5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for those who want to get closer to God
I read this book when I was 15 years old, now I am 16 years old and I still find this book inspiring. I used to be a 'casual christian' but I am glad to say that I feel that I am moving on to greater hights. I never knew that the simple yet quite difficult act (for me) of fasting and praying could yield such astounding results in a person's life as well as other people's...
Published on 11 Mar 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars shallow
Published on 8 Mar 2011 by Anne Power

5.0 out of 5 stars prayer and fasting, 4 Nov 2013
Been studying this for a year or so, and someone read chapter 3 at a study group.
As it was on kindle, I bought it.
It is very challenging as far as I have read

5.0 out of 5 stars fasting not your thing?, 19 July 2013
read this book if you are frustrated with prayer. do not read this book if you are not prepared for a serious challenge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, God centred, Biblically based and provoking!, 26 Jun 2013
This is a fantastic book, full of insight and wisdom, but also reminds us of the power of God, what He can do through us, because of us and with us!

Reader do not fear, not all of us are called the ministry Mahesh is called to, but God still wants to work through you where you are at in life! The stories in this book are not to make you jealous, but rather to make you thirsty, for more of the living God!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Inspiring, 3 Jun 2013
PK "PK" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hidden Power of Prayer and Fasting: Releasing the Awesome Power of the Praying Church (Paperback)
I've been wrestling with the idea of fasting for a little while, and God has used this book to give me added inspiration and motivation. I like Mahesh Chavda's encouraging style - he's seen some amazing things through prayer and fasting and so has much to be positive about, but he's also realistic about his own special call in this area - so it's encouraging and challenging without being guilt-inducing. He's also humble about some of his failures as well.

Theologically he's firmly in the charismatic evangelical camp, but I didn't find it as sectarian as one reviewer seemed to imply.

Overall a really encouraging book that given me a boost & challenge in the journey of fasting and given my spiritual life a big lift. God bless you as you take up the challenge.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Encouragement to Me, 23 Feb 2013
I bought this book in order to get an insight from someone who had been fasting and praying seriously over many years. The author, like myself, has felt a pull from the Holy Spirit to fast and to pray and has been obedient and has seen God's Spirit move and great works and power flow through his life as a result of the commitment he took to fast and pray to seek God's face.

This isn't the definitive book on fasting and prayer, (I've read a few as I'm serious about prayer and study and getting a closer relationship with God) but I was encouraged to keep on going, keep on seeking God and trusting in His might because if we seek Him in prayer with a well meaning heart, he will not fail to answer you. The book doesn't really tell you much about the how to and the practicalities of fasting and prayer as it focuses more on the results of fasting and prayer in the life of the author. If you are new to fasting and prayer and want something that breaks it right down try: The Beginner's Guide to Fasting and Prayer by Elmer L. Towns.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!, 13 Sep 2012
My friend recommended this book to me and at first I was quite hesitant. Even though I have been a Christian for three years I didn't know much about fasting, I only knew more about prayer. This book is fantastic at explaining the hidden meaning behind them both and explain how the two go hand in hand with each other. It explains how to actually fast according to what God says in his word and details fasts that you can do. There are amazing testimonies from Mehesh's own life experiences which are mind blowing! This book is amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone, I have actually got two of my friends to order it as well!! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 10 May 2011
I did enjoy this book it enlightned me about fasting and made clear a few grey areas I had concerning fasting. In places I must say I feel the book was longer than neccessary but I would reccommend it because Mahesh gets a good balance of testimonies of what fasting has done for him and his ministry and back it up with scripture consitently throughout the book!

1.0 out of 5 stars shallow, 8 Mar 2011
This is a disappointing book. I had expected a deep evaluation of the role of fasting in the history of the praying church. This was lacking. The writer makes a leap from the 1st century church to the Protestant reformers as if nothing had happened in between. He cites John Wesley's practice of fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays but fails to acknowledge that this has been Catholic practice for centuries. Sigh.
The writer comes across as someone with a great sense of his own importance. The book is filled with anecdotes of marvels and miracles attributable to his intercession, but there is too much emphasis on physical healing as a raison d'etre for the practice of fasting. This is an imbalanced view. As with so many books by American authors, the author writes as if America were the centre of the world. This is irritating.
I think there must be better books on the subject.

Used & New from: 0.01