4.0 out of 5 stars A concise reference for all levels
Published on 4 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the beginner!
Published on 24 July 2001 by Steven B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the beginner!, 24 July 2001
This review is from: Perl, CGI and JavaScript Complete (Paperback)
Okay, so I decided to learn Perl the hard way - I taught myself... Bought a few books, one of which was this one. I found it a bit confusing, unorganised, and genrally difficult to understand. The reference pages at the back are quite useful, though they could be a little more thorough, but the examples tend to throw you in head first, and make sure you don't get up for a while.
I went for the 1000 pages...Not good! You tend to work through all the code, expect to understand everything, then ten pages on, it might explain it. Briefly.
I'd recomend the 'Sams Teach yourself...' range if you are to take the same route as I have. Then maybe invest in this a little later.

4.0 out of 5 stars A concise reference for all levels, 4 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Perl, CGI and JavaScript Complete (Paperback)
I bought this book to primarily develop my personal website. Having already some experience with JavaScript I found this book surprisingly useful on that part, making me able to add things I didn't think I could. More recently I have added more complicated parts to my website involving Perl and CGI, enabling me to put a voting system on my site. This book is not the be-all and end-all of books on the three related topics, but as references go, it's name isn't far from the truth. Virtually complete.

4.0 out of 5 stars 90% brilliant!, 21 Jun 2001
This review is from: Perl, CGI and JavaScript Complete (Paperback)
I am a beginner to the javascript and CGI and learning perl looked the very thin! I decided to buy this book and the mistake was not made. I have an understanding on javascript and still reading the cgi. Looking a perl doesn't look hard as I am in the middle of the 1,000 page book, which is a shame it ends so soon!! I would recomend this book but I find that some of the projects in the book don't want to work which needs a little work but I wouldn't put this book down From Webmaster Yodds

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, fair coverage, reasonably pitched, 17 Sep 2000
This review is from: Perl, CGI and JavaScript Complete (Paperback)
As a person who is not exactly a programming virgin, but not exactly a programming afficionado, I found this book mostly helpful and understandable (although more than occasionally a little thin). It covers the ground the title suggests, although to get a serious handle on any one of the areas covered you're going to need another book or two. I was happy with my purchase, but then you can't go wrong for a shade over a tenner can you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value packed with goodies!, 16 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Perl, CGI and JavaScript Complete (Paperback)
This book is just right for experienced developers who haven't developed on the WEB before. All the sections are easy to follow with some good examples. To buy several books that discuss all three subjects (Javascript, CGI & Perl) would cost a small fortune. This is excellent value!

Perl, CGI and JavaScript Complete
Perl, CGI and JavaScript Complete by Sybex Inc. (Paperback - 2 Aug 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01