Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 September 2010
I bought this book as I have a slow cooker which I love. However most recipes are for meat and I struggle to find vegatarian versions. I'm not a vegetarian, but like to feed my family at least one veggie meal a week. This book has some interesting recipes, but the downside is that they are American, so the ingredients are not all readily available in the UK and the cooker sizes are all in Imperial quarts not Metric meausurements. The other disadvantage is that so many of the recipes have instruction such as, 'cover the food closely with greaseproof paper so that the edges of the earthenware crock are covered' and 'put in a dish and cover closely with foil and tie with string'. (not actual quotes)
I don't know about other people, but I avoid this sort of instruction in cooking as I feel it is wasteful using foil and greaseproof in so many everyday dishes, and it is also extremely fiddly and time consuming. Have you tried taking a reasonalbe sized dish out of the slow cooker when its hot? I have and ended up burning myself, and as the only way to get it out was to tip it sideways, some of the food spilled out of the end of the oval dish back into the cooker. Maybe I'm not very dextrous with it but it seemed another reason that would put me off using the recipes.
So sadly this book will not be as useful as I anticipated, and it was expensive compared to others I looked at. I may sell it on or let it gather dust on the shelf.
on 23 May 2010
A varied range of recipes and so far those tried have worked out. It's not all about just throwing everything into a crock-pot, switching on and coming home to a lovely smell of cooked food though. A fair few of the recipes require you do some cooking beforehand. That said, it's still a good buy - particularly when there are so few slow cooker recipes for vegetarians :)