I read this book only last weekend and have just had to look at the synopsis to remind myself of the characters names. Not sure if that says more about the quality of the book or my memory..

Published on 8 April 2009 by Katie H

2.0 out of 5 stars Very bland
Published on 25 Nov 2010 by Sassy

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have given 3.5 stars if that were an option! Enjoyable, but instantly forgettable.., 8 April 2009
This review is from: The Younger Man (MIRA) (Paperback)

I enjoyed this as a light read, although several serious issues were touched upon with sensitivity. I'm no prude but felt the sex scenes were verging on a little graphic and gratuitous for my liking in some areas (wondered if I'd picked up a Black Lace book after the first 100 pages or so), and the whole book seemed geared purely towards the two main characters ending up in bed together.

I didn't feel that enough attention was focussed on building up the female characters, other than Hazel. I also hardly felt I knew Joe by the end of the book, or believed at all that Hazel and Joe would have an enduring relationship.

I felt this was in the main, a well written book, but something made me feel it had been rushed out to meet a deadline and details had been skimped upon. Interested to see what other readers will think..

5.0 out of 5 stars A confident woman, no matter what age, always gets her guy, 20 July 2011
This review is from: The Younger Man (MIRA) (Paperback)
Let's start with the non-kiss. That is a moment of the novel that has seared itself into my memory as the most seductive few pages that I have EVER read, so much so that I still have occasional flashbacks to that scene even though it's been a few weeks since I finished the book. You'll find it in Chapter....no, actually I won't say which one, because you have to read the rest to fully enjoy the tension, the passion and the subtlety compressed into that scene.

The object is the younger man, but the subject of the book is the older woman, an individual who understands that there is more to life than a best friend's wedding, Mr. Right, and Manolo Blahniks. This is for women who have had their own wedding(s), survived Mr. Wrong, and wear Manolo Blahniks because they want to wear them, not because he likes them.

THE YOUNGER MAN is an ego-boost for an older woman. It reminds us that looks can grab men's attention, but it's the confidence that keeps the good ones there. Ironically we exude confidence when we frankly don't give a damn. That is precisely when men come running. The nugget of truth, the moral in Hazel's story, is that a woman must find herself first, THEN Mr. Right comes looking for her. It never works in the reverse.

THE YOUNGER MAN reminds any woman past thirty that we have much more to offer than glamour magazines, television, and movies would have us believe. Thanks for the reminder Sarah, I needed that!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very bland, 25 Nov 2010
The story moved along at a slow pace, and the author didn't seem to invest much time or growth in any of the characters. Hazel didn't really achieve anything throughout the novel, her love interest, Joe, was wishy-washy. There was no spark or chemistry between them and their was no depth to either of them. I only forced myself to finish it because I hate reading half a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Younger Man: 9 out of 10 stars, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Younger Man (MIRA) (Paperback)
The English really do do it better. I discovered the delightful Sarah Tucker when I first picked up her novel, The Last Year of Being Single. It didn't seem like my type of story, but after reading the first page, I was eager to find out what would happen by the last. When I finished it, I felt sort of changed. I felt like I had to do something; I felt like it wouldn't be quite right for me to just close the book and put it place it on my bookshelf and forget about it forever. So I went online and bought two of her other books. When I was through with them, I contacted her, telling her what a fan I was, and how much I enjoyed her stories. I also asked if she would mind "autographing" the books for me. She doesn't live in the country, so bookplates seemed to be a good idea. She enthusiastically agreed to send me a few, thanking me for being a reader on the way. Two weeks later, I received something in my mailbox, but it wasn't an envelope of bookplates. Sarah had sent me two of her books, two I didn't have, and they were SIGNED! That very same day, I started and finished The Younger Man, and I am thrilled to be able to share my review. It makes me so happy how generous and loving to readers that authors can be these days. This one is for Sarah Tucker.

Blurb: Does life really begin at forty?
Successful, divorced lawyer Hazel Chamberlayne is sexy, independent and about to hit forty. Hazel also has a group of friends she loves and trusts, who love and trust her...and she doesn't need a man.
Not, that is, until the intelligent, engaging and ten years younger Joe Ryan becomes a new partner in the law firm. It's one thing to spice things up with the occasional passionate indulgence, but in a job where the path of true love runs straight into the divorce courts, Hazel isn't sure she can believe in her own happy ever after.
Though, just like a bikini wax, isn't love supposed to be less painful the second time around?

The first idea you get when you read the blurb is "cougartown". It's an idea that seems to be overrated these days, called hot by tabloids like E!News and People magazine. I personally find it annoying because of how "cool" it's made out to be. Why should age differences in relationships be cool? After reading The Younger Man however, I could tell why.

Hazel Chamberlayne is me. I'm not Hazel Chamberlayne, but she's me, she's you, she's every girl who has ever gotten her heart broken. Her love life has been through hell and high water, so at forty, she knows what she wants in life, and it's definitely not a new husband. She's got a beautiful daughter going off to college soon, a tight-knit circle of friends that you and I would both die to have, and is a successful, confident woman with a fantastic high-salary job. She already has a happily-ever-after life, one that began when her marriage ended, so who the hell is Joe Ryan, showing up at her firm like nobody's business? Who the hell is he to make her forget all of that, and to make her want to start over again?

Well, for starters, he's eye candy. Major eye candy. Jaw-dropping, eye-popping, saliva-inducing eye candy. And you know what? This bastard is nice too! And dare I say it --funny! (collective gasp!!).

Before she can tell herself not to fall for this guy, she finds herself falling for him anyway. It's bad enough that's he's so darned perfect; why must he be ten years younger?

I winced, I smiled, I teared up, and I damn near fell off the sofa laughing, while reading The Younger Man. Tucker's charming, goofy British style is sure to make you as well. I have to warn you though, there was some pretty funny English lingo that I didn't quite understand, but it wasn't awful; I could figure out most of it by context. I love Sarah/Hazel's voice, though. British people are so suave and cynically hilarious. I enjoyed this one a lot. I also now love them Brits :)

Radical Rating: 9 hearts- One of my all-time favorites! :)

Review by: Stephanie

1.0 out of 5 stars Load of tosh, 23 May 2009
This review is from: The Younger Man (MIRA) (Paperback)
I have got to say from the gratuitous brazilian wax in opening chapter, ooh aren't I shocking to the not so sexy texting (yeuck) and the daft names for the nightclub Pisstake?? This book is writing by numbers. Dialogue is awful. Nobody talks like that especially aforementioned waxer. No real plot. Random death of friend from breast cancer thrown in. I's a big issue but we don't care because never get any real idea of the characters. Whole trip to Disneyland there so author could add some piece about what you should have done by a certain age. Know this is meant to be a light read but there are loads better ones out there. This sort of book gives chick lit a bad name! I agree with the other review totally and would take it further as I skimmed over the last half as I couldn't take anymore.

The Younger Man (MIRA)
The Younger Man (MIRA) by Sarah Tucker (Paperback - 1 Feb 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01