4.0 out of 5 stars Kommandant's Girl
Published on 26 Feb 2007 by Harley Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, pity about the prose style
This book was based on an excellent idea and I liked the setting - while dealing with a widely covered period of history the story comes from a lesser-known aspect of the Holocaust, namely, the resistance in Poland.

Published on 24 July 2008 by Josephina

2.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, pity about the prose style, 24 July 2008

The protagonist is, however, difficult to believe in as at times difficult decisions and actions of considerable weight are reduced to simplicity. Furthermore, her emotional responses to the situation she is in are badly expressed and the author's style is extremely repetitive - count, for example, the number of times the phrase "My stomach twists" is used and it becomes clear that the author does not have the command of a particularly wide vocabulary.

While I agree with other reviewers that the story is interesting at could be at times, emotional, I do not feel the writing does justice to the subject matter as it is difficult to sympathise with such a wooden character.

The two stars I have given are for the ideas alone, not their communication.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kommandant's Girl, 26 Feb 2007
I found Kommandant's Girl a highly emotive, very thought provoking story. It was different to anything I had read before. Whilst reading the book, I felt both anger and sadness, and at times was reduced to tears at the plight of Marta, made even more poignant by the fact that such treatment of people and persecution actually went on. I have never seen a book by this author in shops before - and if this is Pam Jenoff's first book then I think she has a wonderful future in writing. I would certainly by another book by her should I come across one.

3.0 out of 5 stars good read but misleading at times, 21 July 2007
H. A. Bedford - See all my reviews
As the daughter of a Polish Catholic holocaust survivor, and always interested in the war in Poland, I did enjoy this book. However, there are continuous barbs at the Christian Poles who did not help the Jews, which upset me. The fact is that there were many, many Christians who assisted others suffering, at tremendous and immediate risk to themselves and their families. Try reading The Forgotten Holocaust by Dr Richard Lukas if you want a true picture of all the facts, without the Hollywood gloss added. There were heroes and traitors on ALL sides, and I do get fed up explaining to people that it wasn't ONLY Jews who died or suffered in the war. But, it is good for people to read this book to get a feel of the doom-ridden atmosphere during that terrible time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet, 18 May 2009
I have to say, it was the picture on the front that caught my eye. I picked it up, I read the back and took it to the desk to buy it (as I do with many books and I am yet to be disapointed by a book I have bought using this system). I have only read this book once but I think of the story quite often. I have gave it to my friend to read and I am yet to get it back, she loves it so much. It's the only story I have read to make me cry. By far my favourite book of all time - not just because of the story, but for the "what if?" factor. It gives you the ending, but allows you to imagine beyond it. A book that can do that deserves the title of a great book, I think it is a definate classic and I encourage everyone to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lest You Forget, 1 Feb 2007
I found the Kommandant's Girl a very easy to read book, even the subject matter is not easy to forget, and nor should it be forgotten..It offers an insight into how the Jew were treated by the Nazi's and also how the resistance came into it's own at times..Yes there is a romantic tale to this book but the ending is not predictable...Sometimes one feels that there is some softening around the edges to add the romance in it, but also it really does manage to show how the Poles and mainly the Jews coped living in Poland when the Nazi's invaded their lives...I do not hesitate in asking people to read this, but do hope that the Jewish communities are not made to feel as if this book trivialises everything they went through during the war with the romantic element added, I myself do not believe this book does that, as the romantic element certainly as it's twist at the end...

2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of an entertaining read, but nothing more, 13 Feb 2012
MaPe (St. Paul, Minnesota USA) - See all my reviews
I decided to give this book a try based on the many an enthusiastic review here - but what a disappointment! It was presented as a compelling and thought-provoking piece of fiction, whereas in reality it is closer to a trash romance novel (I'm not sure if "sex-free" qualifies as "trash", but it's close enough). The characters are cardboard, unconvincing and Americanized, the plot developments are unbelievable, the book is sprinkled with anachronisms and - I cannot believe I'm making this observation - actually seems to be poorly edited - it seems like the author couldn't decide whether to write it in the present or past tense, so there are leftovers all over from having changed her mind as she went along. I have a feeling this was written for a teenage (or younger) audience with the intention of familiarizing them with the WWII. Still, I cannot shake the impression that this might have been a great book if it had been handled with more skill, which is probably why I described it in the title as an "entertaining read" - but only if you're looking for something to read on the beach. If you're hoping for a memorable historical novel, steer clear of this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kommandants Girl. Pam Jenoff., 18 July 2007
Ruth Settle "Tufters" (Bolton, England) - See all my reviews
This book was loaned to me by a friend, you could tell by the spine that it had been read many times and I soon realised why! This book is one of the best stories I have read for ages, I could not put it down. Jenoff brings the characters to life, you so desperately want them to survive and triumph. I found myself reading faster just to get to the next bit! I was sorry when I had finished the story. Unfortunately my friend wants the book back so I have just ordered 2 copies, 1 for a christmas present and one just to share with other friends. I am a 32 yr old female but think the book would be widely enjoyed by this age range both male and female and perhaps those older and younger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kommandant's Girl, 11 Dec 2008
I cannot praise this book enough, if i could, i'd give it 1000 stars!
It is one of my most favourite books along with its sequel 'The Diplomats Wife'.
The characters are amazing, the main character Emma just draws you in, you feel every bit of her emotion and turmoil, and as the story progresses, you cant help but also grow to like the one character that is the bad guy at certain points in the book! It throws you into turmoil over what you're feeling for the characters.
You see how both sides are real people with real emotions, its not just the goodies and the badies typical scenario, they are all torn between the sides, and what they're meant to do and feel.
It offers an amazingly detailed picture into the war, and is a great historical novel as well as romance and then there's the intrigue and the sadness, a rollercoaster ride! I did actually cry at parts, it was that moving.
Beautifully written, I read this in two days, I literally could not put this down, I was shouting out loud as I read along, sat on the edge of my seat, I was so dissapointed when the book ended, I loved it that much and just wanted it to go on forever, but thankfully, the story goes on in the next book, which is equally as good!
BUY THIS BOOK, its so wonderful! I'll certainly treasure my copy, and its one I'll read over and over. I'm so glad i stumbled across this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 23 July 2007
I literally couldn't put this book down! I just couldn't get enough of it and then cursed myself when I finished it too quickly and had to move on to a book not of the same standard to fill my idle days.

Pam Jenoff's "Kommandant's Girl" is possibly the best book I've ever read. Scrap that -- it IS the best book I've ever read. I could associate to the place names having recently visited Krakow and all it's historical sites. I could really home in on the protagonist and loved the storyline, even though the ending made me cry!! The ending was the only thing I didn't like -- it was great quality and really upsetting, but I would've taken things another way.

All the same: a first class book. Must be bought and must be read!!

All I can hope now is that they make it into a film!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 26 Feb 2007
This is a remarkable debut from a strong new voice. Pam Jenoff writes so evocatively I felt as if I was in the City of Kings.

Powerful and moving, I found this book compulsive reading.

The Kommandant's Girl
The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff (Paperback - Mar 2007)
Used & New from: £0.14