5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Xmen Series to date, 12 Mar 2007
This review is from: Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate Collection Book 1 TPB: Ultimate Collection v. 1 (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
This book is awesome! But i should first clear up some points. The main one being, this book is not about the xmen in the ORIGINAL Marvel universe. THese xmen are in the ULTIMATE universe, which was invented by Marvel to try and introduce younger readers to comics. It also means you dont have to know anything about xmen to read this. But this doesn't mean you won't enjoy it if your not a young teenager. Its especially great if you read comics 20 years ago and you want to get back into them.

Secondly, this is not JUST the first volume, It contains volumes 1 and 2 of the Ultimate X-men series. I made the mistake of then buying Ultimate Xmen Vol. 2 after I got this, only to find I'd already read it.

Its an overall a great book and acts as a great introduction to comics, the x-men and the Ultiamte Universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good. Not just for kids, 28 Jan 2008
Eve (stoke on trent, staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I write surprisingly because for one it's a comic and there is a certain snobbish attitude towards comics or graphic novels, especially if you're over a certain age. Well I'm over a certain age and I really enjoyed this collection. I can't help thinking the success of the films has brought new readers to the comics.

This is my first foray in this particular Marvel world and I'm very pleased with what I've found. Interesting grown up storylines, great graphics.
You don't need to know the characters history or have followed X-men since the 1960's!, as each is introduced (briefly) or their relationships and past are revealed through the stories.

Looking forward to reading my next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant reimagining, 14 Dec 2007
Peter Whiteford (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
I just got this from Amazon myself, and while I was expecting something good, this was very good. It's fast moving and action packed, but not so fast that it's confuisng, and the action is interspaced with moments of calm that are either funny or tender.

The characters aren't new for anyone who has read the X-Men before, but they are certainly an interesting and nice change. Nice in that, they are still partly the same; Cyclops is grown up Boy Scout and Wolverine is as nasty as ever, but they have their special Ultimate-ness, that makes them exciting and special for old readers, and easily accessible for new readers.

Since this book contains the first twelves issues of the series, there's enough to keep you going for a quite a while, and it also manages to cover enough interesting storylines that you don't get bored. Overall I would say to anyone who likes Marvel comics, or just comics really, and hasn't read this, "Why Not?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Best X-men Series, 6 Aug 2011
I have been collecting normal Marvel Universe X-Men and I have just read this Ultimate version, and I much prefer this one. The authour Mark Millar has taken the X-Men and slightly changed all the characters (personality and backgrounds/origins, not their powers), and the four artists are all good at their job as well.
The story for the Tomorrow People (the first book in the collection) itself is your typical X-Men story: Sentinels hunt mutants, the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants diagree on how to deal with it. The X-Men are the usual lineup: Professor Charles Xavier, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm (a car-thief), Beast and Colossus (a Russian arms-dealer); joined by Ice-Man, Wolverine (an ex-Brotherhood of Mutants assassin) and Nightcrawler (an ex-black-ops agent) throughout the book. The Brotherhood of Mutants are also as you would expect: Magneto, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Blob, Toad and Mastermind.
The rare #1/2 fills the gap between Tomorrow People and Return To Weapon X (the second book in the collection), showing Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver fighting the X-Men in the aftermath of the end of Tomorrow People (I will not tell you what happpens at the end, spoilers and all that).
Return to Weapon X is a much darker story than Tomorrow People and most X-Men stories I have read, about a top-sectret government black-ops team "above presidential clearance" (Weapon X: Sabertooth, Juggernaut and Rogue) kidnapping the X-Men (except Wolverine) and forcing them to go on black-ops missions, leaving Wolverine, the Brotherhood of Mutants and Nick Fury (the Director of Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D.) to rescue them.
Return to Weapon X also ends with a shocking cliff-hanger that made me order the second ultimate collection book as soon as I had finished this one.

Used & New from: £7.43