5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Loved this book about two very different sisters and their relationship. Great story, couldn't put it down. Author constantly compared with Jodi Picoult but I found Diane Chamberlain to be much better. Would recommend this book and I will be trying some of her other books too.
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by HappyT

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well but was left disappointed
This book started off very well however the ending (which became quite obvious halfway through the book) was unrealistic and unfortunately ruined the book for me. I found the relationship between Adam and Rebecca hard to comprehend and found myself skipping parts of the book because of this.

All in all its written well and has a very good beginning and...
Published on 28 Feb 2011 by GemmyNI

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well but was left disappointed, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Kindle Edition)

All in all its written well and has a very good beginning and interesting storyline but it was just ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Dec 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Read, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Paperback)
I read this book in a few days, which is great going for me! Diane makes you really care about the characters and I found myself hoping that there would be a sequel to this story. Once I had finished this I went online to find a list of her books as I have sped through reading 5 of her latest...I recommend her books highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars what happened at the end!, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Kindle Edition)
i enjoyed the book, as i do with all Diane Chamberlain books but if i hadn't purchased this book via kindle i would have thought someone had torn out the last couple of pages. i felt that i wanted to know more of what happened to Maya, Adam and Simmee. It just didn't seem to finish well.

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, 8 April 2012
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Paperback)
This is the first of Diane Chamberlain books i have "attempted" to read.Unfortunately i gave up reading this book at page 108. I found it boring.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately did not deliver, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Kindle Edition)
I have found Diane Chamberlain books both believable and enchanting, unfortunately The Lies We told just did not seem to deliver. I found myself on numerous occasions having to put this book down as I simply lost interest in the characters and story. Overall a very disappointing book with an ending that made me throw the book across the room and sigh!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Treacherous Sisters!, 4 Jun 2011
SylvieCelyn "Sylvie" (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book right up to the ending. It upset me so much. Oh the treachery of Rebecca! As for Adam, I found him nauseating from the outset, with his smarmy sucking up to waitresses, yuck! Don't marry him Maya! His emotions are so shallow, with the way he flits from wife to wife for what they can give him, rather than for the person they are themselves.The only truly likeable character is Maya. I won't give away the ending, but it made me so mad. But by all means read it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Paperback)
This is my first Diane Chamberlain book. I was attracted to the blurb on the book that said If You Love Jodi Picoult, you will love Diane Chamberlain. I am a huge Jodi fan and I really don't think you should compare the two. Jodi pours a lot of research into her books and from what I've read. research didn't really figure in this book so I am surprised by the comparison.

The book started out really well and I thought to myself, brilliant! What a great find. But as I progressed into the middle, I was skim reading just to get it over with (I hate not finishing a book!). It got really tiresome in the middle and I found myself really bewildered at Adam and Rebecca's relationship. The ending totally spoilt it for me as I don't think Rebecca's actions match how she looked after her sister all her life. It didn't add up for me. On the plus side, I enjoyed Diane's style of writing and found the book (the interesting parts anyway) easy to follow. The characters were good as was the plot but I just feel it could have been so much more.

I will try another of Diane's books but if that falls flat, I just going to stick with Jodi!

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, but didn't love it........, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Lies We Told (Paperback)
Diane Chamberlain is so very often compared to Jodi Picoult. I love Jodi's books, and i love Diane's too. Both are authors whose books i always have on pre-order, and i would always recommend them to people.

It comes as a surprise to me then, that i'm only giving this one 4 stars instead of the usual 5. I felt it didn't live up to Diane's usual work, don't get me wrong, it was a good book, just not great. Especially compared to some of her previous work.

In The Lies We Told, we are introduced to sisters Maya and Rebecca. Orphaned by the brutal murder of their parents, older sister Rebecca cares for Maya, and is very protective. Once Maya is married to Adam, Rebecca donates alot of her time to DIDA, a charity donating medical care to casualties in areas of natural disaster. Rebecca manages to enlist Adam on 2 weeks of care assistance, aswell as Maya. It's during this time that Maya goes missing, and we find Adam and Rebecca thrown together in grief.

The main body of the story was gripping, and it took me a day and a half to complete the book, but my disappointment came at the ending. I felt it was slightly rushed.

Don't get me wrong, this book is still a keeper for me, but not my favourite of Diane's. If you are new to her work, i'd recommend reading an earlier one first, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 25 July 2014
dit]
This was chosen as the book for May in our online book club- and I'm so glad I read it. I haven't read any Diane Chamberlain before- but what a treat. I can't wait to read all of the others now.

Maya and her sister Rebecca lose their parents in an awful crime when they are youngsters. Rebecca manages to take care of her 14 year old sister. They never discuss the crime that happened- although they both have reasons to blame themselves for the series of events. Maya is married and longing for a baby. Rebecca works for an aid agency and jets out to disaster scenes regularly.

Maya is convinced to join her sister and her husband at the latest tragedy- and events unfurl. Past secrets come to light.

I just loved the way this story evolved- and Diane Chamberlain has joined my fave author lis

The Lies We Told
The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain (Paperback - 18 Feb 2011)