4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book on watercolour and a bit on sketching
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:26 Mins
The original edition for this book is actually in German and it's called Wasserfarbe für Gestalter. That was published in 2011 and is one of my favourite books on watercolour and sketching. And I can't read German.

Published 3 months ago by Parka

2.0 out of 5 stars For me, not a pleasing style
I should have waited to see the video review before buying. We all know styles of sketching we like/don't like. I normally like a loose, informal style but my impression of this book in one word would be "messy", but look at the video review and judge for yourself, you may love this style.
Published 1 month ago by biro man

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book on watercolour and a bit on sketching, 8 April 2014
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Urban Watercolor Sketching: A Guide to Drawing, Painting, and Storytelling in Color (Paperback)
Length:: 1:26 Mins

The author is Felix Scheinberger from Germany and has published other books as well. I'm so glad that the English edition for this is finally available. It's really well translated.

There are two publisher for this book as I know, namely Watson-Guptill which seems to be distributing for the western market and Page One Publishing for Asia. They have slightly different cover art. The subtitle is also a bit different, one is "storytelling in color" and the other is "dreaming in color".

This is a paperback edition compared to the hardcover German edition. It's still 156 pages and the layout is the same. I prefer the hardcover format because you can open both pages flat, and there are quite a few drawings printed across the gutter. That's my only complaint about the paperback format.

The book features tips on using watercolour for sketching. The translation as I mentioned is fantastic. It's light hearted and conversational. It's a breeze to read through and the contents covers practical tips on using watercolours and colours. You'll read about the different hues, techniques, colour schemes, symbolism, mixing, materials, and more. You can tell the author is very knowledgeable about the subject, and would occasionally include stories on the history of colours as they were used centuries ago.

One reason why I like the book so much is because of the wonderful sketches. I really love the free and loose style, vibrant and energetic colours. I feel a sense childlike wonder coming from the watercolour sketches. I'll still keep my German edition just so that I can admire the drawings easier with the book flat.

Even though the title has the word 'Urban' in it, nothing in the book is specific about using watercolours in the urban setting. Hence the 4 out of 5 stars rating. With the tips, you can use them in any setting. I feel that the title is trying to ride on the wave of current popularity that comes from location or urban sketching. This book is different from those urban sketching books. This covers more on watercolour techniques which is more useful as it builds on your drawing foundation, in this case on using colours.

This as one of my 2014 favourite art books.

Highly recommended to those who love colours, watercolour, sketching and art.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books in the genre, 10 April 2014
Excellent translation of the original German text and unlike many of the other recent Urban Sketching books focus is just on the author's work. Really nice idiosyncratic style but his enthusiasm and energy really come through. As another reviewer mentioned the words "Urban" and "Sketching" are possibly added to cash in on the current popularity but in this case it is fair enough. Unlike a lot of other sketching books I actually learned quite a few new things from this.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 8 Jun 2014
An excellent book on watercolour sketching, though nothing at all to do with urban sketching. I loved everything about it, from the writing to the illustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is good. If the title 'Urban Watercolour Sketching' helps it ..., 10 July 2014
This book is good. If the title 'Urban Watercolour Sketching' helps it sell more copies I'm ok with that, but as other reviewers have noted, it's about more than urban sketching. For me, it is the explanation of colour theory throughout which makes this book stand out. I now realise why it is that I often completely wreck my artwork once I apply paint. Very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 20 Jun 2014
Carrie (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
Very different to most of my art books - not an 'how to' book, but imparts lots of information and ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refresher, 7 Jun 2014
Richard Bell "wildlife illustrator" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This made perfect holiday reading, a short refresher course in watercolour and one that I'll dip into again.
It's almost exclusively pen and ink and watercolour, punkish and streetwise, rather than the wistful rural tradition of Cotman and Beatrix Potter but the techniques and the way colours behave are still the same and Scheinberger goes through them briskly and thoroughly.
Worth reading if you think you might be getting set in your ways with watercolour because, whether you agree or disagree with Scheinberger's conclusions, it does make you consider every aspect of watercolours that you can think of and several that probably never occurred to you. For instance I like the way he champions indigo and Naples yellow; colours which have apparent disadvantages that he suggests can be turned to your advantage. Must try them.
As an illustrator, I like the way he touches on page design, developing ideas and the question of 'how much is your picture worth?'
As for the urban element, he can't quite convince me that I'd enjoy painting a prefab block of apartments in Romania more than an old farm Provence, but I can see what he's getting at.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, with some great tips and examples of work., 15 May 2014
One of the better books of this genre. Great page layouts and examples of work. The tips and techniques are really helpful and put across in a nice way. I really recommend this book for beginners and pros alike you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars For me, not a pleasing style, 1 Jun 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright to flick thro, 28 April 2014
tThis book was not what I expected.I am very keen to learn as much as I can about how yo sketch, this book did not come up to my expectations

13.27