on 3 August 2003
Avery Chauvin returns home from the big city to her small home town after twelve years. Her father's committed suicide and the small town where she grew up which still looks the same on the surface is harbouring deep, dark secrets. The secrets are buried deep in the past and someone wants to keep the truth hidden. People disappear and others are murdered. Avery, an investigative reporter, knows they are all linked to her fathers death - but can she find out the why and who before she meets a grizzly end.
Her old boyfriend and his family, along with the rest of the town initially welcome her back with open arms - initially, but as she begins to delve into the myserious happenings she senses their feelings toward her changing. Her old boyfriends' twin brother is back in town - the rift between him and the rest of his family is now a chasm too wide to cross and although drawn to him Avery is suspicious of his motives.
Wonderful characters with emotion and their own broken dreams. Avery learns much about heself and her friends and family as she is drawn into a web of deceit and danger, never quite knowing who to trust.
The Seven are at the same time a group who appear far-fetched, yet altogether too real.
A spiral of tension builds well through the book, and I got the 'bad guys'totally wrong. For once the ending is both well written logical and unrushed - so many just lately seem to fizzle out at the end.
An excellent book, well worth the read and if it is the first of Ms Spindler's book you've read it won't be the last.
enjoy!
on 15 February 2010
Only the second Erica Spindler I have read and I would recommend this one. It has twists and turns that left me guessing - wrongly every time. Great read, well written and grips from beginning to end.
on 4 November 2003
Judging by the other reviews for Erica Spindler's novels, I have to say I was expecting something rather more spectacular than this.
I thought the writing was poor, particularly the sex scenes. It was only after a friend informed me that Ms Spindler used to write romance novels that I understood. The men are extremely cliched and although the protaganist has got punch, it does tend to grate that she can be quite intelligent normally but put a sexy man in the room and she turns into jelly.
Having said that though, this is a decent enough story and perfect to while away a few hours, although if you're looking for a decent thriller that is well-written with a lot more bite, try Lisa Gardner.
VINE VOICEon 17 January 2004
When i first started reading this book i had very high expectations after i picked it out having never heard of this author, however; i really couldnt get into it to start with. The plot didnt seem to be there, the character build up was based on only three characters - Avery, Hunter and Matt and generally it just didnt have that "gripping" story line. But i did persevere and finally after 100 pages (no less!) the story was so gripping i couldnt put it down! I was late for work on several occassions and more so on my dinner breaks!
Once the book got to the gripping parts it is an excellent read, the story itself is very unique and the characters in it are real with more character build up as the story progresses. However i do agree with another reviewer about Avery, she appeared in the book as an intelligent witty down right stubborn kind of girl, but as soon as a hunk was within a ten meter radius she went to pot! This story has several twists in it particularly toward the end and generally speaking i did guess "who dunnit" But motive wise that is the clincher!
A slow start to an otherwise exceptional book definately not the last i will be reading from this Author!
on 30 July 2003
This is the first Erica Spindler novel I have read but certainly won't be the last. It had me hooked from the first page and I finished it in a record 3 days! It has enough twists and turns to fool the most hardened crime reader. It had me gasping out in sheer terror and excitement and I couldn't wait to find out how it would end!!!
I'm not ususally a fan of such books, but this was a real eye-opener and certainly kept me entertained! Just one word of advice...try not to read it when you are alone in your house!
on 22 November 2004
Erica Spindler is new to me and this was my first book by her. I was hooked by the first page (always a good sign) and cannot wait to read more of her work. I thought I knew who it was, then the plot made me think my reasoning, then brought me back to my original idea and around again. Good twists and turns. Good strong characters too. A must for anyone who wants a very good read.
on 5 February 2012
I've just given up on two books in two nights. ( Not from this author ). So picking this book up, has restored my faith in the crime thriller again. I can't say all the books by Erica Spindler have held my attention, but this one has. Get to bed early, and keep the lights on. You are in for one hell of a ride. Excellent book.
on 4 July 2006
This was my first book by the author and unfortunately, it will most likely be my last. Ok, so the story was bearable but was it just me who noticed the appalling English? Sentences that didn't make sense? I appreciate that it might be a translation (as it was first printed in Spain, I think) but I wasn't impressed by the translator!
on 8 February 2015
Are we all reading the same book? I thought it was appallingly bad, like walking through quicksand, so much so I barely finished it.
on 11 January 2013
I couldn't put this book down one of Erica's best. Really good with twists and turns, would recommend this to anyone.