Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 12 July 2007
The very best romance I have read in a long, long time.

And the reason is. Peter Madsen. Just thinking his name sends warm shivers running up my spine.

The persona of Peter completely pervades this novel. When the story isn't being told from his pov he still dominates totally the thoughts of the heroine. I can't blame her. Peter is divine. Mainly because, despite his self-assurance, the mission crumbles around him and the reader gets a real feeling of doomed love. Although what he sees in the blonde, cultured, successful Genevieve Spencer (who at 30 years of age could only be described as 'young' by a truely ancient person) is anyone's guess.

Cold As Ice is somewhat similar to Diamond Bay by Linda Howard although it's morals are much more dubious.

Gross scenes; absolutely none.

Best scenes; when Genevieve thinks she's in 'some third-world bog' and it turns out she's in a millionaire's hideaway in California; when the ugly orphans backchat van Dorn.

But best of all; some lovely, lovely prose; mainly focused on a man who is in the process of falling deeply in love and he doesn't understand the why's or the wherefore's of it all.

Plus; strictly speaking, only two consumation scenes...all the rest is foreplay.

Basically. This is the story of a captive who gets her captor to fall in love with her. And then she in turn falls in love with him for no other reason than that he makes her happy. (Something that she hasn't been for a long time.) So, lots of emotional risk taking...just my kind of story. He in turn rescues her when he doesn't have to. And she shows her gratitude by accidentally geting him shot and almost killed...twice. Poor Peter. It was a total pleasure to read how Genevieve inexorably reels him in despite all his tough talk.

I had absolutely no trouble believing in their HEA.

on 16 December 2009
I decided to try this author on the rave reviews left by Deborah MacGillivray on practically every book written by Anne Stuart! All I can say believe the hype. This book is great. The story is centred around the premise of an anti-hero being the hero (if you see what I mean!) & who doesnt like the bad boy who we find does have a heart & conscience after all. I like the way Anne Stuart manages to express so much emotion in so few words. I am definitely going to read Anne Stuart's back catlogue now. Thanks for the reccomendation Deborah.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Warning up front for people who haven't read and admired the brilliance of author Anne Stuart before - her books are strong. She asks you to dance on the razor's edge, plays the Pied Piper and commands you to dance into the fire. She pushes the reader to go where most writers won't ask. I always wanted to write heroes like Stuart, but I get too intrigued with the complexities of males, adore them, and love what makes them tick, how they react differently to given situations than we do. I fear only Stuart can conjure and breath life into a Stuart Bad Boy. I also fear some writers write men as we'd like them to be, not as they are. Stuart gives us pure gamma rogue males. These males are beyond laws, beyond morals, often beyond kindness. They are Dark, Dangerous and Deadly. What your mama warned you to stay away from. They are heartbreakers. They are Stuart's Bad Boys. She gives you men that are not heroes by most standards, yet with the power of a sorceress, she compels you to love them. We are a poor moth to her males' flames. So if you cannot take your males raw and unvarnished, then you might want to give Stuart a pass, because you will come away mesmerized, shaken. Stuart holds up the mirror and forces the reader to look deep into oneself, and that rattles some. She is a brilliant talent few writers ever achieve. At home equally in Historicals or Contemporary Romances, Stuart has taken use into the fire, now wants us to be cold as ice. The Resident Genius of Romance strikes bull's-eye again in this edgy tale.

Genevieve Spenser is tired. A nice get away for Costa Rica lies ahead. Only there is one more thing she must do before she can kick back - get papers signed by Harry Van Dorn. He is a wealthy client of her firm, so she knows there is no getting around running this chore for them. She is quickly on route to his yacht, and hopes to pick up the papers, then be on her way to sun, beach and cabana boys fetching her funny drinks with paper hats.

Only, Harry Van Dorn isn't just a wealthy businessman; he's a merchant of chaos, and its Peter Jensen's job to stop him from executing plans he's set in motion that could devastate the world. Genevieve's arrival is untimely for his plans, so he wants her gone. When he cannot get rid of her, he accepts he will have to kill (a theme Stuart made us face and accept in the brilliant Moonrise). Peter is a killer, an assassin. Again, Stuart delights in giving us "heroes" who are not heroes by any fashion we know. He is a gamma rogue, a male who lives by his own rules, that can kill, cheat, lie and steal to do what must be done. However, Peter is finding dealing with Genevieve troublesome, to say the least.

Genevieve is a strong heroine, so much fun, and Peter is one of Stuart's Bad Boys that evokes the heroine - and the reader - to walk on the razor's edge. Stuart delivers, yet again, one strong read that dazzles from start to finish.
on 6 January 2015
Did not think this was as good as the 'hype'. At times it was very repetitive and I found myself skipping through it, not as good as the first book in the 'Ice' series.
on 6 May 2015
Not as good as I hoped. Seemed quite repetitive....I felt I was reading the same paragraphs several times.
on 9 October 2014
Good read for romance lovers, great tension, good characters.