Cauffiell does an exceptionally good job in the way he structures the telling of the story. Had this not been the case, it would have been extremely difficult to follow the dynamics of the Sexton family leading up to the climax of this incredible tragedy. Though every crime imaginable, including incest, rape, and murder are committed within this family, Mr. Cauffiel treats the victims,, who in later years became themselves the perpertuaters of these very crimes, with great understanding and sympathy.
The only criticism I have of this book is that the author hardly explores the possible reasons of why the Eddie Sexton, the author of such unimaginable evil, might have turned into such a monster.
I certainly would recommend Mr. Cauffiel and will myself be looking out for more titles by this author

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the squeamish!, 6 April 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome but great !!, 21 Oct. 2003
Meld27 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book tells an almost unbelievable tale of a very twisted man. The details on occasions are graphic but this makes for an even more compelling read. A really great read for any true crime lovers, I couldn't put it down...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but Disturbing, 31 Dec. 2006
S. Skinner "Beav Baby" (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This is the fastest I have ever read a non-fiction...they usually bore me to tears. However, the book is disturbing as I never would have thought a family such as this could exist. The method of writing makes this a real page turner.

1.0 out of 5 stars More On The Character, 6 Jan. 2004
Steve Ellis "se4u70" (UK) - See all my reviews
I found the book to go far to deep into the family and friends social sevices and police rather than concentrating on the main character. I lost track of the story got bored/fed up and gave up half way through the book. Overall I was very very disapointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars House of Secrets, 28 Dec. 2003
I bought this book for Christmas, however i found it distateful in the extreme, Goes too deep and drags on for far too long.
I expected an open and shut case but all i ended up with was a bad taste and an unfinished read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: House of Secrets (Kindle Edition)
interesting

House of Secrets
House of Secrets by Lowell Cauffiel (Mass Market Paperback - April 2014)