4.0 out of 5 stars Have a go...
Published on 27 Sep 2005 by Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't find it engaging at all
I love Donald Miller and his blog posts and videos are really engaging. I found this totally take it or leave it and gave up after about the fourth chapter. It just read like his late night ramblings.
Published 4 months ago by T. King

4.0 out of 5 stars Have a go..., 27 Sep 2005
This review is from: Searching for God Knows What: Bearded Women, Alien Philosophers, Lovesick Teens, and the Gospel of Jesus (Paperback)
I do find a lot of Christian books very hard to get into and a lot seem very dry and irrelevant. I actually picked up this book when I was in the States and found it extremely readable and interesting. He is basically trying to get back to the idea of Christianity as a relationship, rather than a rule book. His ideas that morality is the consequence of a relationship with God - and therefore is more of a betrayal in that relationship than the contravening of some rule book, was particularly key to the whole book. It was a good introduction too for those who may be attracted to Christ, but repelled by a lot of what they see in religion. There were flaws in it - there was a bit where his history wasn't quite right and there were a few things about his interpretation of the Bible that I thought a bit eccentric. But, even if you don't agree with everything he says, he holds to and explains the essence of the Christian faith in an effective and refreshing way and, the greatest compliment, I really wanted to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, honest, interesting, funny book., 18 July 2010
This is a very good modern informal book written by a guy wondering what he sould be doing. He tells of how he started writing a self help book which changed and he found other ideas, people and thoughts which fill the book. Facinating, very funny at times, spiritual, deep, honest, some times profound great read. Inspirational book for modern times and modern people.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 17 July 2009
G. Gjelsvik (Norway) - See all my reviews
This book goes into my Best Ever Top Ten List. It was a rare combination of funny, stimulating, unpretentious and clever. I had to make notes as I read as there were so many gems I didn't want to forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 30 May 2009
A phenomenal book. Reading Donald Miller is like eating a piece of gourmet chocolate cake - you try to eat it slowly because you think you should, to savour all it's richness, but you end up scarfing it down quickly because - you just couldn't help it! I stayed home for 3 nights in a row just to "cozy up with Don" and read this book. I seriously felt like I was hanging out with an old, funny, deeply insightful friend. That's why we read, isn't it? To feel like we're not alone? Don put into words things that have been knawing at me for the last few years but i didn't quite know it.

And he did so beautifully.

The overall point of the book is that Christianity is not a formula, or a list of facts and ideas that you intellectually agree with. Instead, at its core, it is a complex group of narratives (written about in the Storybook called the Bible) that illustrate the basic idea that God is a person with whom we were created to have an intimate, personal, mysterious relationship with. It is this relationship alone that gives one true, lasting security and validation as a beautiful and lovable person. This relationship was broken a long time ago in a garden far far away, and as a result we are all messed up and have been trying for the last few thousand years to get people to love us so that we will feel less insecure and more lovable. Only a Reunion to beat all reunions, a heart-felt reconnection with our Maker can give us the security, love, and ultimate freedom to really love others without expecting any sort of "redemptive love" from them in return. We can be loved like we were meant to be loved, and thus we can love like we were meant to love.

So thanks, Don, for copying all my sub-conscious insights and writing a book about them. You beat me to it. But i'm glad, as i'm sure thousands of other people are, that you did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't find it engaging at all, 27 Feb 2014
T. King (Portadown, Armagh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

7.74
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available