4.0 out of 5 stars Top form paranormal romance
Maggie Shayne's Her Best Enemy describes our heroine moving into a haunted house. It proves an intense story filled with fear and blossuming love (4/5)

Barbara Hambly's Someone Else's Shadow is an thiller which keeps you guessing. They characters in this story are very indearing and believible. (4.5/5)

Charlaine Harris is once again on top form. This...
Published on 10 Feb. 2010 by Dione Todd

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Harris' story is well-written
Published on 19 Oct. 2010 by N. Hudson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Top form paranormal romance, 10 Feb. 2010
Dione Todd (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night's Edge: Dancers in the Dark / Her Best Enemy / Someone Else's Shadow (Paperback)

Charlaine Harris is once again on top form. This is NOT a Sookie Stackhouse story, but it is easy to past this as it is set in the same world. Layla Rue and Sean are both very indearing character which follow a strong plot filled with suspense and love. (5/5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Night's Edge, 29 July 2009
Tracy Davies (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book just to read the story by Charlaine Harris, thinking it would be a chapter of the Sookie Stackhouse saga. Often you buy a collection of stories and are bored and disappointed by some, but you plough through to reach the one you really want to read. I am pleased to tell you this is not the case with this collection. All three stories were well written and enjoyable and left me wanting more. This novel contains romance, comedy and a few twists; not to mention the occasional werewolf. Urban fantasy at its best. Go on treat yourself, you know you want to!

3.0 out of 5 stars Only Harris' story is well-written, 19 Oct. 2010
N. Hudson (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book on the basis of good reviews from previous purchasers and because I like Charlaine Harris, but I was very disappointed with the first 2 stores that were not by her. There are 3 stories in the book, each about 130 pages. The Harris story is good which is why I've given 3 stars. The other two were very similar to each other, erotic chick-lit masquerading as ghost stories. The sex scenes were far too explicit. When Harris writes a sex scene she isn't very explicit, which I greatly prefer. Maybe Amazon should give these books certificates, like X or U, similar to film classifications!

5.0 out of 5 stars ghost hunting, 21 Nov. 2009
I am a big fan of Maggie Shane and Charlene Harris and neither disappoint in this book. Charlene takes back to Sookie's world but it's not a Sookie story. In Maggie's story she tells us about Kylie who finds her new home is haunted. I have never read Barbara Hambly but after reading her tale of the haunted dance studio I will be looking out for more books by her. 3 excelent stories, which I didn't want to put down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Night's Edge, 24 Feb. 2010
Sabina Vulfson (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I only bought the book to read the Charlaine Harris story. I love her universe, but this story was non-comparant to the Sookie Stackhouse books. You can sure feel you are in Sookie's "world" somehow, but it's just not as un-put-downable as the Sookie books. Still worth to read, cause it's just nice to get the background knowledge on the characters from the book.

Her Best Enemy by Maggie Shayne was definitely a good an interesting read. Funny, pretty erotic, thrilling... Good story and plot. I will look out for this author.

Someone Else's Shadow by Barbara Hambly was pretty hard to get through since it didn't catch my interest at all... Maybe it was the way it was written, maybe to much dancing techniques descriptions, maybe I didn't find the characters trustworthy or they just didn't appeal to me? I will look out for this author too but to avoid her...
This story I could have done without and that's why I can only rate the collection with 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHARLENE ROCKED IT !!!, 18 July 2010
Ms. E. J. Stoll "emmanaimeemai" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
THE BEST STORY IS DEFINATLY LAYLA'S STORY THE LAST ONE, THE OTHERS WHERE GOOD, BUT NOT MANY CAN MATCH CHARLENES HARRIS'S TALENTS, THE OTHER 2 WER O.K, DEFINATLY WORTH THE READ , BUT A LITTLE BIT UNMEMORABLE , THIS ISN'T A SOOKIE STACKHOUSE BOOK, BUT I WISH LAYLA WAS BEING DEVELOPED FURTHER, SHE WAS A REALLY MEMORABLE AND LIKEABLE CHARACTER:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Night's Edge, 3 Aug. 2010
As a Sookie addict, I was reluctant to sample a different story by Charlaine Harris in case it disappointed but I was really impressed. Loved her story and the other two, couldn't put the book down. Really recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 19 May 2010
SCS "S.C.S." (Midlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Loved this book if you like the true blood books then this is right up your street, scary, exciting and very believable characters.Night's Edge (MIRA)

4.0 out of 5 stars Alright Book, 12 Mar. 2013
M. Stubbs (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Love Charlaine Harris's work (True Blood etc) and so ordered this book which contained work by other authors as well. I enjoyed reading all the short stories but if you are expecting stories as good as her True Blood you will feel a bit let down.

Having said that, if you clear your mind of her usual work, you will not be disappointed at all.

I would go for it as a change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better suited to Charlaine's genre, 3 Sept. 2012
I previously bought another compilation that sold itself on Charaline Harris's name and was dissapointed, however this one is fantastic.
Anyone wondering what to do after Sookie should have a read for a taster of some different author's. Would also be nice if there were other continuations of Harris' southern vampires like this short story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›