Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 February 2013
In this revamp Mark Waid rejects the popular version of Daredevil as this overly dark and gritty character and returns him to his 1960s roots with a carefree attitude, smiling as he takes down bad guys, and basically being an upbeat and cheerful sort of chap who enjoys being both Matt Murdock and Daredevil. This is a refreshing take on the character especially as dark and gritty is really something that's run its course in superhero comics and is generally something I'm sick of reading about.

Daredevil's usual nemesis Kingpin is entirely absent from this book, instead the baddies he fights are long-forgotten villains only someone with an encyclopaedic mind of classic comics like Waid could remember and resurrect for his run. Villains like The Spot, a guy who uses spots to teleport about the place, or The Klaw, a guy who manipulates sound and would prove a challenge to someone like Daredevil who relies heavily upon sound to operate. There's also a villain who likes to hit people called Bruiser. These villains are so-so. It's not that I'm against Silver and Bronze Age creations, I like the silliness of them, their garish costumes and strange motives, but they're very forgettable and insubstantial. Colourful obstacles but nothing more. It'd be good to see, not Kingpin, but at least a villain that can be built up over the series for Daredevil to fight, rather than these goofy guys.

As this is a first volume, Waid does his best to familiarise any new readers jumping onboard with Daredevil/Matt Murdock and his abilities. So there are a number of scenes where Matt is telling Foggy about his powers but the amount of times he talked about echolocation and how it enables him to be Daredevil became too many. It did lead to a good scene where he demonstrates how his superior hearing allows him to master a complex instrument like a violin almost instantly but, come on Waid, stop repeating yourself!

How the echolocation is represented through the art of Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin is the best aspect of the book. Through innovative panels showing figures made up of a particular sound to illustrate how Matt "sees" them or through a kind of pop-art version of a street scene where words representing a sound or smell replace objects, they provide the reader with a unique and clever perspective on Daredevil. All this despite drawing Matt to look like Val Kilmer.

Waid does make a couple of questionable decisions that I felt were missteps. He takes Matt and Foggy from the courtroom and puts them in their office, coaching people who can't afford their counsel to represent themselves in court. So while the defendants are in court, Matt and Foggy are sat in an office waiting for the phone to ring with the verdict. While morally admirable, I felt it detracted from a key image of the character, of Matt standing in court looking like the real life version of the statue of justice. Removing him from that setting feels wrong.

Waid also decides to keep to Brian Michael Bendis' storyline of Matt Murdock revealing that he's Daredevil and then tries to retcon it. So there's a lot of "No I'm not Daredevil" dialogue from Matt throughout the book that I felt could've just been ignored. It was an idea that was explored but Marvel have clearly moved on so they should just pretend the storyline never happened and that, for this new run, everyone doesn't know.

Despite these criticisms, this is a pretty decent take on Daredevil, it's just not the game-changer I thought it'd be given the overwhelmingly positive response it's received. Maybe it's just because I'm not all that crazy about Daredevil as a character, but I thought this was a pretty average outing for the superhero. I might check out the next book in the series but the first book hasn't impressed me as completely as it has so many others.
on 3 March 2012
These past few months I've been getting really into Daredevil. I read a heap of Bendis' run and loved it, so when I heard good things about this new Daredevil series, I was looking forward to reading it.

I wasn't disappointed... it offers us a Daredevil that I haven't seen much of: one that allows himself to enjoy life. Sure, his demons are still there, but he is choosing to take a more positive approach to coping. He enjoys being a lawyer and having powers... he is making the most out of his situation.

I especially like how the art illustrates the way Daredevil "sees" the world.

This new take really makes the book feel more enjoyable... the stories themselves may not be the most memorable so far, but I enjoyed seeing Mark Waid's take on the character so much that I look forward to reading further into his run.

It's off to a great start!
on 2 August 2012
Having Only read Brian Michael Bendis run on Daredevil before this {a Brilliantly Gritty Run} I had read some reviews on the Mark Waid relaunch after the dire reviews of Shadowland so I thought I'd try it.
Now whilst a departure from The darker tone of DD over the last few Years, I found the lighter fun take on the man without fear a refreshing change, wether this more carefree Matt takes is up for debate but as a fun book I found it a great antidote to the forced Gritty stuff marvel is running with at the moment. Gritty has a Place {Uncanny X Force, Secret Avengers} but I got into reading marvel for the fun factor and this delivers that in spades, so not to everyones taste but I loved it.
on 27 December 2012
Daredevil has been one of my favourite characters for a very long time because, as Frank Miller said, he is the only character I can think of who is known for what he CAN'T do. He's been the subject of three GREAT runs (Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, and Ed Brubaker) and collected here is the probably the beginnings of another legendary Daredevil run. But it's markedly different than the rest. Tonally, this series is unique among the other runs, as it has a more up-beat swashbuckling adventure feel to it- and is about as far as you can get from Miller's previously definitive take on the character. That's not to say that Miller's take is not definitive anymore- it simply means that we have two great runs standing together. Daredevil, after a pretty miserable few years, is on the rebound and his glee at simply being Daredevil again jumps off the page. This is something I haven't seen the character do for a long time- he's having fun! Mark Waid's sharp prose is both humorous and serious at the same time, a difficult feat to accomplish in any medium. His characterization of Matt and Foggy are superb, and Foggy is always a great character and my personal favourite from the cast of the Daredevil comics. Their banter is always fun. It's just nice to see these characters getting it easy for once, and enjoying themselves, it is certainly refreshing. That's not to say that it's better than the other runs- it's just the dark was being done too much, and I think that was the failing of Andy Diggle's run. The particular superstars here, however, are artists Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin. Rivera offers a unique and brilliant, cartoonish style, similar in ways to the visuals of sixties comics and has much in common with Mike Allred. He does the first three chapters of this collection- the last three are done by Marcos Martin, and whilst a slightly different style of artwork it offers as great a presentation and there is no visible break in the artwork styles. I must say I favour Rivera's artwork over Martin's, but only just- Martin's Daredevil is a little TOO cartoonish, whilst Rivera fleshes his artwork out with solid shadows, but also bright colours. Each have brilliant storytelling skills- two pages particularly worth noting is when Matt hears Foggy eating crisps from the other side of the office, and it fills the entire page. Another stunner is a double-spread by Martin featuring Foggy and Matt walking through a street, but we see it as Matt would- wonderful in every sense of the word. I usually get tired of the hyping of comics, and many of the hyped comics I've read have left me slightly disappointed- among them James Robinson's current run on Earth 2 and Ed Brubaker's / Matt Fraction's run on Immortal Iron Fist. However, Daredevil truly lives up to the hype- it is brilliantly executed in every aspect and is a genuine pleasure to read. Roll on volume 2!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
After years of bleakness, noir, depression, alienation, and lots of other negatives, Mark Waid (noted for taking different tacks when chronicling well known heroes) has taken a different tack with Daredevil. It's probably the only one he could take if he wanted to make it different from everything else that's happened to the character in the last few years. He's made DD fun again.

Matt Murdock, who contrary to popular opinion insists that he isn't Daredevil, has decided to lighten up. No more angst and gloom and depression. He wants to have fun again and proves it by showing he has a sense of humour. He also has a slightly different way of showing how DD 'sees' the world though it isn't overdone if only stop the artist having a nervous breakdown. It's a nice fresh likable approach. Waid also throws in some new characters including an interesting potential girlfriend for Matt. I do think it's been overpraised by critics but it's still one of Marvel's better titles and I've already pre-ordered the next in the series.
on 23 August 2015
First off I wasn't sure at what point to jump into the DD universe. I heard the Brian Michael Bendis run is good but I decided to jump into this run and take it from there. (incidentally I have read Frank Millers classic origin tale). I am happy I did dive into this as you do get some back story of what DD has been up to before this point (his identity got discovered and he left New York).

In this volume the story starts with Matt Murdoch back in New York and a new story soon develops! I like the enemies he comes up against in this story, The Spot, The klaw (kind of) and a new character created by the team in the Bruiser ( A big brute mercenary). The artwork is cool, nice and bright and the story is enjoyable! I have since purchased volumes 2 and 3 of this run! So if like me you are unsure of where to jump into the DD universe you cant go far wrong with this!
on 12 November 2013
I loved this book, it looks like a classic book but modern story.

No need to rant about how good it is though, buy it and you will find out what a treat this book is.
on 27 October 2012
this is everything a superhero comic should be.
It's fun, exciting, looks fantastic, has a great storyline, brilliant characters. And it's NOT dumb either.
Up there there the Batman 'Court Of Owls' TPB as an example how superhero comics SHOULD be done.
on 18 October 2012
This is really good, basically Mark Waid completely changed Daredevil from a miserable guy to a guy trying to be happy. A really fun to read comic.
on 17 October 2015
very much Daredevil at his best!