1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars In Close (Bulletproof 3), 2 Dec 2011
BookBliss (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: In Close (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the third and final book in the bulletproof trilogy and was definitely my favourite (although admittedly I haven't read the first one). Unlike In Seconds this one could be read as a stand alone novel as although Claire was mentioned in the earlier book she wasn't a central character so the background of the earlier books weren't really needed. There was also an element of disappointment to this, which would probably have increased if I had read the first novel, in that the main characters from the first two novels aren't featured in this book at all, really these could have been a stand alone novel entirely.

As the book was told from Claire's point of view as a reader you spent the story asking the same questions as she did; had her mother run away or was she murdered; was she having an affair and was this why she disappeared; if she was murdered who did it - with so many secrets being kept everyone is a suspect. Novak does a good job of feeding you clues throughout the novel while also keeping you guessing as to what actually happened and who was responsible.

The relationship between Claire and Isaac did frustrate me for quite a bit of the book, I just wanted to grab them both and shake them and tell them to grow up, life is so much easier when you're honest with each other, I know it doesn't make for much sexual tension in a book but are adults really like that? Maybe some are, I just couldn't be bothered to play those games!

It's difficult to actually say much more about In Close without giving away any of the storyline as everybody and each event within the novel is related. What amazes me is that Brenda Novak is such a huge name in the States but isn't really known in the UK, I don't understand why, I think that readers in the UK are really missing out.

ARRAY(0xafa855bc)

In Close
In Close by Brenda Novak (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Oct 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01