Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2010
Intertwined is the first in Gena's YA series. Aden is a guy who has no one. He's been shuffled between mental institutions, foster homes and juvie his whole life. Because he has 4 human souls living inside him and speaking to them means speaking out loud. Apparently to himself. So everyone thinks he's crazy, but Aden knows he's not. The four souls have names and abilities: Eve (yes he has a female in his head too) can time travel, taking them back to a earlier stage in Aden's life. Julian can raise the dead, he can't control it, he just does. Caleb can possess another human, taking them over and controlling them though there is a price to pay for it. And Elijah gets visions of the future, usually when someone is going to die.

Except lately, Elijah has been seeing a girl. A beautiful brunette who Aden gets involved with, but with her comes his death. But for the first time, Aden is meeting someone who doesn't think he's crazy, doesn't want to shove him in an institution, someone who makes him feel normal. And he can't turn away from that.

First saw this book a while ago in the back of another Harlequin Teen book, but while I thought it sounded interesting, I had so many other books to read I decided to wait for the paperback. I kind of which I hadn't. The book starts a little slow, and more than a little strange, with Aden walking on to a cemetery, by mistake, and suddenly having to destroy all the zombies Julian has raised. While busy fighting them, Aden suddenly sees a girl. A brunette who somehow negates his, or his souls', power and the zombies go back to being corpses. Unsure if she's the girl from his vision he follows her and talks to her, discovering that she's not, but convinced he needs to be around her anyway. The girl is Mary Ann and while not Aden's love interest, she gets a fair bit of page time as well.

The book is actually told in third person, both from Aden and Mary Ann's POVs, though Aden gets the lions share. When Aden is around Mary Ann, the souls disappear and he can be 'normal' for the first time in his life. Elijah has a bad feeling that hanging around Mary Ann will end in trouble, but Aden's willing to deal with it on the chance of having a friend for the first time in his life. And before you start to think 'okay, so Mary isn't the love interest, then surely she's interested in him and it's a love triangle' let me assure you it's really not the case. Aden and Mary are just friends, and both have love interests in the forms of Victoria and Riley, who have known each other for years but are also strictly friends. The romantic aspect of the book is pretty strong, but it's tied in with all the mystery and intrigue with plenty of action to keep it from just being a YA paranormal romance.

The book did start out strange, a lot happening, a lot of confusing things linked together and a lot of things popping up from nowhere really making Aden's world a whole lot bigger. And at first I wasn't too keen on it kind of laughing going okay, what's going to get thrown in the mix next. But I stuck with it and ended up well and truly hooked. It picks up maybe a third of the way in and I loved it from then on. It's got some odd twists and some good surprises, although some things can bee seen coming a ways off, but most of it I really enjoyed. There are a couple over sappy/cheesy moments (both guys carrying the girls bags as they walk home from school for instance), but it's easy to get past them.

Aden is a lonely guy, despite having 4 souls in his head. He may love them a certain extent, and certainly get driven a little crazy by them too, but he longs to be normal, to have friends. People he can sit and chat with, hug, run with, kiss. He's never had that and he wants it badly, and now he's got the chance he'll put everything on the line for it, even his life. And you know what? I don't blame him. I liked Aden a lot, although it took a little while, and the more I got to know him the more I saw how he dealt with things, the more I understood his mindset and why he was willing to risk the things he does. And I really liked Mary Ann as well, probably more than Aden at times. In some ways she's a very mature teen, but in others she's got a lot of growing up to do. I loved seeing how she adjusted, learning about the paranormal world. She's strong, standing up for those she cares about even though they may be in a better position to take care of themselves. She doesn't run screaming (well, not much anyway) and she is dealt some huge personal blows along the way, yet still she fights. A lot to like about her.

It built up a good pace and I really enjoyed the ending. There's plenty still left hanging for the next book and I'm really looking forward to it! It did take a little time to hook me and grow on me, but in the end I was loving the characters, rooting for them and very curious to find out where everything was leading. I really want to know what the power draw Aden has is, and where it comes from. There is a lot left unanswered and I'm hoping we get some of the answers in the next book, Unraveled (out August 31st)!
I recently reviewed Unravelled (MIRA) and realised that i didnt write a review for this so i will give you a brief synopsis.

Aden is 16, he has been in and out of mental institutions and care homes his whole life and passed from foster home to foster home because everyone thinks he is crazy, and why ?

Aden has 4 souls living inside his head, they have been there since birth, he cant shut them up, he cant control them and this causes quite the problem as each soul has a different ability that they use whenever they see fit.

One predicts the future, another can time travel, another can raise the dead and the last one can posess other bodies.

For all Twilight fans, this book is not for you, the vampires dont sparkle, but the fairies do, the werewolves arent buffed up Cherokees, and its not constantly about a love triangle.

I may ruffle some feathers here, but i dare say its BETTER than Twilight, no question, the storyline's are better, there is no face grimacing at every turn, the vampires have long fangs and definitely dont eat deer, yuk, and there are also witches, zombies, goblins, and ghosts, and its not all namby pamby adolescent angst.

This book is 100% pure paranormal, its sexy without having any sex scenes in it whatsoever, there is lots of kissing though and whilst its not listed as young adult fiction, its pretty much perfect for both tweens and teenagers and older ladies like myself (38).

It was fast paced, very detailed and descriptive, the prowse was excellent, and the narrative flowed extremely well, i never once got to a point in the book where i though ok enough for now, i wanted to keep reading as there was always something going on and i loved it, i have already cast this movie in my head, and i think it would be a great film, or a tv show based on these books would also be very cool.

I cannot fault Gena as a writer, her imagination is extrodinary which is why she is one of my favourite writers.

If you have not discovered her writing yet then please buy this book, also make sure you buy Unravelled after, ive included the product link at the top of the page.

Grab a blanket, curl up on the sofa, and disappear into a world you will not want to come back out of...
on 2 August 2011
This was a very nice surprising book! I originally chose this book because of the cover, which I well known for doing. The cover is very different, and I am loving the font. Then I read the inside cover and was hooked into reading it. However, it turned out completely different than what I thought it was going to be. I was waiting for the two main characters to fall in love and the secondary character to be "bad" guys. Boy was I wrong!

Aden has been shuffled around his entire life. He can't blame people for thinking he is crazy (sometimes he thinks he is crazy) - he has souls trapped inside his body that constantly talk to him and ask him questions - to others he is talking to himself. However, Aden finds an unlikely home in his new group home and new friends. When Aden meets Mary Ann all his "powers" and abilities are quieted - he has found peace, at least he thinks. Without knowing anything about each other they are drawn together. Once Aden tells Mary Ann who he is really is she accepts him for who and 'what' he is. Then Victoria and Riley arrive to town, mixing everything up for Aden and Mary Ann.

As you can guess, Intertwined has many things going on all at once and many things that make it "paranormal": vampires, werewolves, witches, faeries, goblins, and even trapped souls. There are numerous plot lines that somehow work together, and are not at all confusing. Gena Showalter does an amazing job of intertwining many plot lines together, without confusing her readers. Aden and Mary Ann have their own plot line, while Aden and Victoria have their own, and of course there is Riley and Mary Ann, Riley and Victoria, and even Riley and Aden. And of course you can't forget the souls trapped inside Aden. These souls are hilarious! Each one has their own distinct personality; while at first it was a bit hard to keep track of the souls that quickly goes away.

The characters also are developed wonderfully. While there are romances in this series, they are not created too soon - each one is developed in real time and in real ways (as much as paranormal romances can be real). Everything about this novel is simple making it stand out even more. You'll fall in love with the characters, the plots, the excitement and Gena Showalter as an author. She has definitely been added to my favorites!
on 21 July 2011
I can sum up my feelings about Intertwined in two words: Hell + Yes.

I don't always like book covers where the model's face is only partially shown, but I think it was the right decision for Intertwined. It lends a feeling of mystery and it allows the model's body to dominate the image - radiating strength and purpose.

Intertwined is the first of Gena Showalter's books that I have read, so I can't compare it to her adult series. But I was very impressed with both her world-building and her writing style in this book. Showalter's writing is assured and controlled with virtually no "padding" - action that is not directly related to the plot in some way. I also love her style and sense of humour.

The world Showalter has created in Intertwined is an interesting one, especially for fans of the supernatural. There are vampires, shapeshifters, witches, fairies, goblins, demons and ghosts (oh my!) aplenty to keep you entertained. She has remained true to most of the lore that exists about these creatures, but she has put thought into how the different groups interact and that I enjoyed. I don't expect every author to come up with a new idea about demons or vampires, but I do expect them to have worked out how those beings relate to each other in the fictional world they have created. And that's what Showalter has done in Intertwined.

I don't often develop character crushes, but I may be developing one for Aden Stone. He's an interesting character with a rich and relevant history behind him. And while most of that history isn't happy I never felt sorry for Aden. I felt sympathy for him, yes. But I never pitied him. I loved this about Intertwined - Aden's past has helped to make him into the character he is, but it hasn't broken him. It's almost as if his refusal to feel sorry for himself is transferred to the reader. This is a testament to Showalter's characters and writing. You would think that having four separate souls taking up space in Aden's head would make for a disjointed and confusing narrative, but it doesn't. I loved the fact that right from the start each soul had its own distinct personality and that it was easy to differentiate between them. They are great characters in their own right.

Intertwined is my first Gena Showalter book, but it definitely won't be my last.
on 17 June 2011
In Intertwined, Gena Showalter introduces a cast of original and likeable characters, and a very original premise. Honestly, throughout the first 100 or so pages, those aspects of the story only just made up for the seemingly unnecessarily adolescent writing style used. Having read many of Showalter's adult books, I am used to, and enjoy, her humorous, colloqial tone. However there was something jarring about it in Intertwined, as though it was trying too hard to sound adolescent; it almost became a parody of what it was trying to depict, and I admit that I nearly put the book down multiple times. But I didn't! And I'm glad, because that original, intriguing premise morphed into something much bigger and better; a mystery. With Gena Showalter's books, I have come to expect that I will be able to predict what happens - which is all very well in her adult PNR, where a sure thing is kind of the point. But after reading Intertwined, I find myself wishing that her books had a mystery element more often, because - believe me - she does it well! Towards the end, we learn a little more about the souls that inhabit Aden's body, a little more about his ties to the world around him - the mystery unravels slightly, so to speak. BUT! there are still so many questions left at the end of the book that I could have quite easily read another 440 pages that sitting, if it would have meant I got some answers.

There are some aspects of the story that aren't so well developed; the characters (even the ones in Aden's head) are all likeable and have their own personality, but everyone seems very one-dimensional, making it difficult to get past the liking and actually relate to them. It would be nice to see more character-building in Unravelled. However, if there is one thing, as this book proves, that Gena Showalter does really, really well - it is spinning a good story. I would suggest that anyone reading it does not give up hope when all seems lost. In a world with so many great books coming out everyday, I know that it seems a crime to waste time on what seems like a lost cause, but I personally believe that, in this case, it was worth it.
Gold Star Award Winner!

Aden Stone is a sixteen-year-old boy with four souls living inside his body.

One can time travel, one can raise the dead, one can tell the future, and one can possess another human being.

He has spent most of his life in and out of institutions, never really making friends. He doesn't like having the souls sharing his body. A lot of problems have been caused due to Aden not being able to control the powers that the souls have.

Aden soon gets sent to a ranch for troubled boys, and his first week there he meets a girl, Mary Ann. Mary Ann is the exact opposite of Aden. She has friends and he spends most of his time alone. Being around Mary Ann quiets the voices.

They form a bond of friendship that neither really understands. She meets a werewolf shape-shifter and he meets a vampire princess. Two forbidden romances begin amidst the dangerous lives that the friends have found.

INTERTWINED contains beautifully written characters that keep you entranced from page one. I simply could not put this book down until the very end. Gena Showalter's characters are an engaging and exciting group that, when woven together, form a beautiful tapestry that adults and teens alike will enjoy.

If this is just the beginning of Harlequin's new teen line, then we the readers will definitely not be disappointed. We have much to look forward to!

Reviewed by: Breia "The Brain" Brickey
on 30 August 2014
Gena Showalter is one of my favourite authors and I was very keen to read this book. I was not disappointed. Aden was a very interesting character and this story was totally different to the other books I have read by this author but just as enjoyable.

I look forward to read the next book in this series.
on 2 October 2011
I started reading Gena Showalter's Lord's of the Underworld series, and expected this to feel/read the same way, it doesn't, almost feels like a different author.

It starts very slowly and takes some getting into, the characters are well defined and you get very involved in the story line. My problem with this book is it never really got going, and doesn't seem to have an ending, it feels like a long introduction/stage setting for the next books in the series.

Having said that I am looking forward to the next book as I want to see what happens, so it has grabbed my attention, but in a different way from her other books.

would I recommend it? as a one off read maybe not, as part of a series - yes.
on 8 February 2013
Gena brings up interesting new concepts while making good use of the classics. Her caracters welcome us into their world with humour and mysteries, leaving us wanting to know more with every page. Recommended for admirers of the supernatural.
on 24 October 2014
Such a good book I couldn't put it down