5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning tale.
A historical setting, with a delicate attention to detail, Deanna Raybourn has captured a time, a place and a voice that combines into a thoroughly convincing piece of writing. There is wit, mystery and an engaging charm that makes this a most memorable read.

Silent in the Grave is refreshing, featuring a strong convincing leading lady, spirited and outspoken,...
Published on 25 Jan. 2008 by Caroline_s

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable
So my town library has thirteen copies of this book, it manages to lurk about in the upper reaches of my Amazon recommendations for months and comparisons to my beloved Laurie R King are bandied about wantonly. Maybe it's time to read the thing.
I don't think this quite lived up to the hype but it was still a more than enjoyable read. I must say I had the most fun...
Published on 1 Aug. 2011 by Michael Finn

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable fluff, 10 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
Murder, mystery, secrets, an inventive weapon and a touch of romance with a character you can't fail to fall in love with yourself. What more can you ask? A superfast read, in no way taxing but perfect for those moments when you fancy the literary equivalent of popcorn. Sadly the American spellings remain and the word "normalcy" uttered by a Victorian Lady jars. I really enjoyed this, however, and went on to read the next two in the series in equally quick time. I was sad when they were over. Would be a great series to read during the Christmas holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a Judy Come Lately - Can't Believe What I've Been Missing..., 25 Jan. 2015
I believe this book was one of the first books I downloaded when I purchased my first Kindle a few years back. Can't believe I've never bothered to read it. When a reviewer I follow posted yet another review about Lady Julia Grey, I decided it was high time I began reading the series. I'm now a Fan! Big time Fan!

In this first book, there's a bit of foundation to set up, so the book may appear a bit slow to those new to the series. The first mystery to be solved is "Who Might Have Murdered Lady Julia's husband, Edward?" Actually, she never considered there might actually be foul play until a certain intriguing character, Nicholas Brisbane, who was present when Edward died, calls upon her and lets her know Edward had engaged his services because he thought someone was attempting to do him in. Julia pooh poohs Brisbane's suggestion that there may have been foul play and offends him in the process.

One year later, Julia finds a note in Edward's desk and decides she must call upon Brisbane, who by now wants nothing to do with the "cold" case. Julia persists and manages to re-engage Brisbane's interest. Brisbane is one of the most intriguing Main Guys I've ever had the fun of encountering within the pages of a historical romance. He's definitely got something more going on that meets the eye. Handsome, mixed blood with a bit of sexy darkness thrown in. His origins are revealed before the end of the book. He's also got a strange illness that he can't seem to overcome - he's currently trying to get through the attacks by using Absinthe - deadly though it is. Plus, there's the mention by Magda, the gypsy gal that works for Julia who has brought up a woman's name that has something to do with Brisbane's past.

So, not only must the murder of Edward be cleared up, there's also enough mystery about Brisbane, his origins, the "Moriah" reference - lots going on here. It's obvious from the beginning Brisbane and Julia will soon be a couple - not only in joint mystery solving, but perhaps in a relationship also. The attraction is there - the fun is in the slow buildup as their lives become further intertwined. I'm in over my head. I'm currently reading Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey series Book 2). I obviously need to get a library card so my bank account won't get blown out of the water.

This mystery contains some dark themes, including some that I strongly dislike reading about. No explicit sexual details thus far, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great Read, 6 May 2010
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
The opening of this book is with the death of Julia Greys husband. He literally drops to the ground dying. Nicolas Brisbane is the person who helps bring him to his bedroom shown there by Julia. The doctor is summoned along with Julia's father. Julia is dismissed and later she is told her husband is dead.

At first Julia is shocked that her childhood friend who she married is dead. Bus as of late, he was not the man Julia fell in love with. Now Julia must go into mourning for her husband.

As the days progress Brisbane pays a visit to Julia and informs her that her late husband has enabled his assistant in finding someone who was blackmailing him. Julia is shocked and not impressed and assumed that Brisbane only wants money from her, which she has no intention of giving him. She insults Brisbane and he walks out on her.

A year has passed since the mourning of her husband and Julia finds the blackmail notes that were sent to her husband. She decides to visit Brisbane and get his help to find out who was blackmailing her dead husband. But Brisbane informs her it is to long passed now and they have no chance of catching the blackmailer. This does not deter Julia; she will do it alone if he cannot help her. Brisbane does not approve and tells her he will assist with the investigation.

So the two of them are now a team. There seem to be some chemistry on Julia's side regarding Brisbane as she is fascinated with him and what he does. Along the way Julia adopts a raven, she finds out a secret about her younger brother, she loses her maid who is a gypsy, she gets closer to her father, she reawakens and finds the real Julia and also she has an adventure with Brisbane which is sure to continue for a long time to come...

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding beginning to a truly wonderful series, 4 Sept. 2009
M. K. Burton - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
Lady Julia Grey and her husband Edward are giving a dinner party when he is suddenly struck with convulsions. One of the guests, Nicholas Brisbane, immediately rushes to help, but Edward dies later that night. Julia is unsure what to think or feel, especially when Nicholas comes to her door claiming that Edward feared for his life and that he may have been murdered. Julia has heard the coroner's reports and dismisses Nicholas immediately. One year later, however, she finds an incriminating piece of evidence suggesting that Brisbane was actually telling the truth. The trail has gone cold, but she enlists his help to determine whether her husband was murdered and if so, who did it.

I loved this book, from the first word to the last, and usually that only happens with my favorite authors. I picked it up and simply did not want to put it down, ever again. I think it's the way that Raybourn writes, very elegantly, carefully, but with a little twist of humor, exactly how I'd envision a Victorian lady thinking. Or perhaps it just suits me. Whatever the combination, I was immediately swept into the book and Julia came to feel like a close friend.

I'm not a huge fan of mysteries, but I definitely felt that this one was well within my comfort range. I always understood what was happening and why characters reached certain conclusions, but I could never have guessed the ending. In fact, it's very cleverly done so that the culprit's name isn't said in the scene and I actually thought it was the wrong guy! I was ready to throw the book across the room until I realized who it was, and then I realized that Deanna Raybourn deserves serious accolades for making it so tricky yet so obvious once you "get it", because then it all makes perfect sense. I guess I could just be slow (and indeed I am according to Amazon reviews), but I was genuinely surprised. I enjoyed all the little side plots and the quirky characters, even the sleazy ones, because they really created an atmosphere for the whole story.

In conclusion, fantastic book. I adored it. I want to read it again. It's so much fun and so enthralling and it has an edge of cleverness which makes it all come together really well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Murder, mystery and mayhem....., 13 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
I've never read anything by this author before, and I have to say, I was more than pleasantly surprised.

The story begins following the death of Lady Julia Grey's husband - which is soon revealed to be the result of nefarious deeds. Together with Nicholas Brisbane, a private investigator, Lady Julia turns amateur sleuth in an attempt to get to the bottom of her husband's untimely demise.

This book gallops along: There's murder; gypsies; grave-robbing and a hint of romance (just a hint, mind, to whet our appetites!). The characters are well drawn and engaging, and the book in general is very well crafted. A previous reviewer remarked that he'd guessed who the culprit was from the first, but I was still scratching my head even heading down the home straight - maybe I'm just a bit dim, but I prefer to think it has more to do with the fact that the story is well plotted!

The one gripe I do have about this book - and it is a very small one at that - is that I felt it could have been a little bit more evocative of the time: It's set in Victorian England, but I don't think the sights and sounds of nineteenth century London were as vivid as they could have been.

This book has been compared to others such as 'The Vesuvius Club' by Mark Gatiss, in terms of the 'feel' of it, but if you enjoy murder mysteries - especially those of the 'cosy' variety - then this book will appeal; it's the perfect antidote to a rainy Sunday afternoon. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I've ordered the next two in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB...., 15 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
This book was exactly what I expected and much more. The first couple of sentences on the reverse had me giggling in a way that only Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice has done before. The rest of the book lives up to the introduction. After reading some books that disappoint after raising expectations, this is a delight. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful tale, 5 Aug. 2014
Jill Besterman (Jersey, Channel Islands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book was so much better than I expected - funny, full of incidents and with a heroine who is not in the common mode. Julia Grey, the most conventional member of an eccentric noble family, has her life turned upside down when her husband dies and she first makes the acquaintance of the rather mysterious Mr Brisbane. The change is gradual and therefore more believable and along the way we meet her weird relatives, some Romanies, members of the demi-monde and her servants, all of whom play a part in her emergence as the intelligent and capable woman she was destined to be. Set against the background of Victorian England when the aristocracy paid lip service to the widowed Queen's rules, I followed Julia's adventures with bated breath. I am now half-way through the second of Julia's stories and it is just a s good as the first - this series is a real find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right., 22 Nov. 2014
I have a few favourite authors who I read every word they write religiously and it will therefore come as no surprise that I read their latest work straight away, however I recently had a small dilemma in having nothing new to read for a week's holiday abroad. Having a good rummage around the kindle store I found Deanna Raybourn and found that once I'd read the opening line I was hooked. What I thought was just going to be a nice holiday read has now turned into a kindle must read reading list for the whole series of Lady Julia Grey and her antics with Mr Brisbane. I loved the characters, the plot the setting and the development of all these as they merge at the end. Looking forward to the next one now, downloaded ready for the plane trip back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! I bought this because I couldn't get ..., 23 Mar. 2015
Great read! I bought this because I couldn't get hold of the second book in another historical mystery series - it's a cracking story and good fun trying to solve the mystery - the author gives plenty of clues if you enjoy reading between the lines; Raybourn's writing style is absorbing and entertaining, mainly because of the cast of characters who are beautifully drawn; the "voice" of the heroine is waspish and witty, and Julia and Brisbane are made for each other - their barbed exchanges keep the sexual tension high, and you'll have to follow the series if you want to know if the relationship develops into anything more than a working partnership

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and witty, 27 Jun. 2009
Emily Louisa (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent in the Grave (Paperback)
I first borrowed this book from the local library about a year ago. The first line of the book sucked me in--always a good sign. I finished it within a day and moved onto book number two, Silent in the Sanctuary; and as I enjoyed it so much I decided to buy all three of Deanna Raybourns books online.
I have not been dissapointed.
I love the style and the era, and above all the witty narration.
The tension between Julia Grey and Nicholas Brisbane, and indeed the entire novel is described just so, leaving you satisfied but always wanting more.
I would recommend this book to those who like mystery, light romance and humour.

Silent in the Grave (A Lady Julia Grey Mystery)
Silent in the Grave (A Lady Julia Grey Mystery) by Deanna Raybourn (Paperback - 1 Jun. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01