5.0 out of 5 stars Moving from VB6 => VB.NET
Published on 29 Jan. 2004 by Mrs. Susie G. Schofield

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful
I've been programming with VB6 for the past three years and I wanted a concise introduction to VB.Net.
Published on 6 May 2004 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving from VB6 => VB.NET, 29 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Visual Basic.NET Complete (Paperback)
As an experienced VB6 user / tutor, I suddenly needed to get up and running very quickly in vb.net – one week to write an introductory course to postgraduate students. I’d heard scary stories about how totally different vb.net was, but this book turned out to be exactly what I needed. Not only does it contain clear explanation for the novice and plenty of example code, it contains sidebar boxes with detail on VB6 to VB.NET.
The book is divided into sections. Part I contains the essentials, ending with a well thought out project covering design, coding and exception handling. The user is shown how to transform the application into a web-delivered application, and distribution covered. Part II introduces the user to advanced features of VB.NET. I especially liked the clear break between part I and part II. Part III moves onto ASP.NET and working with Web Services, Part IV an introduction to databases, Part V XML and VB.NET, and part VI building a real-world application. Each chapter starts with a ‘where we’ve come from’ and finishes with a ‘what’s next’ paragraph, and the whole book seems well written. I think this book is extremely good value for money for those who already have access to the software (it does not come with disks) and recommend it to anyone moving from 6 => .NET. I have recommended it to my students who have no vb experience, and await with interest to hear how they get on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 2 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Visual Basic.NET Complete (Paperback)
I used the book to move up from VB6 to VB.net and found it most useful. It is well written and easy to follow. Early on in the book, the author repeats things a couple of times, with different wording which I often found good as a way to reinforce what I was learning, however, sometimes a bit tedious. A bit later on in the book, the information is sometimes just thrown at you with no examples or repeats.
Surely, with the easy concepts being at the start an the harder ones to follow, this should have been the other way around.
When it comes to the ADO section, the author assumes that the reader is an ADO in VB6 expert and makes little concession for the new ADO user, believe it or not, there are people who write VB software who never touch databases!
Barely touches on ASP, certainly not enough to be of any use, but was OK as a "by they way, there's this thing called ASP", which is all I wanted anyway.
Overall, a good read, very useful, gave me a good grounding in what I needed, though there is room for improvement.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful, 6 May 2004
This review is from: Visual Basic.NET Complete (Paperback)
This book is nearly 1000 pages - so is certainly not concise, and seems to be aimed at the complete beginner to programming. I felt that the chapters were overly long, explaining step by step how to add controls to windows forms and change individual properties with numerous screenshots, and failed to go into too much detail on any particular subject. Each chapter seems to have been written by a different author (apparently just extracts from other Sybex books), and so some subjects were needlessly covered more than once.
I found that all I really learned from the book I'd picked up merely by skimming through the first 100 pages. By the time I decided to create my first VB.Net utility, I would have liked to have used the book as reference material. Once you have the basics of VB.Net sorted, you really need a good reference book to familiarise yourself with the .Net Framework. But this book contians no such reference chapters.
This book may suit newcomers to programming, and is a fairly cheap purchase, but if you're an experienced VB6 programmer wanting to take the next step, you really need a more serious book with plenty of reference material.

Visual Basic.NET Complete
Visual Basic.NET Complete by Chris Treadaway (Paperback - 24 April 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01