Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2009
Have you ever wondered what you should be doing with your life to be a better person? it's not a question that I have ever thought that much about, but the last few years have seen me going through some difficulties and having to reevaluate much of my life and work.

The book is quite 'American' in style - in other words the book has quite a few supposedly inspirational stories and anecdotes. A lot of these stories are a bit repetitive and if you took them out the book would be a lot shorter. But actually I found myuself quite enjoying the stories as they do illustrate the basic points the author is trying to make.

Do not expect to find instant answers from reading this book. Like many other books, this book provides you only with a series of exercises and activities to get you thinking. I did, however, geta lot out of the book and would recommend it.
I have read 100's of very poor books on the Laws of Attraction in the last few years. I started reading books about goal setting, mind control and success principles in 1985. I have used what I learnt from my extensive reading, coupled with academic qualifications, business and psychology experience, to create a consulting company, teaching seminars to corporations in strategic thinking, leadership, marketing, goal setting and business development. I also use the principles to help individuals, by guiding them as a Life Coach, teaching people cognitive methods to help goal set and enhance their lives beyond what they could do on their own. As such, I read as many books as I can, on a variety of subjects to enhance my knowledge. I can honestly say, that with all that experience, this book has shattered me to the very core. It is the first John Maxwell book I have looked at, and it is simply one of the best books I have ever read for self/business development.

I have read so many very poor personal development books recently, that simply rehashed old material, into just another self help/development book. I have learnt very little in the past few months. This book, began as quite a boring read....and the first Chapter had me nodding off. I had listened to John Maxwell on a tape set many years ago, when we sold audio programmes into the European market. I had been totally under impressed by this product, I never bothered with Maxwell's work since. For some reason, I felt intuitively I had to buy this book, so going against my own prejudice for Maxwell I bought the book.

The first chapter was not great and I thought what a boring writer, it is going to be just another one of those books.

I persevered and by the end of Chapter 2 my lights went on. Through the Chapters I began learning things about my past sub concious programming, that I had never thought about before. Chapter after Chapter went by and more and more introspection took place. By the end of Chapter 8, I had filled an entire journal book, with ideas for my work as a consultant, motivational quotes but most importantly personal introspection. A good book can change how you feel. A great book changes how you feel and act. This book has changed the way I will teach, think, act, plan, grow etc..... whilst looking at others and helping them on their success journey. This book more than any other, I have ever read, has shaken my core beliefs about my personal philosophy and how I view myself. It has taught me so much about judging my past failures, and how to use them not as negative landmarks, but as positive keys that unlock the door to more growth and achievement.

There is a saying, "When the student is ready the teacher will be found". I was ready, after 25 years of reading success books, to find this book that caused me so much introspection. I am not sure this book will do this for everyone, I think I was just ready. What I am sure of is, anyone who reads this book, works on the ideas within their own lives and thinks very carefully how to implement the philosophy, will change beyond where they are now, and will make their Success Journey more dynamic and successful than they would have believed.

I have already ordered my next Maxwell book. Great read!
on 16 November 2007
A popular leadership speaker and prolific author, John C. Maxwell has a great deal of experience in the process of personal growth, and he communicates it well. This book, published as The Success Journey in 1977, is a useful step-by-step guide to plotting your journey to success, right down to the thoughtful exercises at the end of each chapter. Maxwell does a nice job of mixing the personal and professional sides of success and encouraging you to redefine it. His definition is that success is following your true purpose and living up to your dreams and potential, rather than just accumulating wealth and possessions. The book is quite a fast read - probably because a good portion of it is devoted to quoting others - and its evangelical tone may not appeal to all readers. Maxwell also makes frequent use of catchphrases, which help fill a page but say little. We recommend this book to ambitious individuals looking for guidance on creating and following a workable, actionable life plan.