4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the bad reviews!
Firstly let me say I felt driven to write this review in response to 'the most boring in the series so far'. While much of what that reviewer writes could be considered to be true, I think it was an unduly harsh rating that will have deterred too many people from buying a perfectly decent book in the Virgin River series.

I have to be honest and confess I...
Published on 7 Mar 2010 by tigersfan

1.0 out of 5 stars The most boring in the series so far
Rick is wounded in Iraq and pushes Liz, Jack and all the others who care about him away. Walt and Muriel yet again bore me to tears. Abby and Cameron proceed with their relationship, but after their exciting beginning in a previous book, leave me disappointed. There are irrelevant tangents that should have been edited out.

This book really drags in a lot of...
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by Reviewer Aus

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the bad reviews!, 7 Mar 2010
tigersfan (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews

I have to be honest and confess I listen to the Virgin River series on audiobook, rather than reading them, maybe that makes a difference, as I have found Therese Plummer to be an excellent narrator who injects a good amount of dramatisation into things.

This book is slightly different to the first four or five in the series in that instead of concentrating on one primary couple with other peripheral storylines, this concentrates on 4 couples, although I agree, you would not know this from reading the precis on the back of the book.

1) Rick and Liz - Rick is injured and returns home in a bad way, rejecting people he loves. I don't agree with the previous reviewer that Mel didn't care, she definitely did, but I don't really understand why there were no scenes where Mel and Rick interacted. However, I am not sure what these could have covered other than yet more scenes where Rick offended someone he was previously close to in an effort to distance himself.

2) Cameron and Abby - they met in the previous book but other than one night did not get together. The story of their relationship is told in this book. To start with Abby was very frustrating (I hate concealed pregnancy storylines), but I thought their story was quite sweet for the most part, although it did seem to end suddenly as soon as she gave birth (the story , not the relationship!), maybe the next book will contain anecdotes about how they cope in that cabin with newborn twins.

3) Walt and Muriel - I didn't see this as at all boring although it was a little predictable, but mostly I saw it as a refreshing change that not every couple that falls in love is aged between 25-40.

4) Dan and Cheryl - this was a strange one. I didn't understand why this was squeezed into this book. The two characters were interesting enough to have merited a book of their own. I can only assume that the need for Dan to be around in order to have his big showdown with Rick (although I think we could all see the surprise revelation coming for at least half a book)tempted the author to shoehorn in their story. Maybe just introducing Dan this time round, and then having him develop a relationship with Cheryl in a later book would have been better.

I think it is unfair to criticise the author for her opinions regarding marriage, childbirth etc. This is a series of books centred around a small mountain town with limited access to medical facilities. One of the main characters in the series is the midwife. It is not set in a large city, or a particularly cosmopolitan community and it would be unrealistic to think everyone there would have 'modern' sensibilities and expectations about relationships and childbirth (this change of pace was one of the main themes in the first book).

Having said all of those things, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I listened to it avidly on my i-pod during my commute and sneaked quick listens during my working day as I was caught up in the story of Ricks recovery etc. It definitely was different from previous books in the series, and if I'm honest I prefer the ones which have concentrated on fewer story lines (hence 4 stars and not 5). If you have enjoyed the other books in the series then you will no doubt enjoy this one. If you are still unsure about reading it, check out the reviews on amazon.com. The US site has many more reviews, and can therefore offer a much more balanced opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars books, 27 Nov 2011
very good reading,have other books by same author will but more, pleased with the service that I get from amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites so far in the series, 14 Feb 2014
Rachel (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think this may be one of my favourite books in the series. Rick and Liz's story was so touching. I know some people have said that they aren't a big fan of their storyline, but I have a soft spot for people who fall in love young, mainly because I met my husband when I was 18 and married him when I was 20. Rick and Liz have been through a lot in this series, and it gives them a maturity that might seem unrealistic in other circumstances, but I've loved watching them grow.

It was really tough to read about Rick's recovery from his injuries (physically, mentally and psychologically) in Iraq, but I was glad that Robyn Carr didn't sugar-coat. I will admit, I do roll my eyes when yet another military man shows up in this small town, but Carr doesn't glamourise these men's military experiences. Rick's experience doesn't result in hero-worshipping, but a realistic portrayal of just how tough it is to be a marine. The letter that Rick writes Jack about the horrible experience of seeing the face of the man he shot really sums up how much this book humanises the horrors or war, for both sides.

I was glad to see Abby and Cam finally work things out, and I actually wasn't quite as annoyed by Abby as other readers seem to have been. It did seem like their storyline was cut short, and another review reminded me that we don't even get to learn the names of their twins! I hope we get more about them in the next book. Muriel and Walt's story was continued, although not terribly eventful. I'm not sure if there's much more to develop there, unless they decide to get married.

I appreciated finally getting some more insight into Dan's story, since he's been popping up all over the place in this series. I wasn't sure what to make of him and Cheryl to begin with, but in the end I was happy with how that worked out. Even people who have screwed up parts of their lives have the chance to work towards a happy ending.

I don't think I have any major complaints about this book. There must be something in the water in this town because everybody keeps having mind-blowing, awesome sex, even if they're old or pregnant or whatever. This book felt like it had more sex scenes than usual, but maybe it's just been a while since I read the last one. I did feel a little self-conscious listening to my audiobook at the bus stop when one of Muriel and Walt's scenes started though! Otherwise, I really did love this book. 4.5*

And as always, Therese Plummer is an amazing narrator. Highly recommended! I was so pleased when I moved to Edinburgh and discovered that the library system had nearly the entire series as audiobooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise valley, 1 Dec 2013
New characters good story still keeping in touch with old friends. Very enjoyable looking forward to the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyalty, 13 Nov 2013
PR Weaver "pete" (Tewkesbury.ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I like the books that is why I have read this many. However; They are are formulaeic like many bestseller authors' works, and ultimately you try something else and possibly come back to them later. Nice books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great chapter of life in virgin river., 10 Oct 2013
Loved this book! A busy time in this slice of life in virgin river. A more in depth look at everyone,s life. The ups &downs but as usual everything soon comes together the way we hope it always does. Some might say predictable but we wouldn't have it any other way. We root for our favourites and feel for each new characters. Look forward to reading what will happen next in a little town I've come to love.

5.0 out of 5 stars robyn carr, 27 Aug 2013
i am on book 10 , very good books , when you start reading you dont want to put it down ,

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise valley, 2 Aug 2013
What a story Robyn does not let you down superb story line you feel that you know all the characters

5.0 out of 5 stars Virgin River novels, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Paradise Valley (Virgin River Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
I love all Robyn Carr Virgin River novels. They are very down to earth, relaxing books and getting the storyline of all the difference families is really nice. It just makes you feel it would be a very nice place to live. There are one or two of this series I have not been able to locate but will keep trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Nov 2014
Loved the wholeseries

Paradise Valley (Virgin River Novels)
Paradise Valley (Virgin River Novels) by Robyn Carr (Mass Market Paperback - 26 Oct 2010)