5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of the imagination. Sheer heaven.
Published on 18 Aug 2008 by Ka Sutton

3.0 out of 5 stars A great beginning
This story is O.K. The artwork is lovelly and most of Thor's pantheon of heroes and villains are brought back to life after a long sleep. It has a few nice action scenes but the lack of any real story and the sense that this is just setting up things to come mean that it is not, perhaps, the most satisfying of reads.
Published 17 months ago by William Axtell

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of the imagination. Sheer heaven., 18 Aug 2008
Ka Sutton - See all my reviews
Basically, Thor is ressurrected and he recreates Asgard in the rural heartlands of America. He then seeks out other lost gods - who are now living temporal mortal lives, without memory of their former godhood, (that is until they are 're-awoken' by Thor.) It sounds daft, I know, but it's well-done. I particularly enjoyed watching the ordinary locals' - and their almost believable reactions to their new, supernatural, 'old-world' neighbours. This is a refreshing change from the cliched superhero genre. It's not fast-paced and it's short on violent action - so anyone looking for an action-based tale may be disappointed. The story builds and unfolds at a rather gradual-pace - which in my view only adds to the overall depth and brilliance of the story. I found it compelling... enthralling, full of enjoyable characters and sheer magic. I especially enjoyed the new version of Loki - (surely the most alluring and even sinisterly sexy version ever created!)

!

5.0 out of 5 stars The God of Thunder returns!, 9 May 2008
This compilation features the first 6 issues of the new monthly Thor series. It finds Thor returned to Earth post-civil war, once more fused with Dr Donald Blake, as the only Asgardian God remaining. He embarks on a quest to find his fellow Asgardians, and has an encounter with an old Avengers colleague on the way, with violent results. Wondered what Thor thougth of the close created by Reed Richards and Tony Stark? It's within these pages!

Superbly written and amazingly drawn, the Thunder God has truly returned with a vengeance. Expect great things from this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nearly a five star return to form, 12 Mar 2009
This review is from: Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB (Paperback)
There are no owrds to describe how nervous I was buying this.
I mean, this is Thor, The Odinson, Got of thunder and all that. One of the greatest Avengers.
Being written by J. Micheal Straczynski.
Good ol' JMS.
The guy behind Babylon 5, the man who had that great storyline with Spider-man and the origin of his powers, the writer that made me interested in Spider-man for the first time in years.
The man that killed off my interest in Spider-man when he had Spidey making a deal with Memphisto to protect everyone and bring Aunt May back to life.
Yawn-arama city.
Just when Marvel were being gutsy with their characters.......
I digress.
I heard that Marvelwere bringing back Thor and I worried. Why, how and should I care.
So why bring him back?
Well, the world had changed thanks to The Civil War, a Thor clone killed a one of the other heroes. and Iron man was a tool.
The word was missing something.
It was missing Thor.
Along with The Hulk, Thor would be the only other character who could tip the balance one way or another.
Whay JMS does is gives us a slow burning story, the slug-fest shows up close to the end, the rest of the time you meet Thor again, see where Asgard is. Best part is, you meet the neighbours. Very funny, very honest towns folk who now live with Asgardian gods.
There's a great scene with Iron man that save me a geeky smile.
The art work is great, makes me think of Any Kubert, and as for Thor's new look?
Glad the cape's back and love the warrior look, the touches of armour re-inforce this Thor as being different and feels like he has come back for a purpose.
I hope that he'll join an avengers team after this Dark Reign storyline's out of the way.

Thor is a great read and a story I have read again and again and again.
What stopped it from being five stars?
Me being petty and not forgiving JMS for ruining a childhood super hero, Spider-man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all round, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB (Paperback)
I needed this vol as part of my dissertation work and was nervous about the delivery estimate but it arrived very fast in excellent condition and the graphic novel itself is very useful and entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Thor, what more could you want?, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB (Paperback)
After reading about the various aspects of this Thor series by JMS, I really didn't think I'd like it. A doctor with a stick that magically transforms him into a god? Thor bringing back Asgardians through the memories & souls of living human beings? Asgard residing in America? I didn't wholly believe this could be in anyway cool, but I was completely wrong! I love the inclusion of Donald Blake & the interactions between him & Thor, & those between Asgardians & the locals. It works. Best of all though, Thor is completely kick ass - Iron Man is completely taken aback by his true power & even questions whether he is Thor; he just didn't know how strong The Thunder God truly is. The whole JMS run is brilliant, but be warned, the only problem being that the end of this story is finished elsewhere in the Latverian Prometheus by Kieran Gillen & not in any volume by JMS. Best piece of advice I can give you if you must finish this story, is to purchase the Thor by Kieran Gillen Ultimate Collection, as the Latverian Prometheus story is included, & will work out cheaper than buying the story TPB on it's own.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great beginning, 23 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty!, 27 Dec 2011
Mr. N. J. W. Turnbull "St. Nick" (Canterbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB (Paperback)
The best JMS work for Marvel, as Thor is re-positioned in his role as Earth's mightiest protector and most noble of warriors. His deconstruction of Tony Stark's motives for his actions in Mark Millar's Civil War event is as good on the 20th read as the first... Coipel's pencils are second only to Stuart Immonen and Dustin Weaver (SHIELD) in Marvel's current crop. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent re-boot, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB (Paperback)
Biased as I am(Thor has been my favourite hero since I was about six)it is good to see Marvel throwing some serious comic talent at this title.
Solid writing and Coipels superb artwork(his style seems to really suit drawing Asgardians)made this an excellent purchase.
It is so good that this latest re-boot has Thor at his most powerfull,in his rightfull position as Marvels mightiest with genuineley God like powers.
Great idea for the story(essentially Asgard moves to Kansas!), this is worth buying for Thor's little 'encounter' with Iron Man alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Gods, 11 April 2009
D. L. Wilkinson "Dean" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
Thor is back.I hadn't read much Thor for many years to be honest and only recently became aware that he had gone.After reading the civil war series and becoming interested in the Marvel Universe once more I decided to get some Thor and this is I what I got.It's great.The art is very nice by Coipel and Thor's meeting with Iron man is just what the tinpot playboy needed.
I still just love the fact that pagan Norse gods still exist in the pages of comics all these centuries later and are transplanted right into the heart of the modern world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ye Gods, this is dire!, 22 Nov 2012
Greywolf (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB (Paperback)
I've read some very good comic books by J. Michael Straczynski. Sadly, this isn't one of them. Especially sad for me since Thor, as created, plotted and drawn by the great Jack Kirby (The Mighty Thor Omnibus), and later by Walt Simonson (Thor Omnibus), has long been one of my favourite characters in comics. With Straczynski at the helm, I had high hopes for another great run. Instead, what I got was a poorly-conceived farrago of nonsense, in which the gods are literally and metaphorically brought down to Earth. Asgard in the Midwest? Give me a break. This Thor is not the noble scion of Asgard I had come to know and admire over the years, this is a boorish, whingeing non-entity acting like a spoilt child and lost in a plot that feels as though it was thrown together by a committee, a committee that was probably drunk at the time. No, no, a thousand times no!
Please do yourselves a favour and avoid this book unless what you're looking for is a masterclass on how to ruin a great character by having zero understanding of his history and fundamental nature and no sympathy whatsoever for his origins in Norse mythology. I would rate this as the single most disappointing comic book yarn I've ever read, and I have read a few turkeys in my time.
The 5-star reviews leave me utterly baffled, and I must just accept that, like any other product of the imagination, this book appeals to some and not to others. Hey, I think Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin's apparent 'art' is of less artistic merit than the average lump of coal, but others willingly hand over millions to own it. So, yes, it's a matter of taste, but I have been reading comics for over 50 years, love the medium and hugely admire its best exponents, Kirby, Ditko, Colan, Robinson, Morrison, Moore et al. And for my money ... well, in this case, I wish I'd saved my money.
Sorry, J. Michael, but hey, Rising Stars is great!

Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB
Thor By J. Michael Straczynski Volume 1 TPB by J. Michael Straczynski (Paperback - 13 Aug 2008)
10.02