on 7 August 2009
Well...I tried this against my better judgement and was truly let down. Quite what has happened to the Jeph Loeb of Batman's Long Hallowe'en etc I really don't know, but this is puerile stuff. Let's face it, as evidenced with Ultimates and Authority,once a genius such as Millar has made his imprint on a franchise there are few who can follow with any likelihood that the result will be different but similarly challenging. Well, this is certainly different! Different but dire! The artwork is overcrowded and poorly executed. All in all, this is one for the bargain bins!
on 23 June 2009
The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 were some of the best examples of Marvel comic books around, this is quite simply the worst (well the worst I've seen anyway). The writer seems to have just ignored the style of story telling displayed in its predecessors and has tried to deliver one supposedly jaw-dropping set piece after another. It fails miserably, making this a genuinely infuriating read. I feel spiteful saying it, but the author shouldn't be allowed any where near Marvel comics again. Pure contemptible rubbish. Nice art though.
on 3 February 2010
First of all you have to give it to the artwork of Joe Madureira in this book . The art is to put it simply the best in my opinion , I have seen in any Marvel comic over the last decade.
I , personally do not see the uproar of some of the Marvel fans regarding Loebs work. You have to keep in mind that Loeb had to put the whole third chapter of the Ultimates into five issues and thus , to compare it to Millars work, who had twenty six isuues to spread the the first two chapters of the Ultimates over is irrelevant and also had to keep the title which has reached its success and has been acclaimed for its originality from going stale. My only complaint is of the scribe spending more time writing the often grotesk fight scenes with randomly chosen fan favourite villains (which were only supported for being there by some mad scheme of Doctor Doom who was bound to show his face in the penultimate chapter of the Ultimate Marvel Universe at some point) than he did trying to deepen the plotline to the levels his predecessor reached.
Overall I have given the book three stars due to both the incredible artwork and the failing storyline which unfortunately did not have the time it needed to reach its fullest potential.
I would advise any steadfast readers of the Ultimate Marvel U to purchase this book despite the poor reviews as this is a complete neccessity as a tie in to the 'Ultimatum' saga.
on 31 July 2011
Ultimates 3 gets a hard time I feel, because its not as good as Ultimates 1 and 2, and because it leads into the generally disliked Ultimatum.
However, while i did have some quibbles with this novel, namely the change in artist, the depiction of Thor as a egocentric, Shakespeare lingo touting fool, the non mention of Capt America and Wasp's relationship, and the length, the story has plenty of positives too. Its got an intriguing conspiracy-type plot, it links up with Ultimates 1 and 2 in cool ways, and it crosses over with X men (and Spiderman a little) in a way that seems seamless and well thought out.
Definitely worth a buy if you've read the other Ultimates and are preparing to brave Ultimatum soon, as i am right now.
on 24 May 2013
Not a lot to say about this one.

Ultimates pulled me back to the comic world after 15 years.

It was an intelligent and eloquently told story (even though the second year was not as good as the first)

This last installment is awful told and completely unimaginative.

Pretty much kills the whole franchise.

I really do not know why they let this one go to print...
on 24 December 2009
After the wonderful characterisation and story building in the first two Ultimates stories I was looking forward to reading this title. However after finishing it all I can feel is disappointment.

The exploration of the characters that helped to make the first two titles in the series so good is completely missing. The story only just seems to make sense and is very rushed with twists being thrown in because thats whats expected by readers rather than serving any reasonable purpose in the story's development.

This is the first story I have read by Jeph Loeb. All I can say is bring back Mark Millar!
on 6 December 2009
Both the artwork and writing in Ultimates 3 are an utter let down. Whoever took over the mantle of Millar and Hitch was going to struggle to make their mark, but to go from epic story lines with cinematic style art to overly cartoony art work and a story about incest was a strange strange direction to go in. I willingly accept that I'm probably blinkered because I loved volumes one and two so much, but, honestly, if you enjoyed the first two, I dont think you'll enjoy the third.
on 3 August 2009
well i personally loved the ultimate universe all the way through and the ultimates were my all time favs. if you enjoyed mark millars realistic gritty world i advise you to steer clear of this book. the story was awful and made almost no sense. be warned this does not stand up against all other ultimate comics. avoid.
on 1 October 2009
I've never written a negative review on amazon before but people need to be warned off this comic. If you liked the Ultimates 1 & 2 - do not buy this! One of the worst comics I have ever read - it barely makes sense.
on 30 March 2011
Sorry to echo the previous comments but blimey, just felt I had to add my thoughts. Just read it after thoroughly enjoying volumes one and two. Great storylines and brilliant characterisation were the key reasons for the success of the Mark Millar penned originals.
This third volume sums up everything I find annoying about the endlessly churned out superhero graphic novels. Endless appearances by stars of other 'franchises' which are greeted as truly monumental, zero characterisation, and storylines which contain no logic, innovation and conceal their lack of ideas by being deliberately misleading.
The poor excuse for a 'mystery' is laughable here. The treatment of Captain America and Iron Man is absolutely ludicrous - one dimensional doesn't remotely explain how their 'characters' are portrayed here.
For me the artwork isn't as good as the previous volumes.
Overall - one of the best series ever laid low. Mark Millar created the Ultimates and is the Ultimates. Without him, it's completely gone off the rails.