5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Marvel's Thor: The Dark World - The Art of the Movie (Slipcase) (Hardcover)
A great book at a hugely discounted price! This costs 40 on the high street!!

If you like Marvel movies and the artwork that goes into creating them then this book is a must!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 1 Jan 2014
Bought this for my son who is a Big marvel fan, book of the highest quality, images amazing, well worth the money for any fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous artwork again!, 31 July 2014
Jamie Thomas (West Wales) - See all my reviews
Another beautiful artwork book from the folks at Marvel, if like me you are collecting all of these, you won't want to miss the opportunity to add this one to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as far as it goes - which isn't far enough, 22 Jan 2014
Hatbox Dragon (somewhere on a train) - See all my reviews
I went to see Thor: The Dark World on the strength of the images I saw in the ads on TV: looming black spaceships, sunlit Asgard, the dark landscapes of Svartalfheim. I didn't expect much from the film, since I didn't much like Avengers Assemble and had not at that point seen Thor, so it was a real surprise to find that I loved it and ended up seeing it twice at the cinema (I think that's the first time I've ever done that!). The production was even more beautiful than I had hoped, so when I learnt that there was a book on it ... well, I really wanted it. And got it.

So what do I think? I think it's excellent. My previous benchmark for books of this type is the Art of Star Wars series (old, I know), but this is very much better than those. The book is founded on pictures, of course - production and VFX stills, concept art and keyframes, models and props, character designs and storyboards - but each section is supported by text which explains what the artists and designers were tasked with achieving, the inspiration they drew on and what motivated the choices the production team made. It's only a tiny insight into the process of making a film, but I found it fascinating. Many people are given a voice in this book, from the director on down to individual artists, which lends the whole thing a nicely collaborative feel. The picture quality is largely very good (the gloss paper and large format pages help), though some of the production stills are a little murky. There are a few typographical errors in the text, but only minor and nothing that interferes with understanding. My favourite parts are the lengthy chapter on the dark elves and the designs for the various aspects of Asgard.

But - and it's a very big but - the book does not cover the whole film. And yes, I did know that before I bought it, and I'd definitely rather have it than not, but it's still a great frustration to have those lovely designs and explanations cease partway through the sequence in Svartalfheim. No return to London, no final battle with Malekith, only the most token examination of the marketing campaign. I can't imagine what Marvel was thinking. I presume this book was put on sale when the film was released, so it's not like the plot would have been spoiled for anyone who really cared. Will there be an updated version later, so those of us who want the design development of the whole film can be satisfied?

So as much as I value The Art of Thor: The Dark World, then, it's fours stars from me, and that's purely because of what should have been there and wasn't. If you enjoyed the look of the film, though, you'll surely enjoy this book and for its quality, the price is fantastic.

This book contains the following: Foreword, Introduction, four chapters of varying length which work through the film chronologically up to the confrontation in Svartalfheim, a fifth and very short chapter on marketing, Afterword, Contributor Bios, Acknowledgements and Artist Credits. The Book of Yggdrasil is included, and those fantastic marketing pictures of Thor and Loki are on the slipcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 2 Aug 2014
great pictures fan must

Marvel's Thor: The Dark World - The Art of the Movie (Slipcase)
Marvel's Thor: The Dark World - The Art of the Movie (Slipcase) by Marie Javins (Hardcover - 19 Nov 2013)
31.29