5.0 out of 5 stars Series just gets better!
Published on 13 Feb. 2010 by Claire Mill

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Suggestion
A friend suggested this series for me. She knows I like romance and paranormal books, this series had both. This series was slow in some places but overall enjoyable.

This series is about werecat shape shifters and their pride. Most Prides have toms but not many tabbies. Each Pride is lucky to have a tabby. The tabby is the Prides most treasured prizes. Tabbies...
Published 14 months ago by oldman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Series just gets better!, 13 Feb. 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
Shift is the 5th book in Rachel Vincent's Shifters series and picks up a week or so after Prey. Faythe and her Pride are still deep in mourning for the loss of one of their own and busy plotting their revenge against Calvin Malone and his supporters for that death. But things take an unexpected and very dangerous turn when they are attacked out of the blue by Thunderbirds. Giant bird shifters with deadly hooked wings and talons, putting the werecats at a big disadvantage by their ablilty to fly. Faythe is determined to get to the truth behind the attacks, but can she do it and take care of teenage tabby Kaci? With her personal life in turmoil and Malone determined to have both tabbies for himself, it's going to be far from easy. But Faythe's never been one to back away from a fight.

I loved this series from the first book, and it's grown on me with every book. The characters are vivid and flawed, but have grown a huge amount throughout the series learning from mistakes and the difficult decisions that have been made along the way. Shift sees Faythe trying to deal with the consequences of one of her biggest mistakes, sleeping with Jace, without hurting either him or Marc. Jace has grown and changed a whole lot since Ethan's death as well. He's not content with playful flirtation with Faythe anymore, or being a low-ranking enforcer. He's showing potential that shocks those closest to him and gives greater depth to his character.

I couldn't help but feel for both Faythe and Jace as they worked together through this book, against the thunderbirds and Malone's cats. My heart ached for Marc and his place in the situation too, loving Faythe and wanting her to finally commit to him, unaware of her actions with Jace. And Kaci, a young werecat who knows little of their world and yet finds herself in the middle of a war, trusting in Faythe to keep her safe. Faythe is facing huge decisions, both personally and professionally, in the hunt to save those she loves and I felt every up and down, twist and turn along with her. I love how she's gone from a mouthy brat in Stray, to someone who has great potential to be a very good leader.

The action started on page one and never really let up. The thunderbirds were well described bringing them to vivid life, and something that gave me chills. There were some really great twists and I was never sure what was going to happen until the end. The tension built through the book right to the intense ending, but there were a couple good lighter moments that made me laugh too. I think this has replaced Prey as my favourite book of the series, although it doesn't hold quite the level of shock Prey did, it was so well put together and created a real tension that made it impossible for me to put down. I really feel for all the characters and the troubles they're in, and Faythe in particular, as she makes some really tough decisions. Things are a long way from over for any of them, and I really can't guess what's going to be thrown at them next! The whole series has improved with each book, in every way, the writing, the characters, the way it's all brought to life. I'll be sad to see the series finish, but I also can't wait for the final book, Alpha, to come out so I can find out what happens to these characters I've really fallen for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shifters Book 5, 20 April 2010
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
This is the 5th book in the Shifters series so it is very difficult to review without giving spoilers for previous books. If you're new to the series I strongly recommend you don't read this review as this series really should be read in order - why not check out the reviews for Stray instead. This is my favorite Urban Fantasy series though so I'd definitely recommend you check it out!

This book continues the story just a couple of weeks after the ending of Prey - Faythe and the rest of her Pride are still devestated by the loss of an important Pride member and are preparing to go to war to get their revenge and stop Calvin Malone's attempt to take over the Pride Council. But attack comes in an unexpected form when they are set upon by the Thunderbirds - a Flight of bird shifters who are determined to destroy the Pride. The Pride have no idea why they are under attack and they are at a major disadvantage when their enemy can fly - they can't afford to lose more members if they are going to have a chance in the upcoming war. When the Thunderbirds manage to kidnap Kaci it falls to Faythe to discover what they want and to figure out a way to rescue her.

I have been a massive fan of the Shifters series ever since I read Stray but with each book I've been amazed that it has managed to be better than the last. Shift didn't disappoint and I was drawn into Faythe's world from the very first page. I love the way Faythe's character has grown throughout the series - she still has flaws and makes mistakes but she is truely starting to show her full potential.

Shift is action packed from the word go and kept me on the edge of my seat until the last page. I really didn't know how the book was going to end and there were some great twists that I wasn't expecting. I have no idea how the relationship issues between Faythe, Marc & Jace will be resolved after the events of the last book. I feel for each of the characters and just can't see a way to give all three of them a happy ending.

The style of Rachel Vincent's writing has created an absorbing world that hooks you from the moment you pick up the book. I don't think I've ever felt so emotionally invested in the outcome of a series before and for that reason I am both longing for and dreading the final book Alpha. I'm sure Rachel will manage to surpass my expectations but I really don't want my journey with Faythe, Marc & the Pride to come to an end. If you haven't tried this series yet then I really recommend you go out and get a copy of Stray today - I'm sure you'll be as hooked as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shift around books to make room for this novel, 30 Mar. 2010
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
Rachel Vincent has done it again. A book full of intrigue, suspense and tension.

Faythe's character has gone from strength to strength and we see her really step up to the plate here as Alpha material in the penultimate book to the series. This book is every as bit as good as the others and makes me a little sad that the series will end soon.

Overall a fantastic book by a fantastic author

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 16 July 2010
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
When this book arrived I couldn't wait to read it, and started it even though I was half-way through 'dead to the world' (Charlaine Harris). For a while it was difficult to decide which to read, but in the end Shift won hands down.

The book started pretty much where the previous book (Prey) left off, with Ethan (Faythe's brother) recently deceased at the hands of a fellow Alpha - Malone, and Faythe's father - Alpha of their pride, about to start a war against Malone.

However, after stalling her father with regards to the strike on the other pride, Faythe's home is attacked by thunderbirds - giant shape-shifting birds with giant wingspans, who are under the impression (coutesy of Malone) that Faythe's pride is responsible for the killing of one of their males called Finn.

Things quickly esculate as first Kaci is abducted and rescued, two male cats are killed and another two seriously injured, and then Faythe and Kaci are both kidnapped and taken to the thunderbirds roost. Faythe then manages to convince the thunderbirds to call a halt to the attack on her pride, to give her time to find evidence that her pride did not kill Finn, and is given 48 hours, after which Kaci will be killed.

Faythe then must risk life and limb - litterally - in order to get the evidence that the thunderbirds will accept, and return in time to save Kaci's life, and those of the rest of her pride, held captive in their own home by the thunderbird flight. On top of that, Faythe is also keeping her slip with Jace a secret from her boyfriend Marc, who is once again asking her to marry him, causing things to be strained when Faythe, Jace, and Marc must work together in confined quarters.

Overall the book was fast-paced and exciting, with both the threat to the pride and Faythe's own love-triangle mess going on. I can certainly say that I am very much looking forward to the next installment - Alpha, which is the last book in the series, when Faythe will have to make the choice between Marc and Jace and live with the consequences of that choice, even if it means that one will have to leave the pride, with neither having anywhere else to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars The tension alone is enough to leave you gasping, 17 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
1) Faythe is referred to as Kaci's mother and I have no problem with that because Faythe truly acts like it. She selflessly puts her life...more Oh. My. God. This is just a heart-stopper. I can't tell you how many times I stopped breathing. The tension alone is enough to leave you gasping. There is no mistaking that Alpha will be a heart-breaker. Faythe is left with so many decisions to make, I do not envy her at all.
I don't want to say too much but I will disclose the following:
1) Faythe is referred to as Kaci's mother and I have no problem with that because Faythe truly acts like it. She selflessly puts her life in danger on multiple occasions to protect Kaci. Faythe sees a lot of herself in the young tabby and doesn't want her to make the same mistakes she has. Both have suffered so much pain and horror, they share a similar strength and have grown a great deal over the course of the books.
2) Faythe makes some Alpha-ish decisions. Big ones. Ones that test her sense of honour and morality. Understandably she finds them tough and hesitates to go further in one case where her father criticises her choice. I don't blame her, she values life as she should but she needs to find a balance and look at the future welfare of both herself and her pride when making these life and death decisions. Mercy is not always the answer.
3) The Thunderbirds. At first I thought they came across as heartless and unreasonable, and their warped sense of honour bugged me until near the end when we see how they deliver justice and how they interact with their children, part of the reason why they can't really socialise with humans. Young Thunderbirds shift easily and uncontrollably, the smallest change in their emotions and part of their bodies shifts in the blink of an eye. That's another thing, Thunderbirds shift lightening fast and have powerful upper bodies and weak spindly legs because they prefer flight. They make formidable opponents. The werecats may be good at facing earth-bound enemies but ones that drop out of the sky without warning with 10ft+ wingspans, a strong sharp beak, huge talons on their feet and claws at the end of their wings - not so much. The Thunderbirds are democratic (there has never been an Alpha), they are practical almost to the point of being unemotional and the punishment for the murder of one of their own kind can only be looked upon as painfully gruesome. *shivers*
4) Calvin Malone. Ugh. What a despicable man: he's a manipulative, self-serving SOB and his greed and lust for power may very well be his downfall. He does something which may have triggered the beginning of his demise and I'm hoping it has because that would be incredibly satisfying. He's responsible for so many deaths. The way he treats his enforcers, his own children, his blatant disregard for life in pursuit of power - I'd like to kill him myself!
5) The action. Oh man. There's impressive adrenaline pumping action as always, casualties on all sides (the Saunders pride, the Malone pride and the Thunderbirds) plus murder, kidnapping, conspiracy, testicular disfigurement (totally deserved), facial disfigurement (twice - once in retribution, again totally deserved) and more. The fast pace never let up, never gave you time to relax because every time you started to something shocks you, jumps out or makes you burst out laughing or cheering (the ball-busting was one of those occasions!).
6) Jace vs Marc - What everyone wants to know: Faythe's indiscretion with Jace IS revealed but I won't say how, I don't want to ruin it for you, sorry, though there are several moments when you think "Oh God, here it comes" ratcheting up that tension even more because we know it's coming, we just don't know how and when. Each of these moments gives a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) hint to Marc about what is going on, it's frightening the number of times everything comes so close to exploding. And when the dirty laundry is finally aired you feel just as embarrassed, hurt, confused, scared and lonely as Faythe does.
I honestly don't know what will happen. Most of the book revolves around Jace and Marc with an emphasis on Jace, giving him a chance to show what he has to offer Faythe. Even though Jace has lost some of his happy fun-loving attitude since Ethan's death, with Faythe he regains some of the sparkle in his eye. There are times when Marc seems perfect for her and times where he drops the ball and Jace effortlessly picks it up. Marc is superior in a lot of ways but Jace, where Marc will dispute and challenge Faythe, Jace will trust her most of the time to do the right thing without any explanation or argument, a refreshing change. Now this can be both a good thing and a bad thing but Faythe likes to have room to make her own mistakes and Jace has always given her that, though as we all know Marc has been claustrophobic in his over-protectiveness in the past.
She obviously loves them both and I don't know how she's going to choose because I'm torn too. Normally I can't stand love triangles but this one is so realistic that I don't mind. I can't help but wonder if the choice will be taken away from Faythe. Will one of them die? Will one of them become Alpha of another pride? Overall, this is all just messy and I'm truly scared about the events in Alpha - this book will be EVERYTHING. I'm certain it will be book that will require a box of tissues in order to get through it. September cannot come soon enough and I'm grateful I don't have to wait until next February. Two books in one year, we're so lucky!
I bow down in respect to Rachel Vincent's astonishing writing ability, to make readers feel her characters' emotions and have them laugh and cry right along with them. It's beautiful. After reading some really crappy and so-so books lately, this was an utter joy to read

5.0 out of 5 stars The Series' Standard Remains Great, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
Since reading 'Stray' (book 1) I've been hooked on this series and the characters. As the previous in the series was fairly static - revolving around Faythe's trial in the cabin, 'Shift' features a welcome return to the ranch. the book is completely action-filled, moving from one drama to another fight and featuring various twists that stop it becoming repetitive or boring in any way.

The characters are as vibrant as ever, with Jace rising to main character status in this book. There is something about Faythe that a reader cannot help but like. In theory she isn't the perfect protagonist, but i think the realistic nature of her character, she makes mistakes and stands up for her beliefs (alongside being kick-ass) is actually refreshing amongst the typical can-do-no-wrong hero/heroine that many fantasy novels feature. The only critisim about Rachel Vincent's series is that perhaps she has too many significant characters with very bold and stand-out personalities (Think Faythe's brothers, enforcers, Marc, parents alongside the other Alpha's and other pride cats/strays that we've been introduced to), although this does still work and doesnt distract from the story - there just always seems to be a lot going on, be it the action or family drama.

As other reviewers have perfectly described the plot I won't bore you by talking about it, other than that this book was as gripping as the rest, perhaps more so than the previous (to those who found it a bit lacking as I did). Vincent effortlessly manages to make a completely unknown and unrealistic world seem plausible, as the best fantasy can and should, and that is the biggest praise I can give to her. Its a great book, really it is. Anyone who is a fan of Armstrong, or even wants to grow up from the Twilight world should really take a look at this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could barely put it down!, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
This is one of those books you can barely stand to put down. Secretly sneaking pages between tasks in the hope that no one will notice your obsession.

It is book five in Rachel Vincent's Shifter series following Faythe Sanders. So if you haven't read any before I'd recommend you start with the first: 'Stray' and read through. But this is hardly a hardship as they're all fantastic. In fact, I find myself envying you your first read!

The series is set in the patriarchal world of werecats, where very few female shifters survive, and the feminist movement seems to have been completely bypassed. Women are prized commodities for breeding and raising children. Faythe is unwed and the first ever female to be allowed, despite many protests, to become an enforcer.

But, as Shift begins it's no longer about what Faythe wants from her life, but how her pride can survive. Riding on their grief and anger from the death of her brother in the previous novel, it seems that civil war among the werecats is both inevitable and unavoidable.

The plot's as turbulent as a hand-glider in a hurricane, the action catapulting to life from the very first chapter along with your heart rate.

Rachel Vincent isn't afraid to hold back, this isn't the type of book you can sit back and relax because you know your favourite character is going to be OK. As Vincent's unafraid to do what's right for the narrative, even if it's not necessarily what you want to happen. Making the book an addictive, adrenalin rush of a page turner.

The relationship between Faythe & her lover Marc still sizzles and the love triangle between Faythe, Marc & Jace moves from painful to gut wrenching. There are times I can barely stand it and find myself reading between half closed fingers, wondering just how Faythe is going to mess things up this time. Unable to bear the consequences.

With the Pride's situation escalating out of control, and their future in the balance Faythe has to put her personal problems to one side and make some very difficult decisions. As danger comes not only from the treacherous Calvin, but the arrival of a new species: Thunderbirds, which it would seem the werecats are no match for when it comes to battle.

The introduction of the Thunderbirds was a bit of a sidestep of the narrative I hadn't expected and I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, but it adds an interesting twist to the story.

Faythe is wilful, brave, impetuous, rash and at times immature but you can't help but experience the exhilaration, desperation and pain with her.

The series is coming to a close with the next and last book 'Alpha' and if it were out next week (which sadly it isn't) it wouldn't be soon enough for me. This is a brilliant book that I'd recommend you go and read this now if you haven't already...

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves me praying for more, 23 Feb. 2010
Ms. Lisa Eldridge "wildchick" (ayrshire, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
This book is from one of the best series of books I have read in a while; it is msart, funny, intriguing and makes you feel for the characters, Rachel Vincent's style of writing is brilliant, sucking you right into her world from the get go, it is described in perfect detail.

Do not start with this book go right back and start with stray; this book could be read in stand alone; it is all explained but you would not get the same amount of enjoyment out of it.

Now I just need to sit back and wait for Alpha to come out in September!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just couldn't put it down, 23 Feb. 2010
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
Another series going from strength to strength as the heroine matures into adulthood. This book has a great balance of action - the thunderbirds are a plausible addition and credible culture - and relationships - Faythe must deal with and resolve the Jace/Marc triangle. I also like the mothering angle with Kaci. Can't wait for 'Alpha' although I am concerned that it might mean that her father might be dead???

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection itself, 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) (Paperback)
I have to tell you, this series just keeps getting better and better!

Shift was so action-packed I could hardly contain my excitement at times!

Plus, the plot was quite a bit different to the rest of the books which made it that much more interesting and thrilling.

Faythe's development throughout the book is astounding. She is so much more responsible, not only for herself but the entire Pride. She thinks thing through that little bit more and is less selfish in her actions. Furthermore she regrets the decisions she makes which I feel she didn't in the first book of the series.

Shift is certainly an emotional rollercoaster of a book. There were moments that made me laugh, moments that made me cry and moments where I wanted to shake Faythe and scream 'WHY? WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!', (more often than not).

I really can't wait to read Alpha. All I have to say is that if it continues like Shift did then it will truly be an amazing read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters)
Shift (Faythe Sanders - Book 5) (Shifters) by Rachel Vincent (Paperback - 19 Feb. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01