5.0 out of 5 stars Who cares for the story, its eye candy baby!
As many ppl seem to dislike the storytelling in this book I won't rate it for that, because its not why i bought it. I got it because its the first start to finish work of a chapter of any kind by Joe Madureira since Battle Chasers in the art department. And as a big fan of his art I just love this book and see it more as an artbook. First of all, you can see how he...
Published on 23 Jan 2010 by Seco

Do not waste your time and do not waste your money on this poor excuse for entertainment. It doesn't even come close to the first two volumes of The Ultimate's by Mark Millar and Brian Hitch in terms of quality or even quantity with this with this worthless 5 issue piece of bad story telling. A true dissapointment in every way.
Published on 31 May 2009 by Stuart L. Mcconville

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst attempts at creating a comic book in the last 10 years., 31 May 2009
This review is from: Ultimates 3: Who Killed The Scarlet Witch? TPB: Sex, Lies and DVD v. 1 (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 14 May 2009
Ravinder Grewal (London, UK) - See all my reviews
After the fantastic work done by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch i was expecting great things. This book by "award winning Jeph Loeb" instead is a great big disappointment. Gone is the realism of both the story writing and the art of the first 2 series, and in is a story that a 3yr could write and a manga boys wet dream for the art. Basically if you liked Ultimates and Ultimates 2 leave well alone. All this does is make me wish i could get my time and money back

3.0 out of 5 stars Loeb might have been better off sticking with TV, 3 Feb 2010
G. A. Barnard "aajijdv" (Shrewsbury, England) - See all my reviews
First of all you have to give it to the artwork of Joe Madureira in this book . The art is to put it simply the best in my opinion , I have seen in any Marvel comic over the last decade.
I , personally do not see the uproar of some of the Marvel fans regarding Loebs work. You have to keep in mind that Loeb had to put the whole third chapter of the Ultimates into five issues and thus , to compare it to Millars work, who had twenty six isuues to spread the the first two chapters of the Ultimates over is irrelevant and also had to keep the title which has reached its success and has been acclaimed for its originality from going stale. My only complaint is of the scribe spending more time writing the often grotesk fight scenes with randomly chosen fan favourite villains (which were only supported for being there by some mad scheme of Doctor Doom who was bound to show his face in the penultimate chapter of the Ultimate Marvel Universe at some point) than he did trying to deepen the plotline to the levels his predecessor reached.
Overall I have given the book three stars due to both the incredible artwork and the failing storyline which unfortunately did not have the time it needed to reach its fullest potential.
I would advise any steadfast readers of the Ultimate Marvel U to purchase this book despite the poor reviews as this is a complete neccessity as a tie in to the 'Ultimatum' saga.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!, 6 Jun 2009
One of the worst comics I have ever read in my 35 years of reading comics, Jeph Loeb has taken the supreme genius of The Ultimates and reduced it to a puerile, mish mash of super cliche after super cliche- this guy not only 'killed the Scarlet Witch', he's killed the entire franchise stone dead!!

Shame on this idiot!!! Awful beyond words!

1.0 out of 5 stars Loeb let down, 7 Aug 2009
P. Cranfield - See all my reviews
Well...I tried this against my better judgement and was truly let down. Quite what has happened to the Jeph Loeb of Batman's Long Hallowe'en etc I really don't know, but this is puerile stuff. Let's face it, as evidenced with Ultimates and Authority,once a genius such as Millar has made his imprint on a franchise there are few who can follow with any likelihood that the result will be different but similarly challenging. Well, this is certainly different! Different but dire! The artwork is overcrowded and poorly executed. All in all, this is one for the bargain bins!

1.0 out of 5 stars What were Marvel thinking?, 23 Jun 2009
Jez Godwin (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
If I ask for apples in a shop, I don't expect oranges; if I buy 'The Ultimates 3' I expect a mature and high quality comic book continuing in the same vein as its predecessors - not this bilge. I've not been reading comic books long, but this is by far the worst I've ever read and frankly heads should be rolling for allowing Jeph Loeb to destroy this once respectible brand name. Aside from the art - absolute garbage! I will avoid Loeb's work like the plague from now on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brainless, 16 Aug 2011
I knew what I was getting into when I bought this title. I had read the various reviews and knew that this book is pretty universally disliked.

I am a huge fan of Mark Millar's excellent Ultimates 1 and 2, and so had avoided this due to its awful reviews. However now that Millar has returned to write Ultimate Comics: Avengers, I felt that I should get this book to fill me in on what has happened in the Ultimates universe before I got the new Ultimate stuff by Millar as I wouldn't know whats going on otherwise.

I have to say that even though I was prepared for this book to be bad it was much, much worse than I thought possible.

All the awesome groundwork done by volumes 1 and 2 is pretty much thrown out of the window. This is utterly brainless stuff with the plot revolving around people punching each other. It reads like a collection of posters which someone has tried to write a story over the top of, with each chapter ending with a group shot of overly muscly heroes posing together for the 'camera'.

What's more this doesn't even follow on from the end of Ultimates 2. Plenty must have happened in the various other Ultimate titles between Ultimates 2 and this book, so this begins with the team completely changed from the previous book. Characters have changed their costumes. Ultimates members have left the group and new ones have joined. None of this is explained so it really feels like you have missed something.

One of the most annoying things to me was that Thor in this book speaks as he does in the regular universe (thee, thou, verily etc). I really can't stand that and was so glad they didn't do that with Ultimate Thor. Also he seems to have aged 20 years and gained 500 pounds of muscle. Even his hammer now looks identical to the original Marvel universe version so what we have here is the original Thor plain and simple. I really hope Millar ignores this and goes back to writing Thor the way he did in his books for Ultimate Comics: Avengers.

Finally the artwork is technically brilliant but has an exaggerated, cartoony quality with overly muscly characters and extreme lighting, which takes away from the realism of the previous titles and doesn't work for me at all.

Everything about this book is awful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Dec 2009
After the wonderful characterisation and story building in the first two Ultimates stories I was looking forward to reading this title. However after finishing it all I can feel is disappointment.

The exploration of the characters that helped to make the first two titles in the series so good is completely missing. The story only just seems to make sense and is very rushed with twists being thrown in because thats whats expected by readers rather than serving any reasonable purpose in the story's development.

This is the first story I have read by Jeph Loeb. All I can say is bring back Mark Millar!

1.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 1 July 2009
L. Forster - See all my reviews
This graphic novel was a let down, not only for the Ultimates series, but the entire Ultimate universe.

1.0 out of 5 stars A massive step backwards, 6 Dec 2009
C. Morrison "tempus" (London) - See all my reviews
Both the artwork and writing in Ultimates 3 are an utter let down. Whoever took over the mantle of Millar and Hitch was going to struggle to make their mark, but to go from epic story lines with cinematic style art to overly cartoony art work and a story about incest was a strange strange direction to go in. I willingly accept that I'm probably blinkered because I loved volumes one and two so much, but, honestly, if you enjoyed the first two, I dont think you'll enjoy the third.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›