4.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed Very Much!
Published on 28 April 2011 by Pete

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't grip me
Slow is probably the word I would use to describe this. It lacks the urgency most zombie style books have. I wouldn't not read it if you were thinking about it but just be warned that the story takes a while to get going. So as i always seem to say at the end of my reviews, give it a go. you might enjoy it more than than i did.

Also be prepared for an...
Published on 10 Jan. 2012 by Martin Loughlin

4.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed Very Much!, 28 April 2011
After reading Dead City and Apocalypse of the Dead I found this initially a little slow. Sometimes Joe gets a little too wrapped up in discussing police life. However, the pace soon picked up and I was completely hooked. I enjoyed this every bit as much as the first two. This author knows how to get under the skin of his characters, as well as being excellent at writing past paced action scenes. Read the trilogy (in the order I listed) and you'll have yourself a really great read.
Just wish I could stop imagining people going zombie in the street, though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Sequel To Joe McKinney's Dead City, and Apocalypse of The Dead, 2 Mar. 2013
I covered buying Flesh Eaters and Apocalypse of The Dead whilst on holiday in the US, in my review for Apocalypse of The Dead. I started Flesh Eaters soon after finishing Apocalypse of The Dead, and found it just as gripping. Flesh Eaters covers the impending zombie apocalypse from the view points of other survivors, this time trying to escape Houston, Texas after it is hit by the zombie virus, and is quarantined by the authorities to stop the spread of the virus. At times Flesh Eaters did slow when explaining police life, but I liked these segments taking a break from the zombie action.

As with Joe McKinney's novels, they are gory in detail about zombies, and their attacks but in a positive way. McKinney explores the deep seated nightmare of the zombie apocalypse, of having no safe haven to run to, or any guaranteed supply of food and water. Those are the main dangers facing survivors of any end-of-the-world event, and McKinney explores them well as well as the usual fight for survival against the zombies themselves. Flesh Eaters is McKinney's third novel of four, and continues the events of the zombies apocalypse from other survivor's points of view. I would recommend Flesh Eaters to those who have read Dead City, and Apocalypse of The Dead already before moving onto Mutated afterwards. Great zombie novel, I could not put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't grip me, 10 Jan. 2012
Martin Loughlin (Belfast) - See all my reviews

Also be prepared for an unusual ending to a zombie book.

If you like your end of the world zombie style, check out Outpost. Not strictly zombie but as close as makes little difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Houston, we have a problem..., 1 July 2014
John Milton (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having been so impressed with ‘Apocalypse of the Dead’, I broke my own rules and almost immediately started reading ‘Flesh Eaters’, the third in the Dead World series from American author Joe McKinney.

For those unfamiliar with the preceding titles in the series, McKinney has laid waste to his native Texas with the assistance of some natural disasters, followed by a zombie outbreak. ‘Flesh Eaters’, follows in the footsteps of both ‘Dead City’ and AOTD in that it tells its own story, linked to the series in that it stems from the same events but yet, unique and distinct in its own right.

‘Flesh Eaters’ effectively centres on the plight of two families: the Nortons and the Shaws. Both are families with career police officers at their heart but both families have very different paths set out for them by the author...

With the city of Houston devastated by hurricanes and flooding, it creates an environment for proceedings to play out in that to my mind, have not been portrayed before in any horror novel I have come across, let alone the zombie subgenre. Furthermore, the narrative covering the response of the police and those in authority here is enhanced by the author’s own experience as a police officer of nearly two decades service, coupled with his expertise as a disaster mitigation specialist. I am at a loss trying to think of any other authors with such an impressive pedigree.

‘Flesh Eaters’ has been criticised for taking its time to get started. Such criticism, I would suggest’ is unwarranted. McKinney plunges the reader in to the midst of a city dealing with disaster from the off and thereafter, adds the walking dead to the mix, culminating in some spectacular events that wouldn’t look out of place in a big budget movie.

I was surprised at how quickly I tore through ‘Flesh Eaters’, given that it weighs in at around 400 pages long. However, I’d suggest it stands testament to the quality of the story found therein and how much I was actually drawn in by the nightmarish vision visited upon Houston by award-winning author Joe McKinney.

For those not familiar with the preceding titles in the Dead World series, there is no need to read ‘Dead City’ and AOTD before ‘Flesh Eaters’. Each tale stands equally well on its own. However, whatever you decide to do, ‘Flesh Eaters’ is definitely a tale of the walking dead that ought to grace your collection at your earliest convenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Let-Up!, 30 May 2013
Having read Dead City & Apocalypse of the dead I was surprised to find that this, the third in the series, was chronologically the second, taking the reader right back to the hurricanes and the initial outbreak.
Told from the point of view of the people in Houston, it was fast paced and gripping, and had me hooked from the first page! My favourite in the series so far, the author gets better with each

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Zombiefest, 6 Aug. 2011
Well written story with believable characters, plenty of zombies and government incompetence; what more could you want. Not the best I've read but certainly high up the scale. The fact that it takes place in a flooded area makes it different to other novels and adds interest to the story. I bought the other two books in this series after reading this and would also recommend dead city by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read. Totally gripping., 20 Dec. 2013
There are very few writers who can take a fictional subject such as the ZA, and make it so frightening realistic, and utterly doom laden. Its brutal, and unforgiving, and his detail to characters is second to none. The series continues to be amazing.

2.0 out of 5 stars 33% in and then it starts, 10 Jan. 2013
The book wad good from 33% in it, you know the characters well by then but you don't really care.

Moving through the book it is very good.

If you like Joe McKinney read it but don't read this as the first of his books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of the puzzle, 6 April 2011
If you enjoyed Dead City and Apocalypse of the Dead, then you're going to enjoy this one. It was good to hear the story from that side of "the wall" and I look forward to The Zombie King next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read !!!, 16 Dec. 2012
Probably the best zombie book out there.
Action packed throughout. Slow to start but once it gets going it's hard to put it down.
Off to read the next one now !!!

Flesh Eaters
Flesh Eaters by Joe McKinney (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Sept. 2012)