This was a wonderfully thought provoking book covering many topical issues. Beautifully written and believable, it fully deserves its good reveiews.

It's difficult to précis the story without giving too much away.
Published on 4 Sept. 2009 by DubaiReader

3.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, but certainly not 5 stars
Published on 5 Feb. 2010 by K. Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't think Jodi Picoult writes fast enough .... try this, 4 Sept. 2009
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)

It's difficult to précis the story without giving too much away.
Cee Cee is just 12 when her mother dies and she is left in care without love. When she meets Tim Gleeson she falls head over heels in love. In the first chapter we are told that Tim Gleeson is on trial for his life so we know that he's not the great catch that she thinks he is but the rest of the pieces of the puzzle are gradually added as we read on.
At the end we are left mulling over the moral issues, which are never really clear cut. We wonder what we would have done in the same situation, and most of all, whether we would have admitted our part in it. It's a heart wrenching decision and affects so many people.

Brilliant, life-like characters, all very different from one another but melding together as a whole.
I shall definitely be passing this one on - and looking out the author's past work.

NB: The Lost Daughter and The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes are the same book by two different titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant story!, 10 Mar. 2009
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
This book is one where you read it until it ends without stopping except for a cup of tea when youre getting dehydrated! The writing is excellent, keeping you gripped from chapter to chapter. It is a beautifully told story about a kidnapping gone wrong and the consequences which result in massive secets and lies. A highly recommended read, this book is a gem and the best book I have read in ages. The characters are so loveable and flawed which makes them so believable. I cant wait to read more of this authors books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding its way to my favourites., 2 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
Diane Chamberlain has been compared to Jodi Piccoult, and I can see why, as she writes about circumstances that can make you question your morals and beliefs, and has you rethinking what is actually right and wrong. However I would go as far to say that I enjoyed this author more. I found her writing compelling and consistently engaging. I never felt bored or bogged down in detail and felt incredibly moved by the whole book. This is one that will have you thinking long after you close the pages. My best read of the year so far, I can't wait to pick up Diane Chamberlains newest book, The Bay At Midnight.

5.0 out of 5 stars something else, 5 July 2009
Gemma Ford "gem" (antrim) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
totally loved this book. it gripped me from the blurb at the back. I finished it in 2 days, that is my only fault. I wanted it to go on and on. so many gripping characters and twisting story lines. I did not see the outcome coming at all..... all i can say is please read it!! it's one of those can't put it down books.... you will not be disappointed!
from a literary point of view, perhaps it isn't the best written..... however a book like this needs to be seen for what it is.... an amazing story!! i totally loved it and will be telling anyone who listens to go find it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 10 Aug. 2009
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
This is a wonderful story of how a naive young girl's actions shape the rest of her life. As a teenager, hopelessly in love, CeeCee allows herself to be led into a dangerous kidnapping which ends tragically. What she does next has devastating consequences for all concerned.
I dithered over this book in the shop, should I buy it or not, wasn't quite sure it would be my kind of read, but it is absolutely brilliant, I couldn't wait to turn the next page, loved it. Looking forward to reading more by the same author.

3.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, but certainly not 5 stars, 5 Feb. 2010
K. Morris "karenjmorris2" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
I bought this book as it was recommended for me by Amazon and it seemed to get lots of good reviews. I did enjoy it, although it is light, easy reading and doesn't really make you think at all. It touches on capital punishment but gives it no more than a cursory glance, If anything, the book is really about motherhood, love, and what makes a good mother. I read the book in 3 days and found myself staying up late at night, thinking 'just one more chapter, then I'll turn the light off'. The writing style is fluid and the main characters are well-drawn. However, I can't give it 5 stars as there were just too many implausible things that happened throughout the book. I know it is fiction and I understand the concept of suspension of disbelief, but for me there were just too many far-fetched events and characters. I know America is huge and people must go 'on the run' etc, but I found it hard to believe that the characters could really get away with the things they did, even in the States. The ending was a bit too saccharine for me unfortunately. Overall, a reasonable holiday read but in my opinion, not as exceptional as other readers have found.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 3 Jan. 2011
I downloaded this as something that looked interesting enough for a quid, and enjoyed it. It's a nice easy read, keeps the pages turning, and it was stupid o'clock in the morning by the time I finished it.

Good idea for a story, nicely paced (mostly) and the dialogue flowed. I liked the characters and was definitely rooting for CeeCee. I would, however, have liked to know a bit more about the workings of SCAPE as it seemed to be a device for explaining how things magically fell into place.

The ending was a somewhat convenient and a little bit far fetched, but I still really enjoyed reading this book and I'm glad I spent my quid. Like I said, it kept me awake reading into the night, so that's always a good sign.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Lost Track of Time!, 18 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
CeeCee Wilkes is a naive 16 year old girl trying to make an independent way in the world after a difficult childhood. Her father never figured in her life and her strong, capable mother died from cancer at the age of 29 leaving her only child, at 12, to face the world alone. Tim Gleason is a suave 22 year old student. CeeCee is immediately taken with his staggering green eyes, his passion for study and his obvious maturity and charm. Unfortunately love blinds CeeCee to the absurdity of the situation when Tim encourages her to help him and his brother with an idea that they have. She is swept along with their righteous enthusiasm and before long she finds herself in a situation more serious and frightening than she could ever have envisaged.

On the surface this book started out as a love story but the author cleverly managed to make the reader intrigued by giving hints that perhaps not everything was as it seemed. As the story progresses it becomes more complicated but also more intriguing and so becomes a really gripping read. I found I really struggled to put this book down as I just couldn't predict what was going to happen next. It was obvious that at any point things could suddenly but it was impossible to predict.

This book was a really interesting read. There were so many factors in the story that made me think about other topics as well as just the basic storyline. The United States still has the death penalty and this had a direct impact on how Tim felt about the justice system. CeeCee decided to build a new life for herself but how easy is that to do at such a young age and is it really possible to forget your past? Is a mother responsible for all the personality traits of her child; is it nurture or nature that makes us who we are? At the end of the day is honesty always the best policy? How far will people go to help or protect their loved ones and at what cost?

I would certainly recommend this book. It is an intriguing story that captures the reader early on and grips you until the final page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter develops into gripping story, 25 July 2010
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
I bought this book about a year ago and kept picking it up and putting it down because the first few chapters simply weren't grabbing me. After reading a few reviews on here which said it was worth persevering past the slow start, I tried again and absolutely loved it! This is storytelling at its best, a plot that rolls on apace once it gets oing and one of those books where you simply have to keep reading to find out what happens next.

The 'Lost Daughter' of the title could be CeeCee Wilkes. Her beloved mother died when CeeCee was 12 leaving behind a bright and good girl desperate for love and security. So when she meets Tim a handsome, wealthy, intelligent young man, and their relationship rapidly develops into what CeeCee believes is true love, she's willing to do anything not to lose him. This includes helping out with a kidnapping with the aim of freeing somebody she believes is unfairly on death row. Predictably, things very soon go very horribly wrong, and it's up to CeeCee to find the strength to start her life all over again, all the time trying to make amends for the past and to do the right thing for the people she grows to love.

Doing the right thing is very much the theme of this book, even when it's not obvious what the right thing is. My only gripe with this book is that the author felt obliged to justify CeeCee's decision to get involved in the kidnapping because she believed the person on death row didn't deserve to be there, not because she was inherently opposed to the death penalty. Even the more liberal characters seem to think it's OK (in fact a good thing) for the state to put convicted 'scum' to death, a position that repels me so much it almost spoiled a very good book for me. But if it gets people talking about it, I guess that's a good thing!

In short, a really cracking read that deals with some difficult issues, very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in ages!, 22 Feb. 2009
Mrs. T. Stephens (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
I have not come across this author before, and chose the book because the cover said it was a must for Jodi Picoult fans. I am so glad I did, it was a great read. The writing style is easy to read, but the content is anything but! I couldn't put it down, and the only disappointment was finding myself at the end before I wanted it to be finished! The storyline follows the life of a woman involved in a failed kidnap attempt and the baby she ends up bringing up as a result. It also looks at the rights and wrongs of the death penalty,although not in great detail. It does make you think about a variety of issues though, whilst still being a very entertaining read. I loved it, and am now going to investigate the author's backlist!

The Lost Daughter
The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01