4.0 out of 5 stars Best In The Series So Far
Published on 27 Mar. 2011 by Kirsty

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Suggestion!!
A friend suggested this series for me. She knows I like romance and paranormal books, this series had both. This series was slow in some places but overall enjoyable.

Published 13 months ago by oldman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Best In The Series So Far, 27 Mar. 2011
Kirsty "book fan" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having read the first two books I was starting to lose interest in the series, (believing it to be a poor copy of Kelley Armstrong's Bitten series) However, after this third book I will continue with the remaining sequels, as it has finally made a good impression. This book isn't just about how no stray can resist Faythe, she actually shows an unselfish and softer side that shows she may actually be maturing.

This book differs in several ways from the rest. The plot is mainly set in one isolated area of the Rocky Mountains, and focuses on the trial Faythe has to endure due to her previous "crimes" in the first two books. The outcome of the trial may even result in her death. Although many people didn't like this aspect of the book, I felt that it gave the author an indepth chance to explain the political manoeuvring and power struggles of the Werecat council. It also shows the VERY old fashioned views about tabbies that many of the elder cats hold - I found that these views went a long way to explain the back story of why Faythe fought so hard for her freedom in the previous books. As in their eyes, her only use is that of a mindless, docile, breeding machine.

Throughout the second half of the book, the action picks up dramatically and we are introduced to a very interesting new character. This person has even more more problems than Faythe... yet they may also be able to help her with the outcome of her trial in an unexpected way. This character will also change the mythology of the Werecats, with a much needed revelation that shocks even the council members.

I actually really enjoyed this book, and is the first one in the series that I would call a "page turner". The new character has added a much needed revival for the future books that should be very interesting. Not to mention the huge new issue in Faythe and Marc's relationship...

4.0 out of 5 stars Brill! Want to read it over again!, 14 Dec. 2010
First off, I have to say, the friend that recommended this series to me was right in saying it gets better with every book; I couldn't put this one down.

Faythe Sanders has been brought before the council charged with infecting her human ex-boyfriend and then killing him to cover up the initial crime, the first of which, is punishable by death.

During her trial however, Faythe gets the opportunity to prove she is worth more than her uterus when a group of strays are reported on the mountainside. Faythe soon realises that the strays are in search of a wild tabbycat and when said tabbycat is dropped off right at their door, Faythe desperately tries to prove she is capable of handling both the tabbycat, the strays and the underhandedness of one of the Alphas.

Faythe continues to improve as a character. She is forced to give up what she loves most and in doing so has to make plenty of sacrifices.

I especially love how every book is a complete continuation of the last; I felt like I hadn't stopped reading Rogue as Pride started right where Rogue left off.

Moments in this book left me with tears in my eyes. I could sympathise completely with most characters in this book it was written so well.

Over all I thought it was a brilliant read that left me eager for the next book in the series Prey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Suggestion!!, 3 Feb. 2014

This series is about werecat shape shifters and their pride. Most Prides have toms but not many tabbies. Each Pride is lucky to have a tabby. The tabby is the Prides most treasured prizes. Tabbies are found to be attractive and fertile by members of the Pride and the Strays.

Strays are werecats that don't belong to a pride or whose who are human born.

Each Pride has enforcers. Enforcers can travel on 2 feet in human form or on 4 feet in werecat form.

Faythe is the only tabby in her Pride apart from her mother. She is wanted by many toms but her heart only wants one. She has many brothers and cousins but she will be Alpha one day if her father wants her to be.

Each book continues on from the last one.

I would recommend this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, *SPOILER ALERT* if you havn't read the first two books yet!, 6 Feb. 2009
Elizabeth (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride (Shifters) (Mass Market Paperback)
The third editon to the Werecat series that started with STRAY and ROGUE, PRIDE follows Faythe Sanders as she stands trial for infecting her ex-boyfriend Andrew, thus turning him into a werecat, and then killing him. Although the first incident was an accident, a result of her ability to partial-shift, and the second was in self defence, Faythe is in trouble because the council seem to think she infected Andrew on purpose and then killed him to cover up the crime.
Guilty until proven innocent, Faythe faces the death penalty unless she can convince them of her ability to partial-shift. And as she can't do it on command, she soon starts running out of time...
At the same time as her trial is being held in some woods in the free teritory, there is some trouble from local strays that needs to be dealt with too. This adds the action to the book, as the trial side of it is mainly held within the cabin complex where they are all staying.

Unlike the previous two books, Faythe's inability to keep her mouth closed and her hot-headed opinions to her self really grated on my nerves. I don't know if that's because she is worse in this book or what, but whatever the reason is one thing is clear: she really needs to get a filter between her head and her mouth! Otherwise she will continue to dig herself deeper and deeper into trouble every time she opens it. Don't get me wrong, there were many times I found myself starting to burn with anger and frustration at the council and their closed-mindedness, but Faythe seems to have an inability to learn from her mistakes.
I know Vincent only uses this character trait to prolong the tension of the trial and to create new problems, but it was still very annoying, and therefore anyone else who found her irritating in the previous books (as I didn't), may find her near unbearable in this one!

Her love life leaves a lot to be desired as well, which is also frustrating because you get the feeling that if her and Marc just sat down and talked, like the adults they are meant to be, they wouldn't be having problems in the first place.

However, that being said, the action in the book is good and there's plenty of gory moments to keep you entertained where the romance side of the book doesn't. I'd like to say the Faythe has grown up by the end of the novel, but part of me just thinks that in the next book of the series, PREY, the reader will just find that she has reverted to her usual hot-headed self. Not that I object, I just hope she is somewhat less annoying than she has been in this book...

1.STRAY
2.ROGUE
3.PRIDE
4.PREY (coming July 2009)

3.0 out of 5 stars sort of a let down, 17 Sept. 2010
this one was sort of a let down. I kept getting really annoyed because even though the world building is great, the drama is never ending. I know a good book needs a plot, but this book has A LOT of plot. I'm not a big fan of books were the "heroes" never get to relax and be happy for a little while. It was like the entire world is against her. And don't get me wrong, that was awesome in the two first books, but in this one I just kept getting annoyed. And for some reason that's the reason I give it three stars. It takes a good book to make me annoyed.

That doesn't exactly make sense, but I still want to know what's going to happen between Faythe and Marc so I'll defintely keep reading this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars addicting series of books, 11 Jan. 2013
i only started reading rachel vincent from the recommendation from a friend and after the soul screamer series i found the shifter series. I think they are a brilliant series and i cant put them down
When i finish one book i cant wait to get the next. I find that because the stories are set within a few days, there is alot of room for great decription and alot of action.
Im not about to start on shift (book 5) and cannot wait! !

5.0 out of 5 stars Faythe Saunders series, 31 Aug. 2010
Mrs. M. Beach-morris (Jersey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
I have now read all 5 paperbacks in this series and I am really looking forward to number 6! Unlike some series longer than a trilogy I find that the subject matter does not get stale or boring, but consistently holds my interest, it is rare to find books on any genre that keep entertaining, and this is great entertainment, I was quite sad when I closed no. 5 - well done Rachel Vincent!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pride, 17 July 2010
Pride is book 3 of the werecats series by Rachel Vincent, and having read all but the last of the books now, I have to say that this is probably the poorest.

Faythe is standing trial for the turning and killing of her ex-boyfriend Andrew, the turning of which was accidental, and the killing that was self-defense. Unfortunately for Faythe, she is looking at the death penalty for her crimes, and there's politics coming into it too, with one of the other Alpha's out to make Faythe's father look bad so that he can take his place as head of the council, not to mention the fact that the council doesn't like it that Faythe isn't having babies yet.

On top of that, there are some local strays running around who seem to be killing people and generally making a nuisance of themselves, and so the werecats step in to try and fix this situation too, Faythe as usual refusing to keep her mouth shut, or to do anything that might actual show her in a more favourable light, and instead going directly against orders (anybody would think she was asking to be killed - she's on trial for goodness sake!).

The whole book takes place in a resort in the Rocky mountains where Faythes trial is being held, and feels quite isolated in comparison to the other books, and Faythe is also hampered by the fact that she is not allowed to shift and run free as she would like. A lot of the trial stuff is all politics and repetative questioning, and its just boring compared to the other stories, and Faythe doesn't really endear herself to the reader this time either.

Overall, it's an okay read, and well worth reading if you're reading the books as a series, but I wouldn't recommend starting with this one, it is definately the one that lets the rest down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride, 4 Nov. 2010
Love the series so far. If you love Kelley Armstrong, then you will love this series. Faythe is just a huge character - I cant put these books down. Pride is emotional in a way you would never think. I cannot wait to read the next book....

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride, 5 Feb. 2013
I love the series of the were cats I loved this book and the characters Marc and faythe. Rachel Vincent is one of my favourite Arthur's l love this series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pride (Shifters)
Pride (Shifters) by Rachel Vincent (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Feb. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01