on 1 October 2003
If you have not yet realised the power that CSS can bring to designing sites, where have you been? And if you need to know how and why in a balanced description of technology and good design principles, buy this book first.
I have been a fan of Molly Holzschlag's books on Web design since her 1998 text "Web by Design" precisely because she keeps the how and why of Web design in balance throughout her writing, with the end of a good usable site always in view, and because she writes with clarity and interest. There are many useful books on CSS, varying from basic technical definitions, through "what you could do with CSS" to "learn by example" in outlook. Molly Holzschlag in "CSS - the Designer's Edge" manages all three in a logical, clear, and interest-holding sequence. I am a programmer by background rather than a designer, so the language of CSS is no problem, but I need to see how to design better. This book makes me want to get straight out and use CSS to improve design in all the sites I ever built! I am a fan of Eric Meyer's books on CSS too, but if you want one book to put the whole topic in clear, powerful, and usable overall perspective, Molly Holzschlag leads the field for me.
on 25 January 2004
This book takes you by the hand and leads you through the steps you need to create web pages styled by CSS2. The first 3 chapters are the best description of the structure and syntax of CSS I have read. And the book continues in easyily digested stages.
There is rather too much repitition for my liking, but for someone trying to learn CSS this is OK. I also noticed a few typos.
Molly discusses many the bells and whistles of CSS2, only to point out that some of the more esoteric, albeit useful, ones are not supported by most modern browsers, and some not by any.
However, overall once you have read and understood this book you will be well on the way to writing good, modern CSS-driven web pages.