on 4 September 2007
Susannahs garden and old boyfriends are the same book. Just to let you know before you buy them both (like i did):(
11 comment53 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2006
When she was eighteen, Susannah Nelson was sent abroad to school. In what she saw as her fathers attempt in dictating her life it effectively separated her from her boyfriend Jake, and she never got to see her brother Doug again who was killed that summer in an automobile accident. After a few short letters, Susanna never heard from or saw Jake and though it hurt at the time, she later met, married a fine man, and raised a family.
Now her children are just about grown, she’s hitting midlife, and Susannah’s marriage seemed stale as her thoughts continually seemed to focus on what ‘could have been’ if her father hadn’t interfered in her life and romance with Jake. With her father recently passed on, she had been summoned home sooner than she’d planned when alerted by neighbors and friends that her widowed mother was having difficulties dealing with her loss and living alone. Back in the house and town she’d grown up in Susanna would have to deal with her mother’s increasing aging problems, and make some tough decisions regarding her care. Additionally, she would she face the past, discovering new insights into her troubled relationship with her dad, and dealing with a similar issue concerning her rebellious nineteen year old daughter.
With girlhood memories resurfacing along with long lost friends, Susannah discovered secrets that revealed not only an unselfish act of love, caring, and protection, but a surprising revelation of a mysterious presence once thought to be a figment of her mothers failing mind.
*** What a wonderful read! Macomber writes with heartbreaking realism when dealing with the decisions and choices made in friends and family relationships. She offers beautifully written prose that packs a mountain of emotion into every chapter. Through laughter and through tears, she nails relationships with astounding realism and understanding in this well-paced and heartwarming story, once again solidifying Macomber as a leader in fine woman’s literature.
0Comment36 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2011
I love the style in which Debbie Macomber writes. I always feel as if I live on the street about which the story is based, and the characters are so believable. If you haven't yet tried one of her novels, I would strongly recommed you did.
on 5 December 2014
This may be the best of Debbie' s books yet..Still it's difficult to make that absolute pronouncement as she continually surprises me with her clever, ingenuous plot twists and turns I never see coming.
Susannah' s Garden is practically a thriller, in the best way. No gore, no guts, nothing grizzly but a literal page turner with suspense mounting until you can't bear to know what happens,next and why.
Susannah' s Garden is a lush and verdant landscape, revealing that often it takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears of anguished souls to produce such beauty and serenity.
on 16 May 2014
I was not sure how this book fitted into the Blossom Street series but it all comes clear at the end. Debbie Macomber uses her usual style of really entering into a families thoughts, hopes and fears and there is even the mystery as to who is leaving flowers on a grave and who manages to enter the house even with a new alarm fitted to puzzle over. I really enjoyed this book and have already got some more from this author lined up for reading.
on 10 August 2013
I found this avery intriging story which held my interest until the end. I did have a sneaking idea who Dav was.
I really enmjoy Debbie's writing and would recommend this book to friends.
on 26 September 2013
Loved it I have the whole series and have enjoyed every one, they all sort of interlink in some way and the characters pop up in one way or another in many of the books
on 2 March 2013
I really liked this story with the middle generation (Susannah) having to deal not only with the frail mother but also the rather spoiled daughter, we all know that our children think that we don’t know what it’s like to be young, I liked the way that she knew she had to persuade her mother into the care she really needed and how difficult that is , also how she realised that her father like most fathers only do what they think is right for their children, and the twist at the end, which I have to say I did see coming, it was all together a good read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2013
excellent author. easy reading. going for more in series love it love it love it love it . is that enough extra words
on 22 August 2013
Because it brought back memories of my first love. I can't wait to read the follow on to this book.