on 16 July 2011
I decided to read this after discovering several shining reviews from goodreads friends. It seems that for about a month I've struggled to read anything serious; I'm getting really into chick-lit and humour books at the moment, anyone who's seen my Julie James marathon will already know this. Talk Me Down is about 90% extremely light-hearted, funny and sexy, whilst the other 10% is creepy stalker-ish but I also enjoyed this as a kind of background subplot.
The story is about Molly, a writer of erotic fiction for women, who moves back to her quiet, scandal-is-the-8th-deadly-sin home town. There she is confronted with Ben Lawson, the police chief and the very man who has been the fuel for her erotic fantasies over the past ten years. Ben quickly becomes a welcome distraction from the weird things that keep happening to Molly... like doors that she was so sure she locked being found open and strange male-shaped shadows lurking on hilltops outside her bedroom window. But she's determined to keep her career a secret from Ben, who's sure to be put off by the kinky fantasies she has penned down.
The novel was really enjoyable and I liked both Molly and Ben very much. Ben Lawson is both the shy cute guy and the one who turns into a super stud in the bedroom, his character is simply adorable. There's a lot more graphic sex than a Julie James book, including scenes with vibrator use - Molly calls it Little Blue - and some hot dirty talk. But there's also a great deal of respect between the two main characters that makes me love their relationship so much more.
The stalker subplot is actually pretty scary. Imagine seeing a dark shape outside your window and thinking "no worries, the door's locked" only to discover that it isn't! But don't worry, there's a sexy chief of police only a phone call away and he's not afraid to use that big gun of his (I apologise for the innuendo but it appears to be the author's favourite - I have it on the brain now, hehe).
I've heard the rest of the series is also just as impressive so I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by Victoria Dahl.