5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme awesomeness
Published 20 months ago by Sam Quixote

3.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man
Interesting story but maybe I needed a bigger comic book background to fully understand some parts of it.

Still a good story.
Published 16 months ago by Ricardo Sousa

5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme awesomeness, 7 April 2013
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Iron Man: Extremis (Iron Man (Marvel Comics) (Quality Paper)) (Paperback)
A destructive new chemical compound called Extremis that gives the user superhuman powers is set loose onto a domestic terrorist with an agenda to bring down Washington. Cue Tony Stark, flying in to save the day! But even Iron Man isn't able to deal with this threat and must make a life altering choice. We also get the Iron Man origin story here that was used in the Iron Man film (with a few subtle tweaks).

I love Warren Ellis' writing whether it's his weird, original material or more mainstream projects like this book with Marvel. He always writes a very interesting, very fun script and "Extremis" is no exception. Tony Stark's intelligent, humourous nature is put across nicely as are moral arguments for scientists whose work can be used for both good and evil. Much was made of Adi Granov's art but I found it to be a bit bland. Iron Man looks good but the colours are very muted and the humans all look computer generated rather than natural. It wasn't terrible artwork but it was a long way from the brilliance I had been led to expect with this book.

"Extremis" was a great jumping off point for the Iron Man movie series and I think the producers would have done better if they'd chosen the hyper-powerful Timothy-McVey-type in this book than Jeff Bridges' giant robot-suited villain. It just seems like Ellis' villain is more edgy and interesting. The origin story here was also well handled, with Stark visiting Afghanistan and being taken prisoner by the Taliban. There's also a great throwback to the first issue of Iron Man, design-wise.

Overall, a very satisfying, well written superhero comic that I definitely recommend to fans both of the genre but also to those who aren't so that they can see why people enjoy these stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man 2.0, 10 May 2013
Mr. Mice Guy (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This volume reprints Iron Man issues #1-6 from 2005/6. This is the reboot of Tony Stark to the next technological level, with the addition of the Extremis technology to his arsenal. In this serial, a new nano-technology, developed by an old friend of Stark, escapes into the hands of cardboard-cut-out right-wing loonies, who infect one of their own, making him a superman, who goes on a killing spree, and smashes up Iron Man for good measure. The only way to stop him, and save Stark, is to use the remaining sample of Extremis on Stark himself. We get a flashback to the birth of the original Iron Man as the Extremis takes hold, showing the analogies between the two situations, as Stark must use technology to keep him alive and defeat the evil terrorists. Remember folks, terrorists are evil whatever their nationality, colour or creed.

The artwork, unfortunately, while being of the highest quality, gives the appearance of being a series of still-life pictures, with little or no sense of movement or dynamism, which takes great skill when illustrating a rocket-powered suit of armour. Unfortunately, it doesn't always make for the best comics, hence the 4-stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man, 22 Aug 2013

Still a good story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Artwork is lifeless, 6 Dec 2014
The artwork of this comic is so lifeless that it makes it almost impossible to engage with. The story may be good, but it's almost impossible to engage with purely because of the lack of motion in the artwork.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Iron Man survive his metamorphosis?, 6 April 2013
L Bond "Liam" (Royston, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
NO SPOILERS BELOW!

In recent years there has been a new renaissance of superhero movies which I overall I am really pleased about. Some good... some not so good. I already knew about a lot of the superheroes they portray from my childhood and watching their TV shows. I've seen almost all these modern day film depictions (despite Green Lantern - not heard anything good about that one!) and have really become enamoured with certain heroes and less keen on others. I guess you could say some movies make us believe, and others just pass over us as they don't relate. And I think the key thing with any superhero story is the relation with the reader/watcher/audience.

One of my young distant memories is watching X-Men in silly yellow suits and crude clichéd remarks, the other is Iron Man who had a gallery of suits and saved the world in one of them each episode. I guess the novelists and film makers saw potential in these shows to develop a stronger concept to bring to a wider, adult audience (and also bring in a younger audience to their respective Marvel/DC worlds).

As you may have guessed, I'm a film and TV watcher and always have been. I have always been visual and loved the moving picture (eventually going to Leeds College of Art to Study the same). And so by no means am I a graphic novel aficionado. At art college I dabbled with a few weighty tomes that looked good and felt good in the hands, but never really got into their concepts. However Iron Man intrigued me. The Man, the Suit, the power, the challenges. How could one man be an answer to all problems? Then I started reading about the origins of Iron Man and that kind of sealed my interest. I was hooked

After the first Iron Man 3 film trailer was released, again I was very interested in the plot and how he could develop further. Also whilst researching the new film I found it was going to be loosely based on the 'Extremis' storyline which had already existed for some time. Eager to understand what this storyline was I did more research. And it turns out 'Extremis' is an alternative beginning to Iron Man and his woes/successes. I am eager to watch the film but it was a long time coming - so i wanted to know more. Then this preorder of the compilation of the 6 story arc of the 'Extremis' storyline was going to be released as a compilation. How do comic book guys wait til the next comic book!?

I received my copy of Extremis this morning and started reading it because the stupid grand national and nothing else was on. And I did not put it down once. I read it from cover to cover. This story rightly portrays Tony Stark as a troubled genius with a stand to take and metaphorical cross to bear. He is challenged by more than one foe (himself being one included) and undergoes anything to overcome everything. The artwork is stunning - dark yet bright when needed, the wording and character's story flows perfectly (by my standards), the broad range of storylines and their convergence is spot on and the novel really leaves me wanting more. And I think that is the point with a graphic novel like this.

Now if you don't want any negatives about this book you should look away now and order - but in my humble opinion the 'technology' scenes should be shown in more detail and how they are experienced and that the battles should be more protracted to give you an idea of Tony Starks metamorphosis.

I hope this review helps (it's the first I have written for a product - but I felt it was needed) and if you have any comments I would be happy to hear them.

Overall for the money I spent, the storyline, the splendidly appropriate artwork - I would highly recommend it and it will leave you wanting more from the Mr. Stark and his film that is coming later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars comic, 15 July 2013
As a birthday present this was well received as it tied in to the movie earlier this year. The package arrived when I was told it would and was well package.

Iron Man: Extremis (Iron Man (Marvel Comics) (Quality Paper))
Iron Man: Extremis (Iron Man (Marvel Comics) (Quality Paper)) by Adi Granov (Paperback - 2 April 2013)