5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book for busy Christians!, 25 July 2004
E. Ives "e-clectica" (UK) - See all my reviews
Like many Christians I know, I seem to always be rushed off my feet. I take on too much, and hate to let people down or say 'no'. And then I realise, usually too late, that I have taken on too much. Ultimately, and ironically, it's my relationship with God that suffers and gets pushed to one side.
This book doesn't lecture or posture. Gordon Macdonald is sympathetic to those of us that end up in this mess, he freely admits to having been there himself. His writing is very perceptive - time and again I found myself nodding in agreement and smiling at behaviour that I recognise in myself.
This book is Scripture based and really PRACTICAL. It shows you HOW to get the balance right. It looks at how Jesus Himself spent His time. It helps you to look at your own life, one aspect at a time, recognise the weak areas and helps you to make practical changes for the better. Having read the book once, I am now working through each chapter a week at a time and doing the study. This gives me a chance to put one change into practice before trying to take on another one.
I wouldn't be overstating things to say that this book has revolutionised my practical life and my faith life. Rather than squeeze God in last, I am learning to put Him first, to develop my relationship with Him, and to draw off His strength for everything else I have to do. And I am learning to assess my time before I take on new projects and say 'NO!' when necessary!
If you are a busy Christian who is feeling frazzled and living on an empty tank - I would warmly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class - blows away all the 90's and Noughties gurus, 15 Jan 2010
Timothy Brown "Destiny Newcastle" (Newcastle Upon Tyne UK) - See all my reviews
Gordon MacDonald's classic book is worth re-reading 25 years later. His time honoured message has not aged in the way "sound bite" time management stuff does, but still holds true. This is a reflective and absorbing book, that will change your time management and your lifestyle. A must have for every Christian bookcase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ordering Your Private World has consequences !, 7 Nov 2010
This book entered my life 6 weeks ago and at 65 taught me how much worth there is in "Ordering Your private world " on a routine basis .It did me the power of good to travel alongside an author who had already travelled this path and who wanted to share its challenges and opportunities with others .It is a practical clearly signalled text. We examine the strengths and weaknesses of who we are and the ways in which we can come closer to God's presence.The five sections motivation , use of time ,wisdom and knowledge,spiritual strength and restoration help us to gain a more balanced inner world.
The book encourages a greater purity of heart by examining the elements of prayer ,study and action.In the weeks since I read it I have begun to appreciate the distinction between the driven and the called in Christian life,the importance of ordering time to meet God's plan for us , the importance of reading ,trusting in God and using time to renew and refresh.
This book is written in such a way that we can prayerfully explore our life choices and respond more confidently to each other's needs in the spirit of God's love and on an everyday basis. I shall return to it's pages often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging!, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Ordering Your Private World (Paperback)
Challenging to look at one's life and make time for a Sabbath day rest, and soak up the Scriptures from the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 27 Jan 2014
Challenging, thought provoking and practical. An honest look at our priorities and how we can actively seek maturity in our faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 5 Jun 2013
I got this as part of a MSM course reading list and it certainly made me think about the priorities I've had in life. I could certainly recognise how near to 'burn out' I had been. It's all very sensible and logical reading from a spiritual point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book, 30 July 2012
Very well written, full of godly insight. Thought provoking and challenging. makes the reader look carefully at all areas of his private world.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sort your life out!, 31 Oct 2010
Thought-provoking, life-changing. Don't touch it if you don't want to change your lifestyle and be thoroughly challenged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read more than once!, 28 April 2010
P. A. Caruana "ChristianProgger" (Dunstable, UK) - See all my reviews
Much like A Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, this book deserves to be read and re-read, ad inifinitum. It truly is a great devotional book, with timeless disciplines and principles.

Ordering Your Private World
Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald (Paperback - 6 April 2012)
9.50