4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet ending to a fab series
I loved the series - each book was better than the last, so whilst I liked this book I didnt love it as much as the others i.e. Prey (Faythe Sanders - Book 4) (MIRA).

Published on 1 Oct 2010 by J. Mac

3.0 out of 5 stars Tragically average end to a great series.
Okay, I was a massive fan of the series all the way through. I find Vincent's writing to be really engaging and I thought the main story arc was brilliant. I loved the characters, especially Faythe. She may not be perfect (and yeah, at times she downright irritating) but she was lovable for precisely that reason.
I was, however, a little bit disappointed with this...
Published 12 months ago by Anon1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet ending to a fab series, 1 Oct 2010
J. Mac - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters) (Paperback)

The book is very much all about Faythe, her struggle to grow up and the whole choosing between Marc and Jace. I would have preferred slightly more about the secondary characters - mention of secondary characters felt rushed just to wrap things up. There were parts where I was getting a little sick of Faythe, it was just a little bit too much me me me.

The pace of the book was fast and action packed, it starts with a bang and ends with one, with some really emotional scenes in between.

The book obviously ends with Faythe's choice, who she chooses is pretty obvious to me in the last few chapters which is why I was dreading the end, hoping desperately that somehow she would choose the other guy instead of whats-his-face - which is probably why I didnt like this as much! I am a big Team *a** fan (like I'm gonna give away the ending!)

On the plus side, whilst everything has been wrapped up (the big bad slain, boyfriend chosen...) there seems to be a lot more to tell, please Ms Vincent, can we have another book - pretty please?!

4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read!, 9 Nov 2010
Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters) (Paperback)
Alpha is my first Rachel Vincent read and though it is the final book in the Shifters Series, the first I have read of it. While I'm not very fond of Urban Fantasy, even I will admit this is one bloody good read! I enjoyed this book a whole lot - action-packed, romantic and thrilling, Alpha is one very engaging read.

The book is really built as part of a series. It begins right in the middle of the conflict, and if I'm not wrong, directly after the events of the preceding book. Throughout the plot it also consistently refers to events and characters from previous books. Not much is explained and the book half assumes the reader is aware of what happened previously, but what really made me stick to it is the fact that instead of putting me off, it only enticed me to read the previous books. So if you have not read the series yet, this is a brilliant time to start - you don't have to impatiently wait for the next installment!

The primary character, Faythe, is by no means perfect. Her faults are laid out as it is from the very beginning. She's stubborn and heedless, yes, but also strong and unwavering. In Alpha, Faythe struggles with her affection for both Marc and Jace, two toms who vie for her heart. While I cannot begin to understand how she can love both of them, her indecision and guilt over hurting either of them is palpable in her actions. And while I vehemently stand against her infidelity to Marc, her acknowledgment of this mistake and the punishment she endures placated me.

Out of all the characters, I like Marc the most. Sure, he has a temper, is easy to provoke and is angry for most of the book. But he is such a genuine character; this may sound funny - but I do see a cat in his personality. I love his every word in this book - they are so honest and so genuine, and his hurt is strongly present. I'm glad he is not as forgiving to Faythe at all. His anger gives a sharp edge to the romance, and I'd be damned if I did not enjoy every single second of it!

Alpha is not all about romance - there is also a huge thrill surrounding politics, loyalties and disputes. It is in this part that Alpha fails to make me feel like I have grasp the whole of what is happening. I believe this part heavily refers to occurances in the previous books. There is a lot of tension involving the werecat council and a war amongst shifters is brewing - Faythe is in the thick of it. Tied to this is a very thrilling action interspersed throughout the book. Despite the fact that I lack previous knowledge about what led to certain events in Alpha, I loved being part of Faythe's world. The action, the thrill, the sense of danger following her footsteps is exciting!

I wish the ending was longer - it appeared too abrupt for my liking. Here's to hoping for more!

Simply put, Alpha is one exhilarating read. Forget werewolves, werecats are definitely in. And I just have to add this - I am in lust with the consistency of the Shifter Series' covers!

5.0 out of 5 stars shifter series, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters) (Paperback)
I justed finished the shifters series and i enjoyed it but i don't see how Alpha could be the last book in the series.It just don't feel like the end Rachel Vincent have left it open to write more book's for the series.Cause i don't think it is the end for Faythe,Marc and the pride there is so much more for them to do as a pride and for the story to go.So i hope she feel's like she can go on with the series cause i don't think Faythe have got her happy ending till she get's what she want's for her pride and the tabbies.So if you have not read the series i would say reed it cause it is a very good series.I'm hoping for more of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in the ending but we cant have it all, 10 Oct 2010
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters) (Paperback)
Lets just say i agree with the other reviewer, there will be no spoilers in my review, as i absolutely hate it when people leave them telling you exactly what happens in the book.

All i can say is wow, i read this in 3 hours today and i have a headache from crying, and when i mean crying i mean sobbing like a baby.

It was sad, powerful, dramatic and it ended the only way it could to be honest. I was let down by the choice she made as i was pro the other one but like i said in my title, we cant have it all.

I have spoken to Rachel on twitter and asked if there is another book to come out, as like you i don't want it to end and the way it was left, made me think that it was done on purpose to be able to continue the story but as Rachel has told me personally, Alpha is the end of Faythe's story.

I am hoping however that she was being cunning and vague and will give us more installments but from someone else's perspective

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
easy read

5.0 out of 5 stars Alpha Shifters series, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Alpha (Shifters) (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good fantasy; happy ending. What more can you ask for? Kept me engrossed from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Alpha (Shifters) (Kindle Edition)
Love it love the whole series wish there were more books in the series. I'm addicted can't get enough of them

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Suggestion, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Alpha (Shifters) (Kindle Edition)
A friend suggested this series for me. She knows I like romance and paranormal books, this series had both. This series was slow in some places but overall enjoyable.

This series is about werecat shape shifters and their pride. Most Prides have toms but not many tabbies. Each Pride is lucky to have a tabby. The tabby is the Prides most treasured prizes. Tabbies are found to be attractive and fertile by members of the Pride and the Strays.

Strays are werecats that don't belong to a pride or whose who are human born.

Each Pride has enforcers. Enforcers can travel on 2 feet in human form or on 4 feet in werecat form.

Faythe is the only tabby in her Pride apart from her mother. She is wanted by many toms but her heart only wants one. She has many brothers and cousins but she will be Alpha one day if her father wants her to be.

Each book continues on from the last one.

I would recommend this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars adrenaline dumping excitement, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Alpha (Shifters) (Kindle Edition)
I've read books that have made me laugh, and made me cry, but this is the first book I've read that has given me a real adrenaline dump where my heart pounded and my hands shook.
It's a must read, along with the previous 5 in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tragically average end to a great series., 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters) (Paperback)
I was, however, a little bit disappointed with this book. Whilst the action was as fast paced as ever it seemed to me that as the inevitable end approached Vincent kind of lost her steam. The last part of the book- particularly Faythe's final decision between the two guys in her life- seemed to me to be very rushed. Honestly, it felt like she tried to wind it up as easily as possible and, for that reason, I felt that the ending was quite deflating.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters)
Alpha (Faythe Sanders - Book 6) (Shifters) by Rachel Vincent (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)
5.24