5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning tale.
A historical setting, with a delicate attention to detail, Deanna Raybourn has captured a time, a place and a voice that combines into a thoroughly convincing piece of writing. There is wit, mystery and an engaging charm that makes this a most memorable read.

Silent in the Grave is refreshing, featuring a strong convincing leading lady, spirited and outspoken,...
Published on 25 Jan. 2008 by Caroline_s

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable
So my town library has thirteen copies of this book, it manages to lurk about in the upper reaches of my Amazon recommendations for months and comparisons to my beloved Laurie R King are bandied about wantonly. Maybe it's time to read the thing.
I don't think this quite lived up to the hype but it was still a more than enjoyable read. I must say I had the most fun...
Published on 1 Aug. 2011 by Michael Finn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 Sept. 2010
StarPlayer (B'ham England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
This was a really good read. Great lines, really witty and engaging. Excellent well thought out plot. Unlikely villain that wasn't obvious.

Unfortunately the next two books are not good. Read this one, skip the next (the won't miss anything with regards to the relationship between Lady Jane and Brisbane). Read the last one - Silent on the Moor. But only for the HEA, which is finally gotten to in the last chapter of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were well written, with nice little glimpses at "back story" on them. I learnt a lot of new words from the book that I'd never heard of, presumably because they've fallen out of use. I was so enthralled that I have now bought the other two books in the series. Take a break from modern life and submerge yourself in some Victoriana!

5.0 out of 5 stars so so good, 10 April 2008
Ms. C. N. Sweeney "book wrrm" (manchester england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
I brought this book on holiday with me to Rome and to sayit overshadowed the splenders of the Forum is not a lie. It was great - i totally loved it and went out and bought the second one Silent in the sanctuary too. ( also fab) If you like a good mystery and maybe have read James Anderson - you will love this i promise you. Can't wait for the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great easy read, 17 Nov. 2013
I read these books in reverse so already the storyline. But I loved them anyway! If u need and engaging read that is not too heavy this is a book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, 26 Aug. 2012
Excellent opening chapter!! Great start to a new series, you can feel the sparks fly between Julia and Brisbane. Loved her dysfunctional family too. Great mystery, I figured it out midway through, but still enjoyed seeing how they got there. Good dialogue, good flow. Looking forward to the next one. Try it if you like Lady Emily, or the Sherlock/Mary Russell series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one small niggly point..., 23 April 2008
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
I have been shamefully lax is reading this review copy that was kindly sent to me by Mira Books at the end of last year, but I'm pleased to say that it was very much worth the wait.

Silent in the Grave is the first in the Lady Julia Grey series of whodunnit novels set in Victorian London. No one here needs reminding that "Victorian" and "London" are two words guarenteed to make me rub my hands in booky glee, and this novel was no exception. The story starts with the immortal lines:

"To say that I met Nichola Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."

And that really sets the tone for the whole shebang. Lady Julia Grey - feisty, independent, though still with a touch of endearing vulnerability - finds evidence that her husband's death was quite probably not natural, and with the help of the brooding, mysterious, and decidedly Heathcliff-esque Nicholas Brisbane sets about trying to unravel the mystery.

Now, I'm going to be straight with you here. This isn't a literary masterpiece, and I doubt it'll be troubling the Nobel Prize for Literature jury, but that is not to say that this isn't a great book. It really is just bloody great fun; a page-turner in the great tradition of page-turners. The word "rollicking" could have been conjured up expressly for this book. It's obvious too that Deanna Raybourn, the American author of this novel, absolutely delights in all things London-esque: she plainly had as much fun writing Silent in the Grave as I did reading it. Joy just drips from the page, which is a difficult feat in a murder mystery.

Just, er, one small point, and the Victorian Studies geek in me really apologises for bringing this up, but it was the only thing that annoyed me about the book: the word "gotten". No one says that over here. We just don't use that word in Britain, and certainly not in 1886. So, Ms Raybourn, if you happen upon my blog, please, delete "gotten". It stuck out like a sore thumb in an otherwise delightful book. Thanks. :)

There isn't much more I can say about this novel. It's got a brilliantly worked out plot, it elicited a couple of audible gasps from me towards the end as the demise of Edward was revealed in all its glory, and it'll hold your attention right to the end. It's great fun. And now I'm off to find volume two in the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Feeble and a cloth ear for English, 2 Nov. 2008
M. Etherton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
This is full of solecisms and historical inaccuracies: an English earl's daughter insisting on being called "My lady" rather than "Lady Julia", saying "gotten" instead of "got", "dove" instead of "dived", "check" for "cheque", "Curzon" for "Curzon Street" and, my favourite, "Oedipal" in 1886, when Freud didn't use the term until 1910 and the first use in English in the OED is 1932.

And the plot is pretty feeble, the characters implausible and the villain obvious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Jan. 2015
Where it all begins - thwarted romance. mystery, intrigue ..... and a very interesting family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent in the Grave, 13 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
Really really excellent book! Kind of reminded me a bit of Victoria Clayton in the way she wrote. Good plot, well written, excellent characters. Highly recommended. Shall be purchasing the others in the series forthwith!

3.0 out of 5 stars I Was Expecting a Lot More!, 11 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
While throwing a dinner party for a few guests, Lady Julia Grey sees her husband collapse at her feet. Though still a young man, no one is particularly shocked to see him die a couple of hours later, due to a chronic family infirmity that had always plagued him. Trouble begins when she receives a surprise visit from Sir Nicholas Brisbane, who was apparently working for her deceased husband as an investigator, trying to discover who was sending him death threats. Lady Julia cannot believe that someone had anything against her husband, London's society sweetheart could not have been murdered, as Sir Nicholas suggests. But one day while finally cleaning out her husband's study she's horrified to find, hidden within his desk, one of the mentioned death threats. So Lady Julia concludes that maybe Sir Nicholas wasn't entirely wrong, maybe there was indeed someone who wanted to murder Sir Edward Grey. Who could it be? And why?

This book grabbed me right from the first sentence, "To say I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.". What a magnificent way to start a mystery book, I thought, but the problem was the rest of the story didn't live up to that very first sentence. Lady Julia comes from a liberal family, her mother died when she was a young girl and her father believes in giving women their independence. While her sister's are all interesting and distinct characters, especially Portia, one of the best secondary characters I've met in a while, a woman who has the courage to expose to the world that she is gay and lives with another woman. Lady Julia, our heroine comes out as plain, uninteresting, too innocent almost to the extreme of stupidity, while the author tries to tell us she's an independent and intelligent young woman, no one as intelligent as she was described would let herself be drugged on purpose or ask her butler's permission to search her own house.

If Lady Julia left me indifferent, Sir Nicholas was quite the opposite, I took an immediate dislike to his character, he seemed cold and arrogant, and while those characteristics can be attractive on certain heroes, this wasn't the case. To me, the author tried too hard to make him mysterious, to give him that dark aura that is sometimes seductive, at times I thought I was looking at a cheap copy of Sherlock Holmes, he even plays the violin for Pete's sake. Oh and that "secret" thing was a tiny bit overboard, not very realistic and completely out of place.

The mystery was mildly interesting, though it takes second place to Lady Julia's life, thoughts, doubts, problems, maybe if she did something instead of just roaming around playing dress up, we could have a better story. Even the resolution was anticlimactic, I was expecting a family secret, someone wanting the family's money and murdering everyone for it, I don't know, something that made it worthwhile reading 600 pages for, I'm sorry to say that was a poor excuse for a villain.

I've heard the second book is a lot better and I'll probably give it a try, but I sure hope it has a lot more scenes with Portia and the crow or I'll be very disappointed! :-P

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Silent in the Grave (A Lady Julia Grey Mystery)
Silent in the Grave (A Lady Julia Grey Mystery) by Deanna Raybourn (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01