4.0 out of 5 stars Dial M for Magneto
Published 24 months ago by Sam Quixote

3.0 out of 5 stars House of Awesome!
This is a wicked comic.

It's pretty Twilight Zone in execution. Basically Wanda Maximoff alters reality and the X-Men and Avengers have to sort out the resulting mess.

The book opens strongly and continues in this fashion. Much care has been taken to ensure that reader understands that there is a lot at stake here.

My only gripes are...
Published on 30 Aug 2006 by William Mclaughlan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Dial M for Magneto, 31 July 2012
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
The Scarlet Witch has gone crazy after killing some of her fellow Avengers leaving the hero team along with the X-Men pondering what to do with her - do they kill her for what's she done or because her powers have become unstable? Before they have a chance to decide anything she uses everything she has to change the world into a mutant utopia where humans are hounded and giving each mutant their heart's desire.

Brian Michael Bendis writes a fascinating event book the equivalent of DC's "Elseworlds" series where we step through the looking-glass into an alternate world representing the ultimate what if...? What if Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy were married? What if Scott Summers and Emma Frost were together? What if Xavier were dead and there were no X-Men - what would take their place? What if Magneto - head of the House of M - were ruler of the world?

While I thought the book was a great read there were a few things that bothered me. Scarlet Witch is just too powerful. She can change the world in the blink of an eye? It's too much, not even Phoenix was that powerful. She goes from a mutant to Titan status in this one book before going back to mutant at the end. It's a bit contrived.

Also the premise of giving everyone "what they most desire" is a bit selective: was it Rogue and Nightcrawler's wish to become underlings to Wolverine? How about all Luke Cage's followers - did they desire most to be Cage's lackeys? I imagine each mutant would most desire to have the same status as, say, Spiderman or Wolverine - that is to say, be in the spotlight, the centre of attention. I thought it was unfortunate that Bendis left out Thor and Hulk who would've been interesting choices for this kind of storyline, though I did think his choice for Cap was very revealing in a touching and clever way.

The panel layouts are annoying too. Some panels stretch across two pages and then the panels beneath it stack up so it's unclear whether they're to be read up-down or across left/right. It's either Bendis or the artist Oliver Coipel's fault but it was overly complicated when it didn't need to be. Very poorly thought out.

But these are minor gripes, I enjoyed the book and felt Bendis did a fine job of telling a great alterna-take on the Marvel Universe. Original and well written, "House of M" is for superhero comics fans looking for a different take on a raft of classic characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars House of Awesome!, 30 Aug 2006
William Mclaughlan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a wicked comic.

My only gripes are that there are a lot of characters (having not been reading comics for as long as I'm gussing Marvel's target audience have) who I don't know or would like to have seen more of - such as She-Hulk. Also the panel layout is very epic. Single panels often strech across both pages and it is often unclear as to what I should be reading next. This happened a lot to me through out the reading. I was reading down when I should have been reading across.

That said there is some really lavish artwork, such as Wolverine's daring motorbike jump across a junction and the first formal introduction of the House of M itself.

A really cool comic. I'd be very sad if the Hulk and Spiderman books just show the characters in their alternate reality because I feel this story's strong enough to continue for a while on it's own.

I've ordered the Excalibur prelude from Amazon but it's taking it's time. I'd like to read that before I buy any of the later books. But I think I will get the next few since the first was so good.

This is definatly worth a read if you like this kind of thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crossover with potential, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
I'm not really into crossovers but this one is unique. I really love stories that focus on the concepts of alternate realities. Finding details and catching the differences in the genesis of superheroes gives a lot of fun. World of House of M is so addictive that we feel unsatisfied when the story comes to an end. I wish i could stay and explore the world even more. If I could decide I would made this story twice longer. I will definitely buy more comics from "House of M" crossover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
Whoa! I picked this up because I thought, as a massive X-Men fan, I had to read this but all I have to say is really don't just think of this as "The one the mutants lost their powers" because while that is important the story has so much more to offer and is more a powerful family drama than game-changing event. Truly, the emotion is increadible throughout with many of the heroes being emotionally sledgehammered as they try to cope with the consequences of Wanda's actions. My heart especially went out to poor Spiderman. Also, there is an interesting examination of what would happen if the human-mutant political power balance was reversed. I don't want to give too much away to destroy the surprise of the experience but really this is not only an essential read for mutant fans but also a supreme comic book experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling masterpiece., 13 Oct 2011
The House of M has gone down in Marvel history as a pivotal moment, and it deserves all the attention it gets. House of M is a brilliant graphic novel that I found impossible to put down when I first read it. This beautiful oversized hardcover is the perfect way to enjoy this captivating story again and again, and it looks fantastic on display on your bookshelf. From the opening scenes of Professor X greeting the X-Men at Avengers Tower, to the imortal words spoken by the Scarlet Witch at the end, this graphic novel stands up as one of the finest Marvel has produced.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, less action-orientated series, 28 Mar 2010
Amazon Customer (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
'House of M' takes off from the 'Avengers: Disassembled' series, so I'd recommend giving that a read beforehand or at least glancing over a summary. If you're looking for a lot of action then you might be slightly disappointed with this, as whilst it does have its fair share of fighting, it primarily focuses on how much the world has been messed up and how our heroes deal with that and are emotionally affected by it.

It's more suited towards the more experienced comic fan, as there are quite a few less-than-famous Marvel characters involved who I wasn't familiar with. The collection is drawn by the brilliant Olivier Coipel and as a result the art is fantastic. I'd certainly recommend this to anyone in the mood for a well-drawn, well-written major event set in the Marvel universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars House of M, 25 Jun 2014
Elvira Wynter (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
The story line for the House of M event is absolutely fantastic and I had always wanted to read it.

Managed to purchase the entire arc but this book will always be my favourite one out of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Brian Michael Bendis' best works and that's saying something!, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
I wanted a comic which was a perfect merger of the X-Men and the Avengers, arguably two of Marvel's most popular teams. House of M was the best option given the circumstance. Since I am only reading everything Avengers right now, this was a unique opportunity to learn more about the X-Men as well. I loved how Wolverine, who has been my favorite character since my childhood, was the protagonist and how he deals with the task at hand. It also had loads of scenes with Magneto and his family i.e Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and even Polaris. A parallel universe and a staple of Marvel's best characters made this a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, cool, dark story., 1 Jun 2013
This review is from: House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
I have read disassembled before this and the story is the follow up to that, another great story here, great art work, pace, and plot. A must have read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid read, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) (Paperback)
A great graphic novel and a solid read. I wouldn't recommend it to people who aren't familiar with a lot of the back story in marvel during the time it was released but still, I loved the story and thought it was great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb)
House Of M TPB (Graphic Novel Pb) by Brian Michael Bendis (Paperback - 17 May 2006)
12.91