This was a wonderfully thought provoking book covering many topical issues. Beautifully written and believable, it fully deserves its good reveiews.

It's difficult to précis the story without giving too much away.
Published on 4 Sep 2009 by DubaiReader

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best....
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by L. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't think Jodi Picoult writes fast enough .... try this, 4 Sep 2009
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)

It's difficult to précis the story without giving too much away.
Cee Cee is just 12 when her mother dies and she is left in care without love. When she meets Tim Gleeson she falls head over heels in love. In the first chapter we are told that Tim Gleeson is on trial for his life so we know that he's not the great catch that she thinks he is but the rest of the pieces of the puzzle are gradually added as we read on.
At the end we are left mulling over the moral issues, which are never really clear cut. We wonder what we would have done in the same situation, and most of all, whether we would have admitted our part in it. It's a heart wrenching decision and affects so many people.

Brilliant, life-like characters, all very different from one another but melding together as a whole.
I shall definitely be passing this one on - and looking out the author's past work.

NB: The Lost Daughter and The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes are the same book by two different titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant story!, 10 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
This book is one where you read it until it ends without stopping except for a cup of tea when youre getting dehydrated! The writing is excellent, keeping you gripped from chapter to chapter. It is a beautifully told story about a kidnapping gone wrong and the consequences which result in massive secets and lies. A highly recommended read, this book is a gem and the best book I have read in ages. The characters are so loveable and flawed which makes them so believable. I cant wait to read more of this authors books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding its way to my favourites., 2 Feb 2010
Vicki @ Cosy Books - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
Diane Chamberlain has been compared to Jodi Piccoult, and I can see why, as she writes about circumstances that can make you question your morals and beliefs, and has you rethinking what is actually right and wrong. However I would go as far to say that I enjoyed this author more. I found her writing compelling and consistently engaging. I never felt bored or bogged down in detail and felt incredibly moved by the whole book. This is one that will have you thinking long after you close the pages. My best read of the year so far, I can't wait to pick up Diane Chamberlains newest book, The Bay At Midnight.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best...., 8 Feb 2012
L. Taylor (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the third Diane Chamberlain book I've read and it really does pale in comparison to the other two (The Midwife's Confession and Breaking the Silence). The characters were almost all completely two-dimensional and utterly predictable, the dialogue was trite and the story was just awful. By the time I got to the end it just felt like it was the literary equivalent of a really bad made-for-TV movie. Not one of her better efforts and one best avoided.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK - but not great, 2 May 2011
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
I am a fan of Jodi Picoult books so thought I would give this a try. This book was OK - however there were just too many far fetched events for me. Not sure I will try this author again in a hurry

3.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, but certainly not 5 stars, 5 Feb 2010
K. Morris "karenjmorris2" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
I bought this book as it was recommended for me by Amazon and it seemed to get lots of good reviews. I did enjoy it, although it is light, easy reading and doesn't really make you think at all. It touches on capital punishment but gives it no more than a cursory glance, If anything, the book is really about motherhood, love, and what makes a good mother. I read the book in 3 days and found myself staying up late at night, thinking 'just one more chapter, then I'll turn the light off'. The writing style is fluid and the main characters are well-drawn. However, I can't give it 5 stars as there were just too many implausible things that happened throughout the book. I know it is fiction and I understand the concept of suspension of disbelief, but for me there were just too many far-fetched events and characters. I know America is huge and people must go 'on the run' etc, but I found it hard to believe that the characters could really get away with the things they did, even in the States. The ending was a bit too saccharine for me unfortunately. Overall, a reasonable holiday read but in my opinion, not as exceptional as other readers have found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 10 Aug 2009
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
This is a wonderful story of how a naive young girl's actions shape the rest of her life. As a teenager, hopelessly in love, CeeCee allows herself to be led into a dangerous kidnapping which ends tragically. What she does next has devastating consequences for all concerned.
I dithered over this book in the shop, should I buy it or not, wasn't quite sure it would be my kind of read, but it is absolutely brilliant, I couldn't wait to turn the next page, loved it. Looking forward to reading more by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars something else, 5 July 2009
Gemma Ford "gem" (antrim) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
totally loved this book. it gripped me from the blurb at the back. I finished it in 2 days, that is my only fault. I wanted it to go on and on. so many gripping characters and twisting story lines. I did not see the outcome coming at all..... all i can say is please read it!! it's one of those can't put it down books.... you will not be disappointed!
from a literary point of view, perhaps it isn't the best written..... however a book like this needs to be seen for what it is.... an amazing story!! i totally loved it and will be telling anyone who listens to go find it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in ages!, 22 Feb 2009
Mrs. T. Stephens (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
I have not come across this author before, and chose the book because the cover said it was a must for Jodi Picoult fans. I am so glad I did, it was a great read. The writing style is easy to read, but the content is anything but! I couldn't put it down, and the only disappointment was finding myself at the end before I wanted it to be finished! The storyline follows the life of a woman involved in a failed kidnap attempt and the baby she ends up bringing up as a result. It also looks at the rights and wrongs of the death penalty,although not in great detail. It does make you think about a variety of issues though, whilst still being a very entertaining read. I loved it, and am now going to investigate the author's backlist!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 10 April 2009
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
This must be one of the best books that I have read in a long time.
I was hooked from chapter one and couldn't wait to find out the ending .
Diane Chamberlain has a delightful writing style and I just can't wait to read more books from this author
I am a Jodi Piccoult fan , but think this writer is even better. Read it, you will not be dissapointed.

The Lost Daughter
The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain (Paperback - 1 Mar 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01