5.0 out of 5 stars The easy way into Neuroscience
Published on 28 July 2006 by Jan W. H. Schnupp

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail for the medical student
Although often cited as the main text for neuroscience there is no where near enough detail in this textbook to warrant it for undergraduate teaching. Throughout the book there are interesting stories about the medicine there but sadly this does not make up for the striking lack of depth.

One example of this is its detail regarding the cerebellum: in a couple...
Published on 18 Jan 2010 by Matt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The easy way into Neuroscience, 28 July 2006
Jan W. H. Schnupp (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
As a Neuroscience teacher I have seen a lot of Neuro textbooks, and this is the one that I recommend most highly to undergraduate students who are new to the Neurosciences. It is written in a very approachable style, covers enough important material to prepare students well for a 1st year prelim exam, but, unlike some other textbooks I could name, it does not swamp or confuse the novice with too much detail. Final year undergraduates or graduate students in the Neurosciences will probably want something more comprehensive, like Squire et al Fundamental Neuroscience, but as a first Neuroscience textbook this is among the best available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner? A great book nonetheless., 24 Oct 2008
Richard Griffiths "SoulFireMage" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
I suspect most reviewers here are far more academic than I as my education finished at GCSE :). However I've maintained a layman's interest in popular psychology and brain stuff for years.

I picked this up on an impulse to really learn in more depth about how the brain really works. Bearing in mind my education level, I've found it clear and readable. I did pick it out after reading other reviews and I have to say I agree with them. Well worth picking up if you are either an amatuer like me, interested in understanding in much greater depth. I cannot comment on the detail needed by medical students however LOL. It looks pretty comprehensive to me!
******

Since this review I've acquired many more books and a little more knowledge. I find I use this book in conjunction with Foundations of Biopsychology which is not as comprehensive as this one. The other book allows one to grasp an area in general with some technical details, then this one allows you to dig further into the finer points-specifics of anatomy, chemistry and function. Between the two I'm confident that a solid ground in preperation for a degree in neuroscience is acheivable. Having not done a degree I can't comment on how far this would carry you *through* said degree-I would imagine it's at least a very solid start.

From my own viewpoint, I've acquired two other books that are sat on my nightly study pile that I find interesting and useful at this early stage of my personal learning. One is Netter's Concise Neuroanatomy (Netter Basic Science) which allows me a vastly more indepth anatomical reference at any one chapter of the neuroscience book and also The Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, which I'm halfway through at time of writing. This latter book is fascinating and trying to follow it pushes me to refer back to the neuroscience book to get to grips with the various channels and receptors mention. A review of this book will turn up soon once I've completed it.

Note the comments above only arise at time of writing from a layman who's yet to take some A levels to qualify for the degree in question here. So from my perspective, you can get a comprehensive foundation in the theory from these books if you like to teach yourself. My listmania lists all the books I'm using for this :).

******
Weeks role on and I acquire more materials, and read more. My view of this book has only gotten better however. I've got more complex books on specific areas, atlases and other stuff on had. I've also got a couple of texts that equate to AS/A level on the subject matter as well. I would say that this is firmly in the core text for a degree level and very nicely presented overall. One of these easiest books with depth that I have here. The section on the senses illustrates this with a pretty thorough working over of the sense organ involved, the structure/physiology and then the neuronal involvement, like the detail about visual pathways, down to the cortical columns that process lines, angles, contrasts etc.

Whilst I can't compare it to Kandel's Principles of Neural Science or Larry Squire's Fundementals book, I can say that for it's purpose you won't regret investing in it. Add the pricing which is very cheap for this level of work, I think you have a winner.

*****
22nd December 2010 - 16 months of a new job, gained partly from a discussion on Dementia, given whilst very drunk, the material of which came from both this book and Dr Doug Richards of Birmingham University who's textbook for his course Good Brain/Bad Brain is also highly recommended. The new job itself, required me to learn a variety of things (the care sector and it's needs and some programming/css and bit). This meant my neuro study had to slow right down.

However, this is still the first book I would give to any newcomer who needs that mixture of basics and the science that goes with it, without being overwhelmed by Netter level detailed neuroanatomy. Check my listmania, I have these and other very detailed type books-and I love some of them. They're not the ones I'd begin with-this still is.

From what I've seen since I started, this doesn't carry you 3 years of neuro. It carries you very handily through the first year. It took me 8 weeks to read through it properly when I first got it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neuroscience: Exploring the brain, 16 July 2007
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
This is an excellent textbook in order to cover the generalities of neuroscience upto a second year BSc level. If you are looking for in depth topic within neuroscience I would suggest Principles of Neural Science by Kandel et al. However what this textbook lacks in detail, is more than ably compensated in its clarity and if the reader is interested, papers are suggested which, allows the reader to delve deeper into the mysteries of neuroscience.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail for the medical student, 18 Jan 2010
Matt (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)

One example of this is its detail regarding the cerebellum: in a couple of paragraphs it is finished without going into any of the circuitry or pathways necessary to understand it.

It is a useful textbook if you want an overall picture of the brain in very little depth, somewhere between a popular science book and a neuroscience textbook. For the medical students out here I would suggest holding off buying a textbook until the new Kandel and Schwartz is out. For now I would recommend using Kandel's Principles of Neural Science 2000 edition, but be warned it is out of date and you will need to supplement many areas, such as auditory pathways, with Purves or another neuroscience text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Sep 2006
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
Absolutely brilliant. Starts every chapter with the basic science if you're not familiar, then goes into a reasonable amount of detail. Great pictures, which really aid understanding, and good analogies to back up more complex ideas. Recommended for Biomed/Neuroscience/Medical/Biology students in 1st year !

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book in most respects but lacking in some places, 13 May 2009
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
Probably fantastic for medicine students or neuroscience students with lots of neuranatomy and clinical neuroscience. Very well laid out, pretty faultless in terms of how its written with very useful and easy to follow diagrams as well as a CD with a few good animations on action potentials and some stuff on neuroanatomy (but not a lot else). Comes with a free online service where you can send them coursework and get feedback...sounds pretty impressive, haven't tried it myself though just in case its rubbish! Seriously colourful...which is nice.

Would have definitely been 5 stars had it not been for a distinct lack of any detail with regard to receptors, transporters, glial cells, and a few other points which unfortunately made buying this book pretty useless for the module I bought it for. I'm sure it'd be great for others though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for understanding concepts, 13 Feb 2009
S. Kumar "Medical Student" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
This book is great for explaining concepts and integrating the stuff you learn with the real world (it has little boxes now and then, with an article written by a leading neuroscientist / molecular biologist etc, which i found really nice), It's also good at teaching the neuroanatomy involved, but with a lack of real pictures (as in all the neuroanatomy diagrams and hand drawn, nothing wrong with that, but i'm used to going down to the dissection room to learn anatomy). I would definitely recommend this book, especially becasue of the added extras that it comes with, the CD is really useful in helping to test yourself and the online help is also amazing, my only but would be that i find Crossman and Neary's textbook a lot better in explaining the ascending and descending pathways and think that their images and diagrams are better. =P

5.0 out of 5 stars Great edition, no prerequisites!, 9 July 2009
A. S. argyropoulou (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
The book has many color illustrations, references and resources for further reading, online tutoring and access to videos, and most importantly there are no prerequisites: -from the preface of the book- "..so the elements of biology, chemistry, and physics required for understanding neuroscience are covered as the reading progresses" and so can be read even if you are not a student, just interested in learning about the brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy for Beginners to Grasp, 10 Dec 2012
A. Haylock "Blunty Fan" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a complete beginner (at uni I studied Music, and the only slightly-related A-Level I took was Psychology). I've been reading through and making notes and so far everything has been easy to understand, and on top of that very interesting. It's very well laid out.

I'm sure for experts it gives only a very broad view of the subject (there is also the danger of information becoming outdated), but for a beginner it's excellent. It seems to be aimed at first year undergrads, which is exactly the level I was aiming for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A textbook that explains clearly and keeps you interested, 24 Mar 2008
Ms. N. Devadoss (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) (Hardcover)
This is an amazing textbook which I used for both my neuroscience and mind modules for my medicine course. It starts so simply that you can follow it with just an A-level knowledge of biology as even things like action potentials are explained to you. It then goes much deeper over a broad variety of topics but continues explaining things clearly and simply.

There are clear coloured diagrams, each labelled well and linked to the text. There are boxes with essentail vocab and self review sections at the end of each chapter so you can check on your own progress before continuing. There's many real life scenarios embedded in special interet boxes which keep you engaged and bring the subject matter back into the real world so you don't get lost in the intricacies of it all. There are different coloured pages in the middle with the anatomy plates in. They're easy to find as the pages are edged in purple so it's simple to flick back and refer to them if needed.

All in all it got me through my last term beautifully and I can see it being useful for people in many numbers of fields. It has now been stolen by my mother for reference and she's doing a psychology Master's degree!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**)
Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain (**) by Michael A. Paradiso (Hardcover - 1 Feb 2006)